The Feel Good Network - Bright/Splash/Arrow/Sovereign

overlineoverline Posts: 1,898
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's occurred to me that we don't see much on here about Media Sound Holdings' 'Feel Good Network' in Sussex, unlike a similar size network in the form of TotalStar, is that because they are actually doing a fairly good job?

I've just posted on the TS thread holding-up the Feel Good Network as an example of how networking can work and still produce a 'local feel' for the listeners to each station involved.

I've heard a bit of both Sovereign & Arrow, but mainly Bright & Splash. When they first started daytime networking they had a few technical issues occasionally, with music playing over ads or ads crashing into the news, etc.

But, they seem to have sorted that out fairly quickly and I've not heard anything like that since they even started networking Breakfast & Drive some months ago.

There is less reference by the presenter, for example of Worthing on Splash during Breakfast now, although the few people I know in that area that listen didn't notice the change and had no idea the show was now shared across 4 stations - and that's the clever bit. There seems to be plenty of local information, with local references, inserted during the shows.

News, traffic, what's on guide, certain competitions & station/website promos are all VERY local, as are station IDs which include mentions for the towns, areas & villages covered - there's a real local feel, unlike with TS.

And there's no shortage ads, which would suggest they are doing it right.

But, I confess I tend to only hear short bursts of these stations when driving in the area, so I could be wrong and therefore I am interested in hearing what others think.

Comments

• RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love listening to either Splash Fm or Bright. I agree you would not think that the programme was not local to the area. I think there must be separate links sent out to each area but it is not noticable.
  • overlineoverline Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridgieman wrote: »
    I love listening to either Splash Fm or Bright. I agree you would not think that the programme was not local to the area. I think there must be separate links sent out to each area but it is not noticable.

I did wonder if some of the links were separate for each station, as I am sure I have heard, using Splash as the example, presenter mentions of the Worthing area, but never Hastings or Eastbourne on Splash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many views, so few replies.

Are no DS-ers listening, or are they just happy with what the 'Feel Good Network' is doing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    overline wrote: »
    So many views, so few replies.

Are no DS-ers listening, or are they just happy with what the 'Feel Good Network' is doing?

Your not looking in the right place http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=872925&page=3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I have been listening to Sovereign since it started over 10 years ago. I have to say it is now the most professional that it has ever been. You would never know that the shows are going out across 4 different stations. This is what a proper local station should sound like. Take note, Heart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey 11 wrote: »
    I have been listening to Sovereign since it started over 10 years ago. I have to say it is now the most professional that it has ever been. You would never know that the shows are going out across 4 different stations. This is what a proper local station should sound like. Take note, Heart.

No i agree the stations do definately sound 'local'. I tend to listen mostly late evenings and early mornings and even the new overnight show on Bright Fm with Paul Williams does actually sound LIve. (I presume it is voicetracked though as he is Programme Manager there i believe?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was nice to hear today there was a seperate programme for Sovereign listeners with Paul Williams while Chris Bailey continued on the other stations. Have they still got the studio at Eastbourne or would Paul have been broadcasting from Worthing though?
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    overline wrote: »

I like what I hear every time I tune in to the Media Sound stations.

So many smaller groups - TotalStar for example - could learn a lot from Splash/Bright/Sovereign/Arrow.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like what I hear every time I tune in to the Media Sound stations.

So many smaller groups - TotalStar for example - could learn a lot from Splash/Bright/Sovereign/Arrow.
    Total Star becomes a one station group very soon of course and I'm led to believe they do very well in Cheltenham.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was nice to hear today there was a seperate programme for Sovereign listeners with Paul Williams while Chris Bailey continued on the other stations. Have they still got the studio at Eastbourne or would Paul have been broadcasting from Worthing though?

The Hailsham studio has been kept, drive for all 4 stations broadcasts from there.

The rest comes from Worthing, not that the average listener would notice.
  • DAVE02DAVE02 Posts: 1,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    km could have done what they are doing with the stations they own would not need to network like they doing now. they could have also keeped the names that they had before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DAVE02 wrote: »
    km could have done what they are doing with the stations they own would not need to network like they doing now. they could have also keeped the names that they had before.

