Which is your favourite Hitchcock movie?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Rear Window.
  • Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dial m for murder and psycho are my all time favourites, I also like rear window and the lady vanishes. The lady vanishes had a slow start but once they were on the train it was great.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it has to be Rope, i love the whole premise!!
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monrose wrote: »
    Was Dial M For Murder remade in 1998 as A Perfect Muder (starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Michael Douglas) or are those two separate films?

I've never saw it but I've just looked and apparently it's a "modern remake" with some things changed. I might watch it and see if it's any good.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psycho a brilliant film
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vertigo.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psycho is a classic. But let us not forget The Birds, nor Rebecca, nor Suspicion. I did find Marnie quite dull to be honest.

Notorious starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman is also a classic. So is spellbound starring Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strangers on a Train and Rope.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Rebecca, Rear Window, Birds.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dial M for Murder. Amazing film. Intricately plotted and very clever.
    Madonna38 wrote: »
    I've never saw it but I've just looked and apparently it's a "modern remake" with some things changed. I might watch it and see if it's any good.

They're *very* different. A Perfect Murder is interesting but an ultimately flawed film for too many (spoilery) reasons. When it keeps to the general idea of the original (which it does for the first third), it works quite well. When it deviates (which it does for the rest of the movie), it falls apart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Rope and Psycho are tied for me. Love them both.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to choose, but I think Rear Window just shades it.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Dead heat between Dial M for Murder and Rear Window.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Birds for me.

Simply for the scene where Melanie is driving the car and when she turns the car, the lovebirds turn with her. What a brilliant scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Birds and Psycho are obviously the classics, but I am very fond of Lifeboat - one of his finest if you ask me
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest I'm thinking of seeing this on Thursday. Is it still enjoyable if you haven't seen many of his films?

I have seen a few of his classic films but a very long time ago.
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psycho, Rear Window and Dial M for Murder for me. But I do like North by Northwest, the Man who Knew too Much, Rebecca....in fact so many! Hitchcock without doubt is my favourite director of all time
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    1. Rear Window
    2. Dial M for Murder
    3. Vertigo
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Trouble with Harry, Rear Window, Shadow of a Doubt and Psycho.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    The Birds for me.

Simply for the scene where Melanie is driving the car and when she turns the car, the lovebirds turn with her. What a brilliant scene.

Yes, that's a funny scene. For me the classic scene is where
    Melanie is waiting outside the school, **** in hand, while the children sing that interminable song, and all the while the crows are gathering on the climbing frame behind her whilst she is oblivious, until finally, she spots one flying overhead, follows it with her eyes to its landing spot... Just brilliant in every way.
  • WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rear Window
    Dial M for Murder
    Frenzy
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,163
    Forum Member
    My all time favourite is Stage Fright, which never gets mentioned when the best Hitchcock films are listed. I also like Strangers on a Train, The Lady Vanishes, Frenzy, and Dial M for Murder.

I will never understand how Vertigo has become a Cult film, it was a flop when it was first released, and deservedly so, and it is still as bad as I remember.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frenzy

lovely. lovely. lovely
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been keeping my eye on this site and by coincidence these were posted today

http://blushots.weebly.com/frenzy.html

I love the 70s feel of Frenzy and it made a great change after Hitch's long US period.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rear Window
    Rope
    Dial M for Murder
    The Birds
    Psycho
    Marnie
    Vertigo
    North by Northwest