Options

Iain Lee on BBC 3 Counties Radio

Comments

• Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    The BBC has often has a religious, homophobic agenda.

For example, the Today programme on Radio 4 always has Thought for the Day, a slot where religionists are given free rein to broadcast their propaganda with a guarantee that no-one will ever moderate or challenge them. Unbelievably, atheists are banned from TFTD ! Would the BBC invite a politician or gay rights leader on the programme and just give them uninterrupted airtime? I think not !

At 3CR, the BBC's weird idea of balance was to interview three Christians, two of whom were unashamed homophobes (gardener Barry Trayhorn and Christian Concern's Libby Powell). The third Christian (Tracey Byrne) was from the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement (cf. turkeys voting for Christmas !)

So with such an unbalanced panel of guests it was left to Iain to tackle the homophobes single handedly. As he did it rather well, the BBC decided that he had to be sacrificed to appease the bigots.

It's not for the BBC to tackle any party in an interview differently to correct some perceived imbalance. The job of good journalism is to be equally searching of all parties.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    ... and as far as we know, doesn't have a history of being homophobic.
    On the contrary, he certainly has lots of form. That's why he was on his final warning !
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    It's not for the BBC to tackle any party in an interview differently to correct some perceived imbalance. The job of good journalism is to be equally searching of all parties.
    Agreed, that that's certainly true, provided that the interviewees form a balanced panel, as should always be the case (unless a relevant party is invited to participate but declines).

However, the BBC chose to select three interviewees, all of whom were Christian activists; two of them were virulently homophobic. Why didn't the BBC invite, say, Matthew Parris, Peter Tatchell, the National Secular Society or a local campaigner to provide the necessary balance?

Therefore on this occasion it fell to Iain Lee to provide some semblance of balance by challenging bigoted views whenever they were expressed.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    On the contrary, he certainly has lots of form. That's why he was on his final warning !
    I expect he was just quoting, as opposed to "attacking".
    It'd be interesting to know what exactly it was he said and under what circumstances before a first warning was warranted.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    Well Gaunty has said on more than one occasion that Iain would be welcome on the station and he would be able to say whatever he wants and conduct interviews however he wants because Talk2Me Radio is The Home Of Free Speech as everybody knows. There would be only one thing he would have to be careful of and that is playing devil's advocate because if Iain were to do that it would be instant dismissal on the spot. Poof, he would be gone in a flash.
    On the poll done on DS over 80% of those that answered said Gaunt's station wasn't "The Home of Free Speech".

Gaunt has been very nasty to Iain on twitter in the past for no reason. Iain was asking people to Gaunt so that they could tell Iain their thoughts on it, Iain said that Jon needed callers that didn't agree with him and Gaunt started abusing him!

Iain said that he wouldn't be playing his game and told us about Jon asking him to do a podcast for his station.

Clearly he was trying to have a row with Iain so that he could get more publicity!

Iain is very good at what he does and I'm sure he will be snapped up by a proper radio station but, Iain will be glad that he has something to fall back on if he can't get a job on the radio.
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    vinnielo wrote: »
    I'd have no reason to believe he was doing it deliberately. It does no good for anyone. He denies using it to attack homosexuals. He doesn't hate them and as far as we know, doesn't have a history of being homophobic.... I don't think anyone would have been forced to attend, so anyone going in to listen would have gone with the intent of listening to scripture being quoted. Even if not, there would have been the expectation. It sounds the whole issue was stirred up by troublemakers inside more than anything..

"In a statement read to Rev Trayhorn’s employment tribunal in Bedford on Tuesday (November 3) , an inmate referred to as prisoner 3 said: “I was at the chapel on Saturday and I was disgusted by what I heard. He was preaching hate and intolerance towards prostitutes and homosexuals. Then he started goading the congregation, saying go on, put your complaints in. I almost wanted to cry.”

