I wouldn't be surprised if the new head judge...

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, C14E.

As ever always an interesting opinion. We will have to see what happens. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was going somewhere good until you mentioned Will Young.
  • rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    In a male judge, I think they might want to go the Steven Tyler route. Someone completely "out there" - so established in the public eye, so eccentric and so different that they wouldn't even be compared to Simon.

who would you have in mind for this?

my ideal man for this role would be Liam Gallagher or maybe meatloaf (he was great value entertainment wise on the 1st series of popstar to operstar, his double act with Laurence Llewellyn bowen was classic) Meatloaf is probably a bit marmite though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meatloaf might have another toilet accident live on air.
    Noel Gallagher is too much of a risk as he has a potty mouth. Liam G wouldn't do it - where's this come from?

What about Chris Martin?
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon hated Dannii because she thought she got the job because Simon was screwing her. Mrs O lives in Hollywood - and as such must spend considerably more time with better looking people than Dannii Minogue! She was quite pleasant when asked about Cheryl in the past and Nicole was her judges houses helper way back in 2007.

I suspect the biggest issue between Sharon and Cheryl would be Louis. He has made a few digs I think and Sharon would probably side with him if he and Cheryl really did fall out. On the other hand I've read that Louis and Cheryl stayed in touch after the US debacle so who knows what to believe!

If I remember rightly Sharon was the first person to throw Cheryl's name into the ring when she quit and backed Cheryl as her own replacement. Sharon also said in the press last year that Nicole was brilliant and deserved a chance, claiming that Sharon discovered her back in 2007.

I agree with you and don't think Sharon has a problem with younger women in the slightest and she was always supportive of the female contestants.
    When praising anyone last year, I think it's important to get some context around it. In 2 years, the show lost 6 million viewers from the 2010 final to the 2012 final. During which period, the ex judges have commanded more media buzz than the current panel. The fact that Cheryl and Simon are continually linked with a return - even during the series - highlights that fact.

If ITV pay any of them more money then they're nuts. Even if we accept Nicole was good, it's hard to believe that she brought viewers on a scale significant enough to justify a large salary. It's not like things picked up when she came onto the panel after the auditions.

In terms of the programme, it most certainly did pick up after Nicole joined permanently. It was all a big wishy washy before that. Even Nicole herself was abysmal in the auditions. Without Nicole in the live finals the ratings would have fallen much further than they did.

I don't believe that the 6 million viewers lost is down to the 2008-10 panel leaving either. The 2011 auditions remain the most watched ever and was recieved very well, so if it genuinely was the panel then the figures would have fallen much sooner. The ratings fell in the second half of that series and never recovered into 2012. I don't believe there was really an issue with the 2012 series, it was just a bit flat. 2011 became a bit brutal and nasty but not in a panto way, I suspect that played a large factor.

ITV made a crucial error in hiring Kelly Rowland and not snapping up Nicole before she went to the American series. They were definitely too late particularly as her career had tailed off by the end of 2011/early 2012 and any buzz around her had gone too, particularly after a poor performance on X Factor USA. I really liked Kelly as a judge but I do think she eventually ruined that series (and subsequently the whole programme) by causing an atmosphere on the panel. It was divided like no other panel had been before. Had Nicole been there instead, she would have no doubt been sat next to Louis with Tulisa in the 'Cheryl' seat and it would have been an all round more positive and fun show to watch. There was some brilliant and overlooked talent that year but what went on behind the scenes was allowed to spill onto stage which should never have happened.

My suggestion is to try and move away from the 2008-10 model of judging panel. The younger female will always be compared to Cheryl, the 'alpha' male will always be compared to Simon and ultimately they will never be as good. I think they should switch it around a bit and bring Mel B over to be the harsh and critical judge (and with her success I do think she'd be able to command the respect that such a position needs) and then they have an opening to bring in a younger male to add a new dimension to the programme.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    My suggestion is to try and move away from the 2008-10 model of judging panel. The younger female will always be compared to Cheryl, the 'alpha' male will always be compared to Simon and ultimately they will never be as good. I think they should switch it around a bit and bring Mel B over to be the harsh and critical judge (and with her success I do think she'd be able to command the respect that such a position needs) and then they have an opening to bring in a younger male to add a new dimension to the programme.

I agree. A change is needed. Personally, and I know I'm in the minority, but I think the 2008-2010 panel is overrated :o
    It was a mixture of things that made those years successful, and likewise, there's a mixture of things that have made the last year or so not so successful.

