Options

Unseen End of Time

Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,903
Forum Member
Okay, after a drunken conversation with a friend regarding the 'reward' of visiting old companions, further elaborated on in that SJA episode to include all of them ever, we got to wondering what they would have been like.

Long & short of it is, I (foolishly) agreed to write a few short stories (despite never having written fiction before) about how some of those encounters may have taken place.

I sat down & wrote the first one this week. Starting, appropriately enough with the very first two - Ian & Barbara. Now I'm sure I read somewhere years ago that someone had written that Ian had ended up at Cambridge & they'd had a son called Christopher. Now if either of those two details are wrong, my bad - you can't expect me to remember something I only glanced over years ago with pinpoint accuracy.

Anyway, bearing in mind it's my first time writing like this, I'm fairly pleased with how it's turned out. I'll probably end up sticking it up on Gally at some point, but DS gets the world premiere (ha-ha), so here goes:

Ian & Barbara

It was a fine Spring afternoon that day in Cambridge. Birds could be heard over the gentle hubbub of the daily market. The elderly couple basked in the sun as they left the marketplace, heading for home, shopping bags bulging.

Ian smiled as he put his arm around his wife's shoulders.

"I think, once the shopping is put away, there is nothing more pressing than spending the day in the garden. Do a spot of weeding then sit back and relax with a glass or two of Pimm's."

Barbara looked at her husband with a smile; "I think it's a little too soon for Pimm's. It's a Summer drink, probably even a law against it," she said playfully.

Ian laughed; "well Summer is only a couple of weeks away. I won't tell the Pimm's Police if you won't."

Matching his laugh with one of his own, she looked at her husband of forty years. The hair had long turned white and the face was deeply lined, but she could still see the handsome schoolteacher she had fell in love with all those years ago. His eyes still shone with the intelligence and humour that he had always displayed, even during those dangerous times when they had both travelled through time and space with the white-haired old man they knew as The Doctor.
While the early years back in their regular lives had been difficult to adjust to, adjust they had and they had gone on to build a life together that, as far as she was concerned, outmatched any of the wonders they had seen in the universe.

From Coal Hill School to Cambridge, life had been good to them. A child, Christopher, all grown up now and Ian's retirement from the University meant they had more time to take things at a leisurely pace and enjoy each others company. Although perversely there seemed to be more to manage in life now than when they were working and raising Christopher.

Still, she wasn't complaining, just the opposite. And these days, her memories of The Doctor seemed to sleep in the back of her mind. She only thought about him once in a blue moon now.
Ian sensed a change in his wife and his smile faded slightly. "whats wrong?:

"Oh nothing dear," said Barbara, "It just occured to me that I haven't had a thought about The Doctor in some years."

Ian's smile became a little reflective; "I know what you mean. I can't remember the last time I thought about him. I wonder if he is still flying round the universe trying to get from A to B and ending up at D."

With a laugh Barbara said; "I know what you mean. God forbid he's actually managed to learn how to fly the Ship. I just think it's - Oh!"

To her annoyance, the bottom of one of the bags split open, spilling produce over the cobblestones.

"Why do they make plastic bags so thin these days," she huffed as they both bent down to gather the groceries and to stop the odd stray orange from escaping down the slope of the old square, "if the idea is to use less plastic in aid of the environment it defeats the purpose if you end up having to double up the bags so you don't lose your shopping."

"Hang on, I think this is yours" came a voice further away. Both looked up as a skinny man wearing a suit and an impossibly long brown coat hurried up to them carrying an apple.

"I think this was trying to make a break for it," the man said as he crouched and handed over the offending fruit. "Oh no, your bags split, try this one instead." Reaching in to an inner pocket the man produced a plastic bag decorated on both sides with the word 'Presto' and underneath a picture of the Queen surrounded by the words 'Silver Jubilee 1952 - 1977' "They made them a bit stronger in those days," he said with a cheesy grin.

Barbara thanked him and transferred the broken bags contents into the new one. As they all stood up, Barbara took a closer look at the young man who had come to their assistance. Tall and skinny. He could do with a good feed, thought Barbara. Brown hair teased into a confused, spiky mess. Barely a line on his face, but his eyes...his eyes suggested an age and wisdom far out of reach of someone of his age. There was also a suggestion of some sorrow to them, as if he was resigned to something.

"Thank you" said Ian as he held out his hand for the man to take.

"My pleasure" said the man, shaking Ian's hand firmly. "Lucky I was there at the right time. I only came to Cambridge to see some old friends. And now I have."