There's a statement in here from Barry about the first complaint but no clarification from any complainant.
    http://www.leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk/news/crime/sandy-minister-preached-hate-and-bigotry-in-prison-for-sex-offenders-1-7049507

80% of the prisoners are sex attackers but no one is in there for having consentual gay sex. How can he not have chosen that one particular passage from the Bible without it being deliberate. Then he tells them to complain if they want to. So he can't be surprised when some did.

I've now listened to the interview with Barry Trayhorn, Iain and Tracey Bryne and she's made a similar point to me about preaching in a prison chapel.
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the poll done on DS over 80% of those that answered said Gaunt's station wasn't "The Home of Free Speech".
    That's only because the poll thread is infested by a small number of people who have taken it upon themselves to be beastly to Gaunty. It's a well-known fact that Talk2Me Radio is The Home Of Free Speech.

Gaunty is what he is and there is a way to deal with him. Iain should not let himself get rattled by Gaunty just doing what Gaunty does. I hope Iain does get a new gig soon as I am a huge fan of his work.
  • Options
    radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 2011 when Iain left Absolute, there was this post:
    When Iain left LBC I thought.. There's no chance he'll get another producer like Agent Chris. But then he moved to Absolute/Virgin and after a few months of.. The other guy. He got paired with Eloise. Which was great. I just hope that if he does get another show on another station he will get a producer he genuinely gels with.

The answer is of course, a resounding yes. As I said earlier, I haven't listened to that much of the BBC 3CR shows but it is clear that Katherine is/was a brilliant producer. I have a real soft spot for Eloise but Katherine is the closest we have had to having a co-presenter for Iain rather than just a sidekick. She is incredibly intelligent and quick-witted.
  • Options
    PDTPDT Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I think the thing to remember about Iain Lee is that he seems to be really popular both within the industry and without; not every presenter gets this kind of outpouring of support when they're let go in a controversy. He'll land on his feet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    That's only because the poll thread is infested by a small number of people who have taken it upon themselves to be beastly to Gaunty. It's a well-known fact that Talk2Me Radio is The Home Of Free Speech.

Gaunty is what he is and there is a way to deal with him. Iain should not let himself get rattled by Gaunty just doing what Gaunty does. I hope Iain does get a new gig soon as I am a huge fan of his work.
    First of all you said "everybody" and that poll proves that some people don't. Jon claims it's "The Home Of Free Speech" but, just because he says it, doesn't it is! :D

"Gaunty just doing what Gaunty does" I guess that keeps Jon attacking and bullying people over twitter?
  • Options
    sweaty71sweaty71 Posts: 295
    Forum Member

Gaunt has been very nasty to Iain on twitter in the past for no reason. Iain was asking people to Gaunt so that they could tell Iain their thoughts on it, Iain said that Jon needed callers that didn't agree with him and Gaunt started abusing him!

Iain said that he wouldn't be playing his game and told us about Jon asking him to do a podcast for his station.

Clearly he was trying to have a row with Iain so that he could get more publicity!

Iain is very good at what he does and I'm sure he will be snapped up by a proper radio station but, Iain will be glad that he has something to fall back on if he can't get a job on the radio.

Lee is a bit of a snake then? Jon asks him to do a podcast, Lee throws his toys out of the pram and tells all. Nice bloke >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sweaty71 wrote: »
    Lee is a bit of a snake then? Jon asks him to do a podcast, Lee throws his toys out of the pram and tells all. Nice bloke >:(
    That's not what happened at all and if you read my post you will see that.

Iain said he wasn't doing it before and that's probably the reason why Gaunt had a go at him over twitter. Iain has always whished Jon good luck even though Gaunt has been very nasty to him over twitter. Iain was actually asking people to listen because he wanted to know what people made of it all, Iain said that he thought Jon needed some callers that disagreed with him and Gaunt had a go at him for it.

I look forward to your post trying to make out that it was Iain's fault though. :D
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably won't happen but could Radio X be a possibility for Iain to do the kind of show he used to do on Absolute? I know he didn't have the best relationship with Global before he left LBC, but that was some time ago now. obviously Talk Radio would be a better fit as no music but...
  • Options
    sweaty71sweaty71 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    That's not what happened at all and if you read my post you will see that.

