SD Output: Auto or 1080i

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
Forum Member
This has been discussed many times before, I'm sure. I was just out to gather current opinion...

We have traditionally set our Samsung HD box to output SD content on Auto (i.e. 540p). With our Panasonic TV, this tends to give the best quality.

The problem we have now is that the latest software release of last week or so is inherently unstable, and particularly when switching from 540p to 1080i HD content or vice versa. As a result, I have changed the output setting to 1080i to avoid the resolution switching.

Do you have your box set to Auto to 1080i?

Do you have any thoughts on whether the 1080i setting provides more stable performance?

Do you experience any noticeable difference in the quality of SD output between the two options for you?

Thanks,

Alex.

Comments

• bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Pace HD box set to "auto" connecting to a Panny plasma.

I have not noticed any stability problems associated with the new software, it always took a few seconds to stabilise when switching between SD and HD (and still does) but I never considered that a problem - having to keep manually switching between 4:3 and 16:9 would have been.

The most noticeable change with the new software is the 30s start up coming out of standby but this is not a major issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I agree with bobcar - I too have a Pace HD box and have had no problems with the update apart from the boot up lag. I have resolution set to auto, instant rewind and anytime off. Picture quality on the Pace has always been excellent.
  • Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I leave my box on 1080i connected to my Phillips TV.

Works fine with all PQ formats

Found the 'Auto' setting a pain. The screen would go blank when I switched to an SD channel, and you can't avoid them altogether.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Found the 'Auto' setting a pain. The screen would go blank when I switched to an SD channel, and you can't avoid them altogether.

Same here. 1080i for exactly the same reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's just a matter of what bothers you, I couldn't care less about the switching resolution delays but keeping on manually changing the aspect ratio would be a real pain.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    It's just a matter of what bothers you, I couldn't care less about the switching resolution delays but keeping on manually changing the aspect ratio would be a real pain.

Plus some TV's won't allow you to switch the aspect ratio while receiving an HD signal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus some TV's won't allow you to switch the aspect ratio while receiving an HD signal.
    Yep, Samsung are a prime example of this. (Or they used to be, I don't know about the latest models).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Yep, Samsung are a prime example of this. (Or they used to be, I don't know about the latest models).

I had a new Samsung 3D TV last week..... thankfully they now allow AR control for HD.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    I prefer to leave mine on 1080i since its quicker when switching channels between SD and HD. I also find the upscaler in the pace box better than my sony bravia
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here.
    I like to keep the upscaling on SD channels rather than revert back to 576i or whatever and that blank screen that happens when the box switches on Auto gets on my wick.

The only annoying thing is the lack of correct 4:3 aspect ratio when using the 1080i setting.

My Freesat boxes handle auto switching to 4:3 no problem, but the Sky box can't. :mad:
  • drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auto on my Paces, would rather wait a few seconds than put up with a single second of stretchy vision.

Wasn't the 1080i 4:3 aspect ratio switching removed because of a certain Pioneer Plasma, surly its now way past end of life by now and switching should be re-implemented?
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    im interested to no what version of Pace box you guys have?

I have a Pace 9F3002 and since the last update to add anytime+ (which i cant use as i dont have sky BB) its become painfully slow changing channel, and navigating the guide
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »

I have a Pace 9F3002 and since the last update to add anytime+ (which i cant use as i dont have sky BB) its become painfully slow changing channel, and navigating the guide

3003 here and exactly the same as you. Have a search around, there are plenty with similar problems.
  • drabbledrabble Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »

9F3002 and 9F3005.

My 9F3005 slowed to a crawl after the first Darwin release back in September last year, after each update it has got better and I'd say its now as fast if not faster than pre-Darwin 9.10.13a.

The 9F3002 I recently acquired had pre-Darwin 9.10.13a which I force updated to Darwin SYSF26.59.01/40.0.14.1 and haven't had many issues, in fact I think the only issue is the disk randomly spinning up when in standby which I thought might because of pushed Anytime, its just as fast as my 9F3005.

