Options

Thanks Digital Spy for spoiling the ending for anyone catching up...

technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Didn't see Saturday's show live as I was working. Now I know I should have avoided ds until I caught up but they at least usually keep the ending to within the story... Not in the headline!

Looking forward to a new companion though....

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see Saturday's show live as I was working. Now I know I should have avoided ds until I caught up but they at least usually keep the ending to within the story... Not in the headline!

I didn't see it on Saturday either and caught up on Sunday. It wouldn't even cross my mind to click into the forum until I'd seen it. Onus is on you I'm afraid, it doesn't take a great deal if common to realise that.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once a programme has aired, then the details are out in the public domain. Anyone who watches on catchup has to be vigilant regarding any news outlets or discussions (online or otherwise).

Yes, the onus is on the viewer. Otherwise, how long should there be an embargo? 12 hours? A day? Two days? 5 days? A week? A month? And how can such an embargo be enforced?
  • Options
    technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't the forum it was the top headline of the main site. I know it's my own fault but if you look at The Apprentice news for example they tend to put a headline of "who's gone this week..." then leave the persons name to inside the story... for at least 24hrs. This was up only a few hours after the show.....
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    As a spoilerphobe myself, I have some sympathy, but I have to say even I think it's "fair game" once an episode has aired. It would be nice if they kept it out of the headlines in the way you suggested though.

The unfortunate thing is that an "industry" has grown up to satisfy the cravings of those who must be the first kid on the block with absolutely everything, to bring all of us the latest entertainment "news", whether we want it or not. In this case, that Jenna Coleman is leaving the show has been public domain for a long time, but I didn't know with certainty beforehand whether it would be this episode.
    And yes, I know
    she's in the cast list for later,
    but I don't know as yet how that comes about, nor do I want to until I see the episode in question.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Well the program has been tv. So they put up info after the show. Buy not only that the bbc have been talking about jenna all week. So not really sure why you annoyed clicking on a digital media forum and review website.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect to those posting above, DS posted a spoiler:
    • to its front page;
    • prior to transmission.

... but did so only because the BBC had, thereby making it news: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a774482/doctor-who-fans-the-bbc-has-revealed-how-tonights-episode-will-end-and-its-a-shocker/
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first thing I saw on DS when I clicked on the homepage was this......

Doctor Who fans, the BBC has revealed how tonight's episode will end - and it's a shocker

Underneath there was a Picture of clara.

and then underneath it said that Someone's journey comes to a tragic end in 'Face the Raven'.

I didn't need to click on the article to find out more. The picture of Clara and the fact we know she is leaving was evident the article was about her. Anyone could of worked that out. It was annoying. I would of liked to have been surprised until transmission. They should of headlined the article as "BBC Reveal Shock Twist In Tonight's Doctor Who. I was disappointed.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    The first thing I saw on DS when I clicked on the homepage was this......

Doctor Who fans, the BBC has revealed how tonight's episode will end - and it's a shocker

Underneath there was a Picture of clara.

and then underneath it said that Someone's journey comes to a tragic end in 'Face the Raven'.

I didn't need to click on the article to find out more. The picture of Clara and the fact we know she is leaving was evident the article was about her. Anyone could of worked that out. It was annoying. I would of liked to have been surprised until transmission. They should of headlined the article as "BBC Reveal Shock Twist In Tonight's Doctor Who. I was disappointed.

To paraphrase Beverly Knight: "could of, would of, should of are the last words of a fool". ;-)

I did find it odd that DS were scoffing that the BBC had revealed the ending early, but then seemed to be making the same silly error themselves.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bizarre that a media site like DS is doing spoilers so strongly, they really have lost the plot recently.

It's not the 70s anymore, the idea that you can spoil a show after it is "broadcast" is a dated concept.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member

What are you worried about ? Everyone knows she's not really dead !:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    It is not possible to be spoiled once a program has already been broadcast...

It is only possible to be disappointed others did not conform to your (the general 'you' not the OP) viewing schedule.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I should have avoided ds until I caught up

Yep. :(
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    It's not the 70s anymore, the idea that you can spoil a show after it is "broadcast" is a dated concept.

Except in this case DS posted the headline before the broadcast and it's not the first time they've done that either.

Not that I cared, they've "killed" Clara and other principal characters so many times it no longer has any meaning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Except in this case DS posted the headline before the broadcast and it's not the first time they've done that either.

Not that I cared, they've "killed" Clara and other principal characters so many times it no longer has any meaning.

Ahhh...now see...THAT is a bit different. If it was posted BEFORE broadcast.

I'd be irked too.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, the BBC pretty much already spoiled the ending before the broadcast. I think most people thought that it would be pretty likely that Clara would die in the episode based on the synopses for Face the Raven and next week's episode, Heaven Sent.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    What are you worried about ? Everyone knows she's not really dead !:)

How is that possible? :confused:

We saw the raven go through her chest and she slowly fell to the floor, her lifeless body just lying there, her eyes closed.

There is no way she could come back from that. The Doctor could see her ghost, like River Song in The Name of the Doctor, but other than that? No! She's gone for good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be fair, the BBC pretty much already spoiled the ending before the broadcast. I think most people thought that it would be pretty likely that Clara would die in the episode based on the synopses for Face the Raven and next week's episode, Heaven Sent.

All of which are things I studiously avoid and I only logged into DS to catch up on Strictly, not that it bothered me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

Because nobody ever dies for real on Dr Who, they're always brought back to life by some magic or other.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Because nobody ever dies for real on Dr Who, they're always brought back to life by some magic or other.

Tell that to the countless people who died onthe show since 2005 then :p
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about Adric? He's got to be dead for good. The ship he was on blew up. There was nothing left of it by the end, so there wouldn't have been a body to pick up for a funeral to take place.

He would have been blasted into atoms. In other words turned to dust, or less than dust even.

The Doctor can't even go back to save him. It would mean crossing his own timeline, changing past events. That would cause a paradox, tearing open the fabric of reality.

Pretty much everything that has happened in Doctor Who since, would be changed in some way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was talking about Moffat's Who, not Classic Who.

If Moffat had been in charge back then he would most certainly have found a way of bringing Adric back.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    To be honest in this instance it's actually the BBC who have done more themselves to spoil the episode. One of my mates who hates spoilers and doesn't even visit this site was rather annoyed to be watching Graham Norton the day before to see Peter Capaldi merrily chatting about Clara's last episode on Saturday and the tragic ending. He was saying how much more effective the episode would have been if he didn't know Clara was going to die before he saw it.

The BBC aren't usually as open about things as they were with Clara's exit. I guess there could be a couple of reasons for this. Maybe they wanted to lesson the shock of her death for some viewers, particularly kids, as some people do seem rather trigger happy when it comes to dialling offcom these days, or maybe they wanted to drum up a bit more publicity for the show in the face of falling overnight ratings.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To paraphrase Beverly Knight: "could of, would of, should of are the last words of a fool". ;-)

I did find it odd that DS were scoffing that the BBC had revealed the ending early, but then seemed to be making the same silly error themselves.

Why on earth you being rude to me?
    A reminder of why i don't post here a lot because of unnecessary rudeness by people such as yourself. You don't make this place easier for outsiders.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member

It was said before the episode air she was going to die by the raven.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

We saw the raven go through her chest and she slowly fell to the floor, her lifeless body just lying there, her eyes closed.

There is no way she could come back from that. The Doctor could see her ghost, like River Song in The Name of the Doctor, but other than that? No! She's gone for good!

I was being a bit sarcastic actually, but I will be amazed if she is really dead and we don't see her in the series finale.