The Chris Moyles Show – RadioX

Comments

• botson_is_whackbotson_is_whack Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    I did enjoy a couple of days ago where he said 'I don't like half of the bilge I play on here'. I think the feet are getting under the table and he will start directing the playlist more.

I think you're interpreting banter a bit too seriously. There have been many other occasions where he's said the music on X is far better than anywhere he's ever worked.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,378
    Forum Member
    Looks like no cover for Chris whilst he takes time off over Xmas and New Year at the start of today's show he discussed how he's doing a voice tracked Xmas day show and then for the following 2 weeks he will be voice-tracking best of shows.

I get the logic in doing that for the 1st week, but the week commencing 4th Jan is a normal work week so will be very odd for people getting up to a recorded best of show for a whole week, but I guess the familiarity of waking up with Moyles even if recorded outweighs having a cover DJ on.

Be interesting what happens when he's off at other times of year, more pre records or a cover DJ.

The Xmas startegy is similar to hwat happened on Radio 1 when there was a 12 hour best of Moyles, but that covered a full year. Stretching 3 months of highlights over 10x 3 hour shows is going to take some doing, I assume these shows will be much more music heavy than the live shows.
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Looks like no cover for Chris whilst he takes time off over Xmas and New Year at the start of today's show he discussed how he's doing a voice tracked Xmas day show and then for the following 2 weeks he will be voice-tracking best of shows.

I get the logic in doing that for the 1st week, but the week commencing 4th Jan is a normal work week so will be very odd for people getting up to a recorded best of show for a whole week, but I guess the familiarity of waking up with Moyles even if recorded outweighs having a cover DJ on.

Be interesting what happens when he's off at other times of year, more pre records or a cover DJ.

This sounds like a very similar strategy to what Elvis Duran uses. Whenever they're off, they play out highlight clips, interspersed with music and a cover jock who is purely there to do speed links consisting of weather and time-checks.

Chris mentioned this morning that he had suggested this format, and I can see why - it's his baby, he wants the continuity and to know whatever is on-air at that time of the morning is his product.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I am intrigued by the number of comments above sounding surprised at the amount of talk on the breakfast show. Did they really never hear Chris' R1 breakfast show?
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a good radio x type track on the wheel of inappropriate tracks today.
    9:50AM - Land Of Confusion by Genesis
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the day on Radio 1 Scott Mills' holiday shows used to be 'Scott Mills gold' where his regular sidekick, Chappers would present recent highlights from the show. I think this type of thing with Dom and/or Dave and/or Pippa or worse case scenario another jock like Rich Walters would be better than a complete pre-record when Chris is off.

Personally I'd still rather just a different live show, Vernon would be my choice. Josh Widdicombe covered the Jon Holmes breakfast show for a week or two once, so Elis James and Jon Robbins would be an outside chance but as much as I like them I'm not sure Moyles' audience would take to them..
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the team is big enough to work with somebody missing, so for Dom or one of the producers to effectively fly solo then means that they will be taking leave at a different time to the rest off the team.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am the biggest fan and I would never say a bad word against Moyles. I was a bit annoyed that they never played Sam Smith or Adele on launch day of their new singles when everyone was talking about it. Howver, I think it is really bad they have not acknowledged the novelty of Christmas until the last five minutes of the show with the advent calendar. At R1 this would be done at 8am so it looks like Moyles wanted to have it back and the compromise was have it at the end. It is such a shame that we did not have Christmas beds or Christmas songs through out the morning as every other radio station would do. I know it needs to be a bit different but I feel at times there should be a communal understanding that even the XFM listeners would want to hear Christmas songs. They could have played Bruce Springsteen at 07:30am for example rather then just The Darkness at the end of the show.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »
    I am the biggest fan and I would never say a bad word against Moyles. I was a bit annoyed that they never played Sam Smith or Adele on launch day of their new singles when everyone was talking about it. Howver, I think it is really bad they have not acknowledged the novelty of Christmas until the last five minutes of the show with the advent calendar. At R1 this would be done at 8am so it looks like Moyles wanted to have it back and the compromise was have it at the end. It is such a shame that we did not have Christmas beds or Christmas songs through out the morning as every other radio station would do. I know it needs to be a bit different but I feel at times there should be a communal understanding that even the XFM listeners would want to hear Christmas songs. They could have played Bruce Springsteen at 07:30am for example rather then just The Darkness at the end of the show.

Its only 1st December, they have said there will be more Christmas stuff as we get closer, including Dominick the Donkey!

As for playing Sam Smith and Adele, why would they? Its not Radio X's remit to play chart "pop" music. Heart, Capital, R1 etc have this covered!
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Its only 1st December, they have said there will be more Christmas stuff as we get closer, including Dominick the Donkey!

As for playing Sam Smith and Adele, why would they? Its not Radio X's remit to play chart "pop" music. Heart, Capital, R1 etc have this covered!

Christmas- 1st December is when the hype starts and people get excited to hear Christmas songs for the first time this year. Heart played an hour of songs from 8-9 to reflect popular interest.

Adele/Sam Smith- I agree its not in their remit and would not expect it on any other show but Moyles has a show where it is about him and not the station. Therefore, the average listener to the Breakfast show actually would be interested
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd quite like to see Christmas used as an opportunity to fix the playlist. Introduce Christmas tracks over the coming weeks, then after they go, revert to a much broader playlist with the kind of stuff the Platinum Hour plays all the time.
    Forum Member
    Christmas- 1st December is when the hype starts and people get excited to hear Christmas songs for the first time this year. Heart played an hour of songs from 8-9 to reflect popular interest.