Both are set up the same, pushed Anytime enabled, Anytime+ disabled, instant rewind disabled, mini-TV enabled, auto standby enabled, output automatic, and no pre-Darwin recordings.

Anyway there is meant to be a newer version of Darwin SYSF26.70 available later this week for a short time on the forced download stream, I might upgrade one box and do a side by side comparison if there is a Pace version.
  • xtazxtaz Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I'm possibly slightly strange in that I prefer watching 4:3 in stretched widescreen, and I hate how the screen blanks for a couple of seconds and then comes up with an info banner when it switches resolution. So I just leave it on 1080i and it's perfect for me. I have one of the newer slim Amstrad's and it seems to upscale pretty well in my opinion.
  • njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    I have my Pace PVR4 output set to Automatic as I prefer to watch 4:3 shows in 4:3 as I don't like fattyvision.

Since the new 40.0.14.1 software I have had three instances where, during the resolution switch, which causes my TV to blank out whilst it changes resolution, it comes back to a blank display. For the next minute the box is sluggish and takes a while to respond to standby button presses, but then after a minute it turns off and on at will and recordings continue (except for the recording that was in progress at the time of the failed resolution change, which say "Part Rec - Technical Fault -7"). Although I can't see anything, I tried changing between HD and SD Sky channels to invoke another resolution change but that has no effect. Requires the plug to be removed to restore video output.
  • johnashjohnash Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but I don't understand the issue with aspect ratios. I have my Amstrad 1Tb box set to 1080i and 4:3 programmes are always presented in the correct format on my Panasonic plasma. No switching to do, no delays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnash wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't understand the issue with aspect ratios. I have my Amstrad 1Tb box set to 1080i and 4:3 programmes are always presented in the correct format on my Panasonic plasma. No switching to do, no delays.

Unless this box is different to all the others (and then I'd have expected to heard about it) then that is not correct.

Yes on HD channels (except Sky Sports for some reason) the transmission will have bars down the side for 4:3 programming, however on SD 4:3 the box does not insert bars and so the 4:3 programme will be in fattyvision.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a new Samsung 3D TV last week..... thankfully they now allow AR control for HD.

Samsung have a allowed AR control on HD for a couple of years now on most of their sets.
    Marti S wrote: »
    I prefer to leave mine on 1080i since its quicker when switching channels between SD and HD. I also find the upscaler in the pace box better than my sony bravia

Auto for me. I have my Pace box connected to an external scaler and it also sorts out the AR switching on SD broadcasts so no stretchy-vision. :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    It's all really quite simple:

1) The original default setting was Auto - so every box you installed you had to alter to 1080i.

2) By the second 'wave' of production, the default had been changed to 1080i - saving the installer having to alter it.

3) Setting the box to Auto during install causes far more service calls complaining about the box.

4) It's a customer setting, just as how loud the volume should be turned up is, individual customers should set it how they personally prefer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnash wrote: »

Just on the HD channels? Or on SD channels as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member

My Samsung 3D TV doesn't seem to do this. Is there a setting for it?

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onzey wrote: »
    My Samsung 3D TV doesn't seem to do this. Is there a setting for it?

Thanks.

Mine has a button labelled P.SIZE towards the bottom of the remote. I tap that to cycle through different picture sizes when needed.
  • frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely bother using the remote for my Samsung tv seeing as my son lost the batterys which is so annoying as I was having to watch all 4 3 stuff in make everyone fat-o-vision however one night my brother came round and bothered to program my sky remote for the tv and literally half an hour ago I just discovered in tv mode the play button cycles through the tvs picture modes so all 's good in the world, but why the hell is sky so retarded not to have options to automatically set the picture how you want it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Mine has a button labelled P.SIZE towards the bottom of the remote. I tap that to cycle through different picture sizes when needed.

Thanks for reply but I've misunderstood. I know about the P.SIZE button but I thought perhaps you were talking about some automatic AR control setting.