Free Comic Recommendations?

BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
Forum Member
✭✭
I have the ComiXology and Marvel apps on my android tablet, what free comics would you recommend starting with?

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering they're free - just get them all and see which you like.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have downloaded a few free ones... but they are basically just the first chapters of stories. Anyone recommend anything a bit more complete?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They all tend to be issue #1's of running series, yeah. That's to hook you in! After you've read one, if you want to find out more then you purchase the next issues.
    As far as I know there aren't any free graphic novels on there.

I'll certainly recommend a couple of series I've just got into, American Vampire and Ten Grand. They're indie comics but they don't have any free issues as far as I can remember.

Without knowing your tastes, though, it's hard to recommend anything in particular, really. I read LOTS of comics from most of the main and indie publishers, from the mainstream superhero stuff to some frankly quite weird indie stuff...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look around Digital Comics Museum http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/
    and Comic Book Plus http://comicbookplus.com/
    they're ancient, out of copyright, comics, and many of them are quite simply wonderful.

Give your brain a treat and step out of the faux complex, back-story heavy crap we've been fed for years, and just immerse yourself in groundbreaking art and stupendous and often silly stories.
    Just like today's crap, but first and without the technology
    ;):D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look around Digital Comics Museum http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/
    and Comic Book Plus http://comicbookplus.com/
    they're ancient, out of copyright, comics, and many of them are quite simply wonderful.

Give your brain a treat and step out of the faux complex, back-story heavy crap we've been fed for years, and just immerse yourself in groundbreaking art and stupendous and often silly stories.
    Just like today's crap, but first and without the technology
    ;):D:D

All good but the OP is talking specifically about free comics available on the Comixology and Marvel Apps...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    All good but the OP is talking specifically about free comics available on the Comixology and Marvel Apps...
    Just extending the options ....
    Comixology uses .cbr files, which are nothing more than renamed .zip files. Anything that says .zip or .cbz as a file extension can just be renamed as .cbr.
    They can be read on Android phones.

That extends the free viewing possibilites. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just extending the options ....
    Comixology uses .cbr files, which are nothing more than renamed .zip files. Anything that says .zip or .cbz as a file extension can just be renamed as .cbr.
    They can be read on Android phones.

That extends the free viewing possibilites. ;)

*.cbz have been put together using Zip, *.cbr have been put together using Rar. The file name indicates the archive used. Every comic under the sun is available for free if you want to go down the dodgy route. And they can be read on every platform if you know which software to get.

I wasn't aware Comixology could open user-sourced files, though?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    have a look through the individual publishers stuff Marvel and Image are the best with free stuff on their IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I still think that using comic books look better than the tablet PC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think that using comic books look better than the tablet PC

Depends on the content, depends on the screen.

I have an artist friend who, about 18 months ago, had something published by DC. The print run got corrupted in some way which annoyed the hell out of many people but the digital version was perfect.

The digital versions will, nowadays, always be exactly what the artist/colourist intended for us to see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Image are pretty good at putting first issues up on Comixology for free. Sex Criminals 1 just became free as far as I know (in retaliation to the Apple banning issue 2). One of the most heart felt, beautiful and filthy-funny comics I've ever read.

If you wanrt to look beyond the apps, there are a few great webcomics, like Freakangels by Warren Ellis and Paul Duffield that are free. Disenchanted by Si Spurrier's only as couple of issues in as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...like Freakangels by Warren Ellis and Paul Duffield that are free...

I liked Freakangels, I was even one of the early Whitechapel members, but I thought the ending was weak... almost rushed as if they suddenly had to try and wrap things up quickly...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I liked Freakangels, I was even one of the early Whitechapel members, but I thought the ending was weak... almost rushed as if they suddenly had to try and wrap things up quickly...

I posted a few times on Whitechapel when it started up. That was around the same time Ellis was doing Doktor Sleepless, and I was really into what he was building there. Shame it died on its feet.

Duffield's got a new webcomic coming soon called the Firelight Isle, which will be gorgeous at the very least.

Have you read any of Spurriers Crossed webcomic?