Adele/Sam Smith- I agree its not in their remit and would not expect it on any other show but Moyles has a show where it is about him and not the station. Therefore, the average listener to the Breakfast show actually would be interested

I think 1st Dec is the very start of xmas, the idea that you jump right in and play an hour of xmas songs is ridiculous, Heart's audience are very different and xmas is probably all that they have to think about. The Radio X audience won't have quite the xmas obsession.

One xmas song today got it right and then you slowly build up and become more xmasy as you approach the day, the idea that you go full on xmas when it's 3.5 weeks away is just stupid and everyone will be bored of xmas by the end of next week if you do that.

If people really want non stop xmas songs then Global have another station on D1 (Smooth Xams) which does exactly that, why would Radio X do they same? The whole point of the station is to be alternative not to sound like Heart or Smooth!
    Forum Member

Have Radio X ever played a Bruce Springsteen track, hardly a core artist. They can't play as many xmas songs as other stations due to their rock/indie focus so no Wham or E17.

Pogues, Darkness and John Lennon seem to be the only xmas songs that would really fit. What other songs do we think they'll play?

Probably the only way to make it work is to put the obvious songs on the wheel of inappropriate tracks.
  • ogrynogryn Posts: 3,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Have Radio X ever played a Bruce Springsteen track, hardly a core artist. They can't play as many xmas songs as other stations due to their rock/indie focus so no Wham or E17.

Pogues, Darkness and John Lennon seem to be the only xmas songs that would really fit. What other songs do we think they'll play?

Probably the only way to make it work is to put the obvious songs on the wheel of inappropriate tracks.

The Killers are always releasing christmas songs. (Tom) Smith & (Andy) Burrows did a Christmas album a few years ago which XFM played tracks from.
  • abertomabertom Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Computer wrote: »
    Back in the day on Radio 1 Scott Mills' holiday shows used to be 'Scott Mills gold' where his regular sidekick, Chappers would present recent highlights from the show. I think this type of thing with Dom and/or Dave and/or Pippa or worse case scenario another jock like Rich Walters would be better than a complete pre-record when Chris is off.

Personally I'd still rather just a different live show, Vernon would be my choice. Josh Widdicombe covered the Jon Holmes breakfast show for a week or two once, so Elis James and Jon Robbins would be an outside chance but as much as I like them I'm not sure Moyles' audience would take to them..

I'm guessing Vernon would probably prefer not to work Christmas period due to family and can't see Chris or Johnny wanting The Chris Moyles Show with Johnny Vaughan. I think expect to see the like of Rich Walters, Hattie Pearson, Jo Good, Ross & Jack featuring over Christmas. Maybe Phil Clifton in a day slot
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris played Adele last week!
  • fatmancunianfatmancunian Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »

YES!!!!

Keep smashing those boundaries down Chris! Essential listening!!!
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    YES!!!!

Keep smashing those boundaries down Chris! Essential listening!!!

Are you angrymancunian too? :)
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »

It's on the playlist, getting aired on all shows.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Is he going to rattle on about Star Wars ALL week, I wonder? Because there are some of us who really have no interest. Im not saying he should ignore it completely, I respect its a big name and a much anticipated film, but the conversation on the show seems pretty constant. And a bit boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Random (and boring question) but how do the ads work exactly? I always listen on DAB or the app and hear London adverts mainly - I know they also have a Manchester feed.

I'm listening live now on the website and I've just heard an advert specifically for my local Asda (Portsmouth - a few miles away). I selected London when I went on the site. Do they have a different advert for big cities across the UK which is fed in by your location? If so, is it really worth doing when I would have thought website listening is a very small portion of their overall listenership?
    Forum Member
    TSx wrote: »
    Random (and boring question) but how do the ads work exactly? I always listen on DAB or the app and hear London adverts mainly - I know they also have a Manchester feed.

I'm listening live now on the website and I've just heard an advert specifically for my local Asda (Portsmouth - a few miles away). I selected London when I went on the site. Do they have a different advert for big cities across the UK which is fed in by your location? If so, is it really worth doing when I would have thought website listening is a very small portion of their overall listenership?

The App uses Geo location, if you have that enabled for the app, so can run local ads, I get ads for local colleges, although it goes on about why you have selected the playlist you're listening to so sounds like Radio X are playing ads aimed for Spotify.

If you want the national ads, just disable geo-location on the ad, but would have thought it makes sense to have local ads which are likely to be more relevant.
  • timbouktimbouk Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I just love how random the show is becoming. I don't think anyone else could pull off nearly an hour on the best way to cook your Christmas dinner in an entertaining way at breakfast time.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TSx wrote: »

I think it's to do with this - DAX (Digital Audio Exchange)

http://www.thisisdax.com/

Where I mainly listen online to Radio X I've had a couple of local adverts pop up for the local council and also a competition for college students involving Prof. Green giving capitalfm.com as the website to go to.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timbouk wrote: »
    I just love how random the show is becoming. I don't think anyone else could pull off nearly an hour on the best way to cook your Christmas dinner in an entertaining way at breakfast time.

Yes very Radio 2 esk, he could easily do a show like Mayo's or Steve Wrights with more energy though.