"Well thank you again, you're a lifesaver" Ian replied.

"My pleasure. Enjoy your day" he said with a soft smile, flicking his gaze at Barbara.

Barbara started. Those eyes! It was almost like they were familiar. Like... No, she thought as she shook her head. Just thinking about The Doctor before made her leap to a crazy notion.
Barbara smiled at the man as she took Ian's hand. With a gentle grin, the man stepped out of their path.

"Nice man," said Ian as they continued on their way. "familiar in a funny sort of way I thought."

Barbara glanced back over her shoulder briefly to see the man, hands dug into his trouser pockets looking back at her almost wistfully before lowering his head and walking into the adjoining alley.

"I know what you mean. But its probably nothing. Probably someone we've seen seen recently and it's just not registered. Or maybe it's one of your old students?"

Ian gave her a look before saying with mock severity, "I may not be able to immediately bring to mind all of my former students but on meeting one I would recall them. I may be old, but I'm not losing my marbles yet."

Barbara laughed as she linked an arm with his. "All right, never mind. Let's get this lot home and then brazenly defy the Pimm's Police!"

They both laughed with the ease of two people, comfortable with the passage of years spent together, and walked on.

Out of earshot of a wheezing and groaning sound fading to nothing from the alley.

Comments

• Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,485
    Forum Member
    Very nicely written, I thought! :D

However, I don't think it makes sense for 10 to visit past companions who never acually met him as 10. If the Doctor was actually dying, and not just one instance of him ending, then it would make sense.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Very nicely written, I thought! :D

However, I don't think it makes sense for 10 to visit past companions who never acually met him as 10. If the Doctor was actually dying, and not just one instance of him ending, then it would make sense.

He didn't actually meet 'classic' companions during the events of The End of Time Part 2. It was only the people that he had met or been his companions during his Tenth life. For example, Martha Jones, Mickey Smith, Jack Harkness, Midshipman Alonso Frame, Rose Tyler, Jackie Tyler, Sarah Jane Smith and her adopted son Luke.

In the SJA story Death of the Doctor, Matt Smith's Doctor said to Jo that he had gone back and visited her discreetly, but that wasn't in his Tenth life. It was before that.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    He didn't actually meet 'classic' companions during the events of The End of Time Part 2. It was only the people that he had met or been his companions during his Tenth life. For example, Martha Jones, Mickey Smith, Jack Harkness, Midshipman Alonso Frame, Rose Tyler, Jackie Tyler, Sarah Jane Smith and her adopted son Luke.

In the SJA story Death of the Doctor, Matt Smith's Doctor said to Jo that he had gone back and visited her discreetly, but that wasn't in his Tenth life. It was before that.

No, he said in Death of the Doctor something along the lines of "the last time I was dying I looked back on all of you" so I think it's fair to say he paid all his former companions a visit before regenerating.
  • Options
    hazelnuttwhikehazelnuttwhike Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I like it, nicely done! Are you going to do them all, in order? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

Yes, I know. That's what I'm saying does not make sense about this story of 10 saying farewell to Ian and Barbara. The only classic companion 10 met (that we know of) is Sarah Jane (and, maybe Jo Grant and the Brigadier).

It does not make sense emotionally. That's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I know. That's what I'm saying does not make sense about this story of 10 saying farewell to Ian and Barbara. The only classic companion 10 met (that we know of) is Sarah Jane (and, maybe Jo Grant and the Brigadier).

It does not make sense emotionally. That's all I'm saying.

The 11th Doctor clearly states that he went and saw* all of his previous companions when he was dying as Doc#10.

*Though given the Jo Jones example he probably did not interact with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. I still don't think it makes sense emotionally unless the Doctor was actually dying. This was only the end of one instance of the Doctor, 10, who had never interacted with most of the companions as 10. 10 would know there'd be an 11 and so on and that (as in this interaction) they would not recognise him.

Going back to see companions he'd actually met as this persona makes emotional sense, but to visit companions of earlier Doctors really does not make sense to me and seems over self-indulgent.

I guess it depends on how you view what actually happens to the Doctor's personality when he regenerates. A difficult thing for humans to understand as we've never experienced it. :)

And the Doctor lies. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, he said in Death of the Doctor something along the lines of "the last time I was dying I looked back on all of you" so I think it's fair to say he paid all his former companions a visit before regenerating.

If that's the actual quote (I'm not doubting you, I don't remember precisely myself, I'll have to review the SJA episode) then there is room to interpret that as not as an actual visit. Maybe he looked in on them through the TARDIS viewer, from a distance