Iain said he wasn't doing it before and that's probably the reason why Gaunt had a go at him over twitter. Iain has always whished Jon good luck even though Gaunt has been very nasty to him over twitter. Iain was actually asking people to listen because he wanted to know what people made of it all, Iain said that he thought Jon needed some callers that disagreed with him and Gaunt had a go at him for it.

I look forward to your post trying to make out that it was Iain's fault though. :D

If I told you I read it differently would you be surprised? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sweaty71 wrote: »
    If I told you I read it differently would you be surprised? ;-)

No but, as well as what happened a few weeks ago they had an argument over Twitter about a year back. Jon tried to say Iain stole his act. It was just after the listening figures came out and Iain had done really good, I think Gaunt was jealous.
  • Options
    TimanfayaTimanfaya Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    probably won't happen but could Radio X be a possibility for Iain to do the kind of show he used to do on Absolute? I know he didn't have the best relationship with Global before he left LBC, but that was some time ago now. obviously Talk Radio would be a better fit as no music but...

Sadly I can't imagine he has too many fans at 'Globotech'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Timanfaya wrote: »
    Sadly I can't imagine he has too many fans at 'Globotech'.

I think there's much more chance of getting a job at the new talkRADIO.
  • Options
    radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid I'm not optimistic about the new Talk Radio. There have been too many disappointments in the past. Think back to 2007. There was a lot of optimism about a new wave of talk stations opening up. We had Talk 107 in central Scotland. That didn't last long. There was City Talk in Liverpool which before long turned into mostly music. Rock Talk was meant to launch in Manchester but that actually became Rock Radio. We had Play Radio/Play Talk online which was good for a while until they decided they actually wanted to earn money. So I would be sceptical about the long term viability of Talk Radio, given that they are relying on DAB and online and don't have any FM frequencies.

And even if Talk Radio managed to survive, would it actually be interesting to listen to, or would it just be a clone of LBC?
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radamfi wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'm not optimistic about the new Talk Radio. There have been too many disappointments in the past. Think back to 2007. There was a lot of optimism about a new wave of talk stations opening up. We had Talk 107 in central Scotland. That didn't last long. There was City Talk in Liverpool which before long turned into mostly music. Rock Talk was meant to launch in Manchester but that actually became Rock Radio. We had Play Radio/Play Talk online which was good for a while until they decided they actually wanted to earn money. So I would be sceptical about the long term viability of Talk Radio, given that they are relying on DAB and online and don't have any FM frequencies.

And even if Talk Radio managed to survive, would it actually be interesting to listen to, or would it just be a clone of LBC?

Agreed, i can see them starting off with some big names like Iain but give it a year or so and the lack of money coming in will be a problem and like City Talk people will starting being pushed. Especially as just being on DAB at the moment they won't have to apply for any type of format change to start putting in music or change the station completely.

As for Radio X i think thats a non starter, as said Iain didn't have a great relationship with Global when he left and apart from a weekend show i couldn't see his style being in the daytime lineup. l
  • Options
    HistoricDealerHistoricDealer Posts: 3,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two things against that though...

Moyles always slagged off Capital and other Global brands, only to end up there. I know he's mates with most of the execs though.

However, Nick Abbot also disappeared when LBC went serious, but is back now.

Iain has also made it clear he can do serious with a twist, rather than just the manic stuff from Absolute/LBC Triple M etc
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back now, he's been back nearly 10 years.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’m gutted for Iain that the BBC Local Radio journey is over for the moment – he did seem to really enjoy it and found a great team with Katherine, Justin and Kelly and good regular callers – my favourites being Dennis from Dunstable, Matty Bum Bum, Dave Luton and at WM Ranjit and Mohammed.

I’ve been following his radio work since 2006 – LBC drivetime was the highlight of my day at that time and Triple M at the weekend – and I’ve quite enjoyed the mixture of serious and light he’s done at 3CR and WM – I think it’s fully showed his skills as a broadcaster and a person and proved a lot of people wrong.

