Mario Kart 8 Gripes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
Forum Member
So before I continue this post, let me just say I love this game, very much. Next to Rayman Legends it is one of the only games I'm constantly playing.

However, I do feel that Nintendo missed some features and I was wondering if anyone else agrees with me, I'll list them in no particular order:

5 player: for me this is a no brainer to flaunt the use of the gamepad, Sega did this in the sonic version and it was great to play with more people, I honestly find it a strange omission on Nintendo's part.

>2 player online: Again, I don't see why more people could connect from one console, the multiplications in my head tell me it's easy to get 4 groups of 3 people or vice versa to play an online match, so the limit to 2 people is a bit of a shame.

The old battle mode: I fail to see the point of using a normal race track for battle mode, it's never been done before and I can really see why. It just doesn't bring anything to segregate the players from each other, it doesn't seem strategic but rather limiting.

Item distribution: this could be luck, but a lot of people playing with me have also picked up on the fact that all the last player items from previous entries seem to have shifted to the middle position racers, the last players getting very mundane items such as one mushroom or shell. I have even gotten a mushroom while in first place... I don't know if this is a bug but hopefully it will be changed.

Rear view gamepad option: The gamepad is relatively redundant in this game, bar the maps and a silly horn, why not have the option to have a constant rear view mirror, so you are aware of what's coming behind you without sacrificing he front facing view on the main screen.

---

So what do you guys think? Am I expecting too much? Apart from the online one, I think the rest of the problems are common sense...

Luke.

Comments

• TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, it's an excellent game, but I also have a few gripes.

ITEM DISTRIBUTION
    The item distribution is so bad to the extent that I'm convinced it's actually an unintentional glitch.
    I almost never get anything other than a single mushroom or green shell when in 11th and 12th place whilst people in front of me are getting bullet bills and the like. The shock (lightning bolt) was an item you could traditionally rely on to help you recover when you were in last because it only ever used to appear in 11th or 12th (7th or 8th in MK7) place. However, this is very much not the case in MK8. The other day I somehow managed to get a shock in third! Being able to get the most powerful item in the game when in 3rd place is just not acceptable.
    Another problem is that powerful items such as the bullet bill can appear more than once simultaneously. In past games, it was impossible to have more than one player with a bullet bill at any given time, but not only is this not the case in MK8, but I always seem to see bullet bills come in pairs or even threes meaning there are 2 or 3 people zooming round the course in a bullet bill at exactly the same time (none of whom were in last place when they got the bullet bill)

GLIDING
    I like the idea of gliding, but it was better in Mario Kart 7 because you had a lot more control over your glider. You used to be able to dive to gain speed and then sharply pull up to gain altitude in order to make certain shortcuts. Now, though, your glider stays at the same speed regardless of how sharply you dive.
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree with the item distribution thing, I'm so sick of getting mushrooms all the time. The battle mode I'm not so bothered about as I rarely went on them. The rear view mirror sounds like a good idea.

I hate rainbow road (both versions but especially the non n64 version) I ended up really liking the wii one so maybe I'll start liking it if I can master it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member

GLIDING
    I like the idea of gliding, but it was better in Mario Kart 7 because you had a lot more control over your glider. You used to be able to dive to gain speed and then sharply pull up to gain altitude in order to make certain shortcuts. Now, though, your glider stays at the same speed regardless of how sharply you dive.

I have seen some people get some altitude, but I have no idea if there is some different execution involved... Anyone who can clarify?
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Items do seem messed up. Any number of times I've been hosed by multiple shells or whatever on lap one, thought "oh well at least I'll get a decent powerup", but been given 1 mushroom or a green shell then just never been able to get back in touch with the head of the race.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zoralink wrote: »

>2 player online: Again, I don't see why more people could connect from one console, the multiplications in my head tell me it's easy to get 4 groups of 3 people or vice versa to play an online match, so the limit to 2 people is a bit of a shame.

When your Wii U has 1 or 2 players on it, the game runs at 60 frames per second - and so when playing online everybody has the same response times.

If your Wii U was supporting 3 or 4 players it would run at 30 frames per second, and you would have a distinct disadvantage against anyone playing at 60 frames per second as your reaction times would be halved compared to theirs.
    Rear view gamepad option: The gamepad is relatively redundant in this game, bar the maps and a silly horn, why not have the option to have a constant rear view mirror, so you are aware of what's coming behind you without sacrificing he front facing view on the main screen.

It would be fairly easy to implement in single player mode I guess, (although I wouldn't want it to impact the performance of the game) but it would have to be disabled in all other modes for the sake of fairness and it might also mean putting the map back on the main screen.
    5 player: for me this is a no brainer to flaunt the use of the gamepad, Sega did this in the sonic version and it was great to play with more people, I honestly find it a strange omission on Nintendo's part.

Supporting 3 or 4 players already puts a strain on the console, demonstrated by halving the frame rate, so adding an extra player might make things worse. Sonic Racing runs at a significantly lower resolution and frame rate than MK8.
    Forum Member
    When your Wii U has 1 or 2 players on it, the game runs at 60 frames per second - and so when playing online everybody has the same response times.

If your Wii U was supporting 3 or 4 players it would run at 30 frames per second, and you would have a distinct disadvantage against anyone playing at 60 frames per second as your reaction times would be halved compared to theirs.

It would be fairly easy to implement in single player mode I guess, (although I wouldn't want it to impact the performance of the game) but it would have to be disabled in all other modes for the sake of fairness and it might also mean putting the map back on the main screen.

Supporting 3 or 4 players already puts a strain on the console, demonstrated by halving the frame rate, so adding an extra player might make things worse. Sonic Racing runs at a significantly lower resolution and frame rate than MK8.

RE Online framerate: Ok fair enough

RE Rear view: I thought about this today and agree that it's an unfair advantage in multiplayer, but it still should be an option in single player at least!

RE 5 Player: I have never been bothered by the framerate or console strain on Sonic Racing. It is very unfinished with lots of glitches, but that is regardless of player count. MK8 is graphically and technically superior but I don't think it would be such a humungous strain.
    Forum Member
    fluffed wrote: »
    Items do seem messed up. Any number of times I've been hosed by multiple shells or whatever on lap one, thought "oh well at least I'll get a decent powerup", but been given 1 mushroom or a green shell then just never been able to get back in touch with the head of the race.

I can't remember where I read this, maybe even on DS somewhere, but the item distribution is deliberately different because they wanted to prevent an exploit in the Wii version where drivers could wait a few seconds, be last, then instantly get a very good item and power their way to a big head start. Maybe this is irrelevant and only meant for the start, as if it was already in MK7, it's strange that we only notice it now...
  • James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The computer seems to always choose my least favourite course online, even if the least favourite has one person backing it in it comes! Sometimes online I have to wait ages if I want a course with not too to gimmicks such as Royal raceway or Mario circuit.

I am not keen at all on the volcano one or toads turnpike!
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zoralink wrote: »
    I can't remember where I read this, maybe even on DS somewhere, but the item distribution is deliberately different because they wanted to prevent an exploit in the Wii version where drivers could wait a few seconds, be last, then instantly get a very good item and power their way to a big head start. Maybe this is irrelevant and only meant for the start, as if it was already in MK7, it's strange that we only notice it now...

That's called sandbagging and I didn't realise it was an exploit. It seemed like a perfectly legitimate strategy. I always used to sandbag on N64 Mario Raceway on the Wii.
    I think it's a bit ridiculous that they've completely and utterly screwed up the items and made them really unfair just to avoid this strategy.