Options

Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to marco polo? Personally i think thats it now. Finito benito.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    What happened to marco polo? Personally i think thats it now. Finito benito.

Marco was simply the most likely to have been found *if* indeed any more eps have been found at all. It is/was the most likely as it was 1) the missing story that was disseminated most widely abroad, and 2) originally associated with the return of EW.

In other words, if you had to bet your life on something else being found, in probability terms, Marco is where you would put your bet.

The only other Marco factor I can remember is that somebody said they had seen, and filmed from a screen, a clip of a TARDIS scene (where the travellers are drinking the condensation). But this came from one of those Puqui/Ferre people, so I wouldn't take too much notice. Predictably, the promised clip failed to appear.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Whats realistically likely to be announced in the next 5 years?

Would Marco Polo be the only one?
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if anyone already knows this, but I thought I would share with you what I found.

Apparently, according to http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/09/whatever-happened-to-web-of-fear-3.html, Phil Morris who found the nine episodes in the Summer of 2013, says that the missing episode 3 of The Web of Fear, was indeed there, and part of the collection.

Here is what they say. And I quote:

"However, speaking at the Pandorica 2015 convention, being held in Bristol this weekend, Philip Morris announced that when he initially located the episodes, episode 3 was indeed part of the collection.

The negotiations for the return of the episodes took over six months, and when the episodes were finally returned to the UK, episode three had vanished. Morris said he believed that after word of the find leaked out an offer was made to a member of staff at the Nigerian station, and that the episode had been sold to a private collector."

Makes me really angry to know that if episode 3 really was there, and is now in the hands of a private collector, we may never get to see it as it originally was when it went out in late 1967. >:(
  • Options
    supermeguksupermeguk Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone. Joined last night and wanted to introduce myself since I was RK's room mate at Pandorica (we're at Utopia next year). I'm also the female voice you hear on the In Conversation audio with Philip Morris. Me and Joanne Morris were the only women in the room. LOL!
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone already knows this, but I thought I would share with you what I found.

Apparently, according to http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/09/whatever-happened-to-web-of-fear-3.html, Phil Morris who found the nine episodes in the Summer of 2013, says that the missing episode 3 of The Web of Fear, was indeed there, and part of the collection.

Here is what they say. And I quote:

"However, speaking at the Pandorica 2015 convention, being held in Bristol this weekend, Philip Morris announced that when he initially located the episodes, episode 3 was indeed part of the collection.

The negotiations for the return of the episodes took over six months, and when the episodes were finally returned to the UK, episode three had vanished. Morris said he believed that after word of the find leaked out an offer was made to a member of staff at the Nigerian station, and that the episode had been sold to a private collector."

Makes me really angry to know that if episode 3 really was there, and is now in the hands of a private collector, we may never get to see it as it originally was when it went out in late 1967. >:(
    I'm reluctant to say the name (imposing the old GB rule on myself) but only one person springs immediately to mind when I think of wealthy private collectors with an interest in finding missing episodes.

Are we supposed to believe the mysterious person in Morris's story is a certain prominent fan? Regardless of whether that person was involved, is Morris expecting us to reach the conclusion that he was?
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    supermeguk wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Joined last night and wanted to introduce myself since I was RK's room mate at Pandorica (we're at Utopia next year). I'm also the female voice you hear on the In Conversation audio with Philip Morris. Me and Joanne Morris were the only women in the room. LOL!

Welcome supermeguk. We're a friendly lot here (well, mostly :)).

I know that for a fact because our niceness has been commented upon by other forums on this site. :)

I hope you enjoy being here.
  • Options
    supermeguksupermeguk Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks GDK. I'm a long time lurker and sure I recognise chuffnobbler's name from Yahoo groups years ago. I could be wrong though. This is definitely the friendliest forum. ☺
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reluctant to say the name (imposing the old GB rule on myself) but only one person springs immediately to mind when I think of wealthy private collectors with an interest in finding missing episodes.

Are we supposed to believe the mysterious person in Morris's story is a certain prominent fan? Regardless of whether that person was involved, is Morris expecting us to reach the conclusion that he was?

Is it Ian Levine, by any chance? :D The person who co-created Downtime in 1995?
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Levine wouldn't buy an episode unscrupulously and then not try and get the credit for having "found it" or "doing the job morris is supposed to be doing only quicker"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the private collector could do is hand the missing episode 3 over to the BBC for them to remaster for the special edition of The Web of Fear DVD, then give a copy of the episode to the private collector, so that the film can stays with the BBC in the archives.

That way, everyone's happy! I hope! :D
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Levine wouldn't buy an episode unscrupulously and then not try and get the credit for having "found it" or "doing the job morris is supposed to be doing only quicker"

Well, he's certainly not the sort of person who would do anything to promote himself at the expense of others. Absolutely not...
  • Options
    Forum Member

Personally I feel that if we dont see the BBC have the episode by a certain date they should out the collector. Tell everyone who his real name is.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Is it Ian Levine, by any chance? :D The person who co-created Downtime in 1995?

I just don't believe IL would do such a thing. Does he want the glory of finding episodes? Yes. Would he **** on the rest of fandom by buying a missing episode and then hoarding it for years? IMO, no chance.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member

No, I believe that Morris was "suggesting" that it was someone at the TV station where he located the episodes who took it. If he has sold it on to a "private collector" is another matter.
  • Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I feel that if we dont see the BBC have the episode by a certain date they should out the collector. Tell everyone who his real name is.

a) You're assuming there is a collector and it wasn't just destroyed in Nigeria.

b) You're assuming that if there is a collector that the BBC know who it is.

c) They'd get sued into the next millennium for doing anything quite as stupid as publically naming someone. And yet again it would act as a deterrent against anyone ever coming forward with a missing episode of anything ever again because of the fear of being deliberately "outed" if they don't hand over their film print by an abitrary deadline.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member

You're assuming the whole story isn't just a load of cobblers (for whatever reason).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sambda wrote: »
    You're assuming the whole story isn't just a load of cobblers (for whatever reason).

There was a pic of the episode can.
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

If the BBC knows the name of the collector there's an easier way to get the episode back. Start court proceedings. The BBC remains the legal owner of all copies of any show it sends to another broadcaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »
    If the BBC knows the name of the collector there's an easier way to get the episode back. Start court proceedings. The BBC remains the legal owner of all copies of any show it sends to another broadcaster.
    They can't start legal proceedings unless there's evidence that a specific person purchased the episode from somebody at the Nigerian station.
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    They can't start legal proceedings unless there's evidence that a specific person purchased the episode from somebody at the Nigerian station.

Yes, that's true. But then they'd need the same evidence to name the person publicly too, or else be sued for slander/libel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DS9 wrote: »
    Yes, that's true. But then they'd need the same evidence to name the person publicly too, or else be sued for slander/libel.

Who cares as long as we get our episode back.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episodes I want back the most:
    The myth makers
    Episode 4,8,9,11, 12 of DMP
    The celestial toymaker
    The savages
    The tenth planet
    The power of the daleks
    The highlanders
    The underwater menace
    The moonbase
    The macra terror
    The faceless ones
    The later half of evil of the daleks
    The ice warriors
    The web of fear
    Fury from the deep
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the BBC can't go around naming and shaming people on the strength of a rumour.

Does even Morris have any idea who it might be? Talk of a private collector may encourage people to draw up their own shortlist of suspects, but we've heard no evidence to suggest that Morris knows a specific person is holding the episode.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I imagine that the BBC would have to act within the law, so they would care for a start.
    And 'our episode'?? Really?