I know I sound like a broken record but I don't care :p just bring back Simon and HAVE DONE WITH IT. :D

He's the only judge who is irreplaceable imo. The US ratings aren't great so he might as well come back here where people are still (kinda) interested.
    The US legal issue is either going to prevent her return or be he cause of it, I suspect. A settlement in a few months is the perfect instigator for her return

I have a feeling she'll return too. All this talk of 'never returning' is probably a way of making it more of a surprise when she does make her 'big entrance' in front of the cameras on the first day of the auditions :rolleyes: (something they tried to do after the sacking).
  • tpau21tpau21 Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need an industry exec like LA Reid or someone equivalent. Forget the pop stars because half the people Simon brings cannot sing so its a little rich for them to judge people with more talent.

Maybe he will bring in another WAG, who has had health issues and is probably the best known of the band and wants the attention to herself and doesn't care that she is the worst singer but will get by on her looks.

Frankie from the Sats haha!
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Nicole, it was a humourless and charisma free judging line-up last year. I don't care who comes in, as long as they have a bit of personality and spark about them.
  • Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
    Forum Member
    Sharon hated Dannii because she thought she got the job because Simon was screwing her. Mrs O lives in Hollywood - and as such must spend considerably more time with better looking people than Dannii Minogue!

She was quite pleasant when asked about Cheryl in the past

and Nicole was her judges houses helper way back in 2007.
    No she didn't. Her issues with Dannii pre-date the tabloid tales. Sharon detested Dannii simply because she took the limelight away from her, and she has a well documented track record of similar behaviour.

Of course she was. In her bitter and twisted mind, Cheryl's arrival was vengeance being exacted.

And she quite blatantly didn't have a damn clue who she was.
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Will Young became as Judge I would finally switched it off for good. Not here for him.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    No she didn't. Her issues with Dannii pre-date the tabloid tales. Sharon detested Dannii simply because she took the limelight away from her, and she has a well documented track record of similar behaviour.

Of course she was. In her bitter and twisted mind, Cheryl's arrival was vengeance being exacted.

And she quite blatantly didn't have a damn clue who she was.

Sorry but tbh I had not the faintest idea who Cheryl was before she came onto the X Factor whereas Nicole's been doing stuff solo and with the Pussycats for a long time, I knew her before she came onto the X Factor and I didn't even like her at the time. Sorry but Nicole > Cheryl in every way.

Dannii made it ALL up. There was no hostility from Sharon to Dannii during the actual shows. All we have is a Graham Norton where a drunk Sharon was just having a little fun and everyone had a laugh too. It was not in any way hostile...it's just British banter. If Dannii couldn't deal with that then that's her fault...why Sharon is getting blamed is unbelievable. Dannii ought to grow some, she's a grown woman and it's unbelievable how petit she can be about various people like Louis (crying over a disagreement in song choice, really Dannii? Not even US Nicole would do that!).
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dannii made it ALL up. There was no hostility from Sharon to Dannii during the actual shows. All we have is a Graham Norton where a drunk Sharon was just having a little fun and everyone had a laugh too. It was not in any way hostile...it's just British banter. If Dannii couldn't deal with that then that's her fault...why Sharon is getting blamed is unbelievable. Dannii ought to grow some, she's a grown woman and it's unbelievable how petit she can be about various people like Louis (crying over a disagreement in song choice, really Dannii? Not even US Nicole would do that!).

Sharon publicly said on Piers Morgan that she left X Factor because of Dannii. There was a lot of hostility and Sharon said a few times that Dannii was only there because Simon wanted to sleep with her. Sharon was vilified at the time for it, and no matter what your opinion of her, Sharon was spot on yet again (previously being right over Steve).
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but tbh I had not the faintest idea who Cheryl was before she came onto the X Factor .

You'd never seen or heard Girls Aloud? Understandable if you didn't live in the UK but almost impossible to avoid if you did..
  • DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think Will Young is a strong choice for the reasons I listed.

But, I recall a rumour from a few years ago about Chris Moyles being a judge.

I do think he'd be good telly and controversial enough for headlines. He's probably not head judge material as he's a bit of an arse licker.

I would actually quite like it if he joined.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    Sharon publicly said on Piers Morgan that she left X Factor because of Dannii. There was a lot of hostility and Sharon said a few times that Dannii was only there because Simon wanted to sleep with her. Sharon was vilified at the time for it, and no matter what your opinion of her, Sharon was spot on yet again (previously being right over Steve).

I think, as much as I dislike Sharon, she was right and has proven to be right since. The evidence is clearly there.