There's a big different with KM-FM, that's the fact that the KM newspaper brand is strong in Kent and co-branding of the radio stations makes sense for cross-media promotion.
    Forum Member
    The death of Chris Copsey was handled very well by Media Holdings.

The on air team covered the day of the death with such Professionalism and aired a tribute Retro show a couple of weeks later.

Listen to it here http://www.splashfm.com/444

The coverage was just right, not ott but just right for someone that had been on the air in sussex for 20 odd years.

As mentioned on the other posts the industry could learn from these fella's
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The death of Chris Copsey was handled very well by Media Holdings.

The on air team covered the day of the death with such Professionalism and aired a tribute Retro show a couple of weeks later.

Listen to it here http://www.splashfm.com/444

The coverage was just right, not ott but just right for someone that had been on the air in sussex for 20 odd years.

As mentioned on the other posts the industry could learn from these fella's
    Yes i agree, it was very well presented on the day after his death and the tribute show was very good. I really enjoy listening to Splash/Bright and wish as you say others would learn from this group especially when it comes to voicetracking and presenting local opt out shows. Keep up the good work Paul and co.
    Forum Member
    Yes i agree, it was very well presented on the day after his death and the tribute show was very good. I really enjoy listening to Splash/Bright and wish as you say others would learn from this group especially when it comes to voicetracking and presenting local opt out shows. Keep up the good work Paul and co.

Yes I forgot it was the day after.

The voicetracking is the best in the UK and commitment to local news in each area is also first class.

The team deserve to benefit from the fruits of their labour.

Hopefully they will buy Juice and form a single brand and give Heart a real run for their money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know whether its just an error on the website but on the Bright Fm website for Saturday it lists Simon Osborne between 10-2pm in for Chris Bailey. Hope its true as it would be fantastic to hear Simon on the airwaves in Sussex again.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Now on Radio Player.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they've not picked up Juice, Brighton seems the missing piece of the puzzle. And maybe Eagle & County to the north?
  • BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Juice a real labour of love, owned by the founders of Surf (an with a younger more eclectic format and roots to the other Sussex small stations)?

Meanwhile, The Eagle is surely the opposite - the original UKRD station, and presumably - along with Pirate - a major profit centre for that group. Why sell?
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they've not picked up Juice, Brighton seems the missing piece of the puzzle. And maybe Eagle & County to the north?
    On one of the Ofcom documens the company behind Juice was a shareholder in Splash so presume they are now also shareholders in Media Holdings?, but the music policy is different, also Juice can now be heard on DAB thoughout Sussex..
    Doubt if UKRD will want to sell or merge Eagle & County or Spirit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they've not picked up Juice, Brighton seems the missing piece of the puzzle.

I know MSH has expressed interest in Juice on more than one occasion, but Juice wasn't interested in a take-over or merger.

There is, or at least there was & I assume it's still in place, an arrangement for both sales teams to cross sell advertising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even experts in networking can cock-up once in a while.

This afternoon I heard on Splash FM someone calling in to enter a competition, I assume the call was transmitted live, which of course is dangerous when it's going out on four stations each pretending to be individual stations.

The other daft thing was to ask where the caller was calling from, it went something like this:

I am calling from London [what?], I am listening on the internet [saved?, well no...] to Bright FM. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear Simon Osborne back full time on the Feel Good Network, however what has happened to the overnights it seems to have gone back to non stop music without any presenter input :(
  • Simon AverySimon Avery Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Heard some of Simon Osbourne today and sounded good as did Rik Scott on drivetime. Great songs good amount of local content and their Famous Five competition is now over £2000 too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard some of Simon Osbourne today and sounded good as did Rik Scott on drivetime. Great songs good amount of local content and their Famous Five competition is now over £2000 too!

The Feel Good Network are definately the best at doing local content to each of the four separate stations. Listened a fair amount over the Christmas period and the output was good.