Options

I was disappointed by Jorgie's routine when I finally saw it

VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I missed the first show and am only now catching up by watching clips online.

After reading many, many positive comments about Jorgie's routine, and knowing she'd received high marks, I was expecting something more impressive.

I'm not saying it was bad or even over-marked, just that it didn't quite live up to the comments.

However, I'll be interested to see how she compares to Jennifer in the weeks that come.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over-hyped always leads to disappointment; but her routine has a haunting quality which makes people re-watch it - so say the viewers on Youtube.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was elegant in holds and lifts as you might reasonably expect but her skating skills are still to be tested.

I do wish it was lift free for at least the first three weeks and instead give them all a required element or set pattern.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Jorgie and Jennifer will have to do uptempo at some point, so we'll see how they will cope with more ice contact:)
  • Options
    TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    I missed the first show and am only now catching up by watching clips online.

After reading many, many positive comments about Jorgie's routine, and knowing she'd received high marks, I was expecting something more impressive.

I'm not saying it was bad or even over-marked, just that it didn't quite live up to the comments.

However, I'll be interested to see how she compares to Jennifer in the weeks that come.

I have been thinking the same thing and was thinking I was the only one. Its good but I didn't find it outstanding.

As you say it will be interesting to see how things develop over the next few weeks especially as Jennifer and Jorgie have both got dance backgrounds and think there will be interesting routines from both.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just a matter of psychology. If you have no expectations, something very good will seem outstanding, because you were taken by surprise. By contrast, if you already had very high expectations beforehand, then chances are they won't be met.

Personally, I thought Jorgie's performance was gorgeous. But it annoyed me how she was somehow seen as "untouchable" afterwards. Why shouldn't Matt and Chico match or exceed her score I kept asking myself. They were easily as good, and in Matt's case better.
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jorgie was good and has potential. But when the judges start to use comments like "best ever week one performance". It doesn't do the contestant any favours because people will know expect too much from Jorgie as a result.
  • Options
    CombatHamsterCombatHamster Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jorgie's next routine looks very fast and frantic so it will be interesting to compare.

I loved her routine, the main bit where she skated on her own looked very assured and so graceful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Maybe it's just a matter of psychology. If you have no expectations, something very good will seem outstanding, because you were taken by surprise. By contrast, if you already had very high expectations beforehand, then chances are they won't be met.

Personally, I thought Jorgie's performance was gorgeous. But it annoyed me how she was somehow seen as "untouchable" afterwards. Why shouldn't Matt and Chico match or exceed her score I kept asking myself. They were easily as good, and in Matt's case better.
    I think that's right, about psychology, up to a point: what made it disappointing is how it seemed compared to what the comments had made me expect.

But even if I'd come to it fresh, I don't think I'd have been saying wonderful, gorgeous, chills, breataking, etc

It was very good for a week 1 routine, though, and I think she has a lot of potential.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was really gliding on the ice and everything she did seemed to be done at just the right speed (though it was a slow routine) - the quality of her movement and the precision was what made it seem so graceful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the lifts were good. She holds herself very well but she just wasn't as good when she actually had her feet on the ice. More knee bend is needed and she has to work on finishing off each move properly. She could be really good if she puts the work in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought her routine was lovely .. it was a bit lift and trick heavy but most of the female routines are like that especially at the beginning ... I hope we get to see more of her skating skills this week

I much preferred her routine to Jennifer's ... I get the feeling that we're going to see what Jennifer's had for lunch everyweek .. just like Seb rolling on the ice I sense that Jennifer's rubber legs are going to feature in most of their routines :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jorgie's next routine looks very fast and frantic so it will be interesting to compare.
    Yes, but it looks like it will contain some of the dreaded "pick dancing". (Dreaded by me anyway.)

(I mean where the celebs gets up on toe picks so they don't slide across the ice, making it easier to adapt off-ice dance moves.)

One thing I liked about Jorgie's week 1 routine is that it didn't have any of that -- and also didn't have the sort of dancing / posing in one place, or while walking, that were in Chico's and Matt's routines.

Jorgie's was a proper ice dance without such "cheats".
    diamond1 wrote: »
    I thought her routine was lovely .. it was a bit lift and trick heavy but most of the female routines are like that especially at the beginning ... I hope we get to see more of her skating skills this week.
    I don't mind lifts as much as I do the things I mentioned above.

But they should be lifts that obviously require some skill on the woman's part, rather than making it look like she's just being flung about.

I'm a bit worried about Jorgie (and Jenn) in later weeks, because there are some strong male skaters that will make it hard for them to get above 4th or 5th in the leaderboard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the pick and static dancing ... an easy way to full up the routine without any actual skating .... I also don't llike it when they include some off ice dancing in the routine .. I think Mark says he has some of that this week
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    I agree about the pick and static dancing ... an easy way to full up the routine without any actual skating .... I also don't llike it when they include some off ice dancing in the routine .. I think Mark says he has some of that this week

I think in Mark's case it might be a blessed relief from him plodding around the ice at a funereal pace. :eek: