Options

Santander to be the next Northern Rock ?

ShoobeedooShoobeedoo Posts: 304
Forum Member
With people queing round the block to get their money, I doubt it as the government will once again guarantee all depositors money.

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the Telegraph, "Santander UK is regulated by the Financial Services Authority and all its deposits are covered under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) which means deposits of £85,000 per person per financial institution are guaranteed."
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not! I have my mortgage with them
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Santander UK is a separate company from the Spanish bank. Don't panic anyone.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

phew thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's happening with Santander I haven't heard the news this morning?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I hope not! I have my mortgage with them

Me too!! How nice would it be if they wrote off the debt and we got our houses for free!!:D:D
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too!! How nice would it be if they wrote off the debt and we got our houses for free!!:D:D

Nah, it didn't happen for us with northern rock unfortunately :D
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah. More likely they'd call the loan in to bolster their balance sheet - especially if there's a risk of your house going into negative equity :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, it didn't happen for us with northern rock unfortunately :D
    Andrue wrote: »
    Nah. More likely they'd call the loan in to bolster their balance sheet - especially if there's a risk of your house going into negative equity :)

phillistines
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Way too simplistic. It is a subsidiary of Banco Santander although it is rated slightly higher than its parent. The parent could draw on Santander's assets, though one rating agency believes there is a low risk of the FSA allowing this to occur to the extent that Santander UK itself is weakened.
    It does have a lot of retail deposits and is pretty imbedded in the UK network, so nothing like Northern Rock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Way too simplistic. It is a subsidiary of Banco Santander although it is rated slightly higher than its parent. The parent could draw on Santander's assets, though one rating agency believes there is a low risk of the FSA allowing this to occur to the extent that Santander UK itself is weakened.
    It does have a lot of retail deposits and is pretty imbedded in the UK network, so nothing like Northern Rock.

true enough....

In other news; in order to further distance itself from its Spanish parent it will be changing its name to "Sh!tander".... its unofficial name with staff since it was rebranded from Abbey.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    According to the Telegraph, "Santander UK is regulated by the Financial Services Authority and all its deposits are covered under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) which means deposits of £85,000 per person per financial institution are guaranteed."

This is why you never keep more than that in one bank account.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The economic expert on the radio this morning said that Santander in the UK was as safe as any bank could be.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just taken out an ISA at 4% with them, hurry it expires at the end of May.