Options

"Missus" and "Wifey"

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone (guys) use these terms for partners or girlfriends you are not actually married to? I just don't get it :confused::confused:

Somebody has just tweeted he is going to the cinema with the "wifey" and they aren't even living together never mind married.

But the "missus" is the one that gets my goat. I hate it being used for someone who is your wife, but why use it for someone that isn't??

Why??? :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why, and Idgaf.

People do and say all kinds of thizzangs. I space out whenever people are talking about their partner, girlfriend, hubby, wifey, baby-momma, child-father etc. I simply don't care.
  • Options
    lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Guys who are too poor to get them an engagement ring.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work with a guy who referred to his wife as 'our woman'. He also liked to leave emails from her open on his screen, so that we could see that she called him 'red hot lover man'. He was ace.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »

People do and say all kinds of thizzangs. I space out whenever people are talking about their partner, girlfriend, hubby, wifey, baby-momma, child-father etc. I simply don't care.

Your contribution is slightly off kilter are you in that sort of mood?

As to the OP, I o find it a bit illy too but he can only be a thing that may have been passed down through generations I expect and copied without knowing why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Your contribution is slightly off kilter are you in that sort of mood?

No it isn't lol.

I'm not in any sort of mood! :mad: :D
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a problem with talking about partners when there is no actual 'marriage'.

I quite often hear, in this neck of the woods, Missus, used ordinarily to identify a long term partner.

It's especially difficult when you're older 'boyfriend' and 'girl friend' sound ridiculous when you're over forty.

'Lover' is a bit pretentious and also just emphasizes that you have sex.

'Partner' is really formal and clinical.

~What should people say?

I don't know.
  • Options
    NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I perceive 'wifey' to be a try hard expression used by men who want everyone to know they are in a relationship...in spite of this, it still sounds patronising

I just think of people like Phil Mitchell when i hear 'missus', it's a bit cliched and unimaginative
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    I find it confusing when a woman calls another woman 'wifey' and neither are gay :confused:
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NatoPMT wrote: »
    I perceive 'wifey' to be a try hard expression used by men who want everyone to know they are in a relationship...in spite of this, it still sounds patronising

I just think of people like Phil Mitchell when i hear 'missus', it's a bit cliched and unimaginative

What should they say though?

'She who must be obeyed'?

'Her indoors'?

'The love of my life'?

It's all a bit weird.
  • Options
    BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate hearing "our lass".
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You cared enough to tell us you don't care though ;)

Anyway, I often refer to the fairer sex as "mrs" - but really only as a term of endearment. I do also think "partner" is far too formal. I don't mind "other half" though I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, I did. It is one of things. If someone's moaning, ya gotta moan too. Circle of life n dat, init bruv?
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    'Missus' seems ok to me, 'Wifey' just isn't.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I did. It is one of things. If someone's moaning, ya gotta moan too. Circle of life n dat, init bruv?

Fo' Shizzle my Nizzle just seems the appropriate response ..
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH never calls me 'Missus' or 'Wifey'. I like Missus and wouldn't mind him calling me that but it's not a word he'd use. He's in his 40s and I'm in my 30s so we're a bit old to call each other boyfriend and girlfriend. He calls me his partner and I say the same, even though it makes me cringe. Wifey is terrible though, shame on any man who uses that word. :D
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought wifey was an Aberdeen expression. never heard English people using it before.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone (guys) use these terms for partners or girlfriends you are not actually married to? I just don't get it :confused::confused:

Somebody has just tweeted he is going to the cinema with the "wifey" and they aren't even living together never mind married.

But the "missus" is the one that gets my goat. I hate it being used for someone who is your wife, but why use it for someone that isn't??

Why??? :confused::confused::confused:

Agreed, but one thing I keep seeing on facebook from female friends is references to "The Mister" for their boyfriends/partners.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear 'missus' more than 'wifey'. I'm fine with the former and not so much with the latter. The latter is just too weird.

My old boss referred his live-in partner, who was also the mother of his three children, as "my wife". I never knew her name in all three years I worked for him. I still don't know, actually.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot this.

I had a friend who referred his live-in partner as "wifelet". You have no idea how much I hated hearing that from him.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call a woman that. Although I don't really mind the term"hubby". Also in Scotland (don't know about other places), men call women "birds".
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I had a mate who called his longterm girlfriend "the old dribble".

I didn't get around to asking him how he arrived at that name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I had a mate who called his longterm girlfriend "the old dribble".

I didn't get around to asking him how he arrived at that name.

:eek:
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you do need a word to describe the peculiar form of "ownership" of a relationship, though, do you not? especially a marriage.

My wife, My husband, My other half, etc etc.

I think missus is just the writen form of Mrs,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    I hate hearing "our lass".

same.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, I often refer to the fairer sex as "mrs" - but really only as a term of endearment. I do also think "partner" is far too formal. I don't mind "other half" though I suppose.

You were the first person I thought of when I saw the word missus :D

Then again we are actually married so it doesn't count

Bwahahaha
  • Options
    allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We use Wifey and Hubby, but in private. We have them in our phones too, as my brother and husband have the same name, and I have the same name as a collegue of his.