Hopefully it’s not the last we hear from Iain as a broadcaster/performer. He’s talked about in the past about moving (if I remember correctly) into teaching. He would have a lot to offer in that area but his talents would reach wider through broadcasting.

I think he would be a good signing for talkRADIO – ideally breakfast or drivetime mixing serious and light with a weekend show (late night if he’s on drivetime) which is light hearted – at least something like The Rabbit Hole.

In the Sound Digital application they say talkRADIO will balance “coverage of news and current affairs with programming about subjects including TV & film, technology, health & lifestyle, consumer advice and entertainment” so hopefully it won’t be a pure clone of LBC – although could end up as a LBC/5Live hybrid rather than something akin to the old Talk Radio or even LBC circa 2006.

I do share concerns about talkRADIO’s long term viability. Maybe UTV may have been better placed to commit to a level of entertainment/comedy/non-news speech output on Virgin Radio instead but will certainly be enjoying it while I can.
    radiodad wrote: »
    <snip>
    As for Radio X i think thats a non starter, as said Iain didn't have a great relationship with Global when he left and apart from a weekend show i couldn't see his style being in the daytime lineup. l

I can’t see Radio X happening but as regards his relationship with Global I seem to remember an interview Iain gave after leaving LBC saying he had no problem with Richard Park.
    Two things against that though...

Moyles always slagged off Capital and other Global brands, only to end up there. I know he's mates with most of the execs though.

Iain has also made it clear he can do serious with a twist, rather than just the manic stuff from Absolute/LBC Triple M etc

Nick Abbot has been with LBC constantly since 2006 so before it went serious. He didn’t leave but moved to evenings and after it went in a news direction went back to weekends.
  • Options
    HistoricDealerHistoricDealer Posts: 3,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    I’m gutted for Iain that the BBC Local Radio journey is over for the moment – he did seem to really enjoy it and found a great team with Katherine, Justin and Kelly and good regular callers – my favourites being Dennis from Dunstable, Matty Bum Bum, Dave Luton and at WM Ranjit and Mohammed.

I’ve been following his radio work since 2006 – LBC drivetime was the highlight of my day at that time and Triple M at the weekend – and I’ve quite enjoyed the mixture of serious and light he’s done at 3CR and WM – I think it’s fully showed his skills as a broadcaster and a person and proved a lot of people wrong.

Hopefully it’s not the last we hear from Iain as a broadcaster/performer. He’s talked about in the past about moving (if I remember correctly) into teaching. He would have a lot to offer in that area but his talents would reach wider through broadcasting.

I think he would be a good signing for talkRADIO – ideally breakfast or drivetime mixing serious and light with a weekend show (late night if he’s on drivetime) which is light hearted – at least something like The Rabbit Hole.

In the Sound Digital application they say talkRADIO will balance “coverage of news and current affairs with programming about subjects including TV & film, technology, health & lifestyle, consumer advice and entertainment” so hopefully it won’t be a pure clone of LBC – although could end up as a LBC/5Live hybrid rather than something akin to the old Talk Radio or even LBC circa 2006.

I do share concerns about talkRADIO’s long term viability. Maybe UTV may have been better placed to commit to a level of entertainment/comedy/non-news speech output on Virgin Radio instead but will certainly be enjoying it while I can.

I can’t see Radio X happening but as regards his relationship with Global I seem to remember an interview Iain gave after leaving LBC saying he had no problem with Richard Park.

Nick Abbot has been with LBC constantly since 2006 so before it went serious. He didn’t leave but moved to evenings and after it went in a news direction went back to weekends.

I think it's pretty clear I was wrong on that then haha.... he seemed to disappear for a bit, but I guess not.

Thanks for the clarification!
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never really thought Iaindoing a weekday show on X, more like an evening show like his Absolute show. but, as people say, it'll probably never happen anyway-- I was just throwing something else in to the mix. Re Talk Radio, I'm afraid I share the thoughts of others-- IMO a DAB only talk station at this time just won't work. I can see them making a good go of it though.