Router QoS settings for iPlayer

Hey folks,

I live in a household with three other people, and occasionally I see stuttering and halting when watching iPlayer.

Has anyone tried enabling QoS in their router to give a smoother performance for iPlayer and other VoD services?

Any suggestions/recommendations?

If anyone if wondering, we have a Zyxel P-660R-D1.

Comments

• masona2masona2 Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's your ISP provider?

In saying that, I thought QoS was provided by your ISP, not your router.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    masona2 wrote: »
    Who's your ISP provider?

In saying that, I thought QoS was provided by your ISP, not your router.

Quality of service. Qos.

it's provided by both.

however many ISP's use it to throttle your speed if you torrent too much.

BT have one as does Talk Talk, it gives priority for vision/ talk talk tv. so that those services become uninterrupted.

However many home routers have it too, and enabling the media priority QOS setting allows for iplayer and the like to perform much better.
    Forum Member
    Hey folks,

I live in a household with three other people, and occasionally I see stuttering and halting when watching iPlayer.

Has anyone tried enabling QoS in their router to give a smoother performance for iPlayer and other VoD services?

Any suggestions/recommendations?

If anyone if wondering, we have a Zyxel P-660R-D1.

login to your router, find the QOS tab, try looking for a media setting and enable that. if your router allows for QOS for selected pc's then enable the pc used for iplayer.

that way all other pc's will be throttled back and the iplayer pc given priority.
  • masona2masona2 Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    login to your router, find the QOS tab, try looking for a media setting and enable that. if your router allows for QOS for selected pc's then enable the pc used for iplayer.

that way all other pc's will be throttled back and the iplayer pc given priority.

Clever. I didn't know that.

As side - how do you log into your router?
    Forum Member
    masona2 wrote: »
    Clever. I didn't know that.

As side - how do you log into your router?

you'll need to know its IP address. usually it's:

192.168.1.1 or

or in the case of the homehub

enter that into your browser and you should get a page.

it'll either ask for a login page usually user accounts set at something like admin admin.

but on the homehub there is no user, just click settings then it'll want the password.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need to get a router that have QOS, so my wii and PS3 can take priority. My old Thomson don't have QOs or my Netgear, not that it matters with the net gear as it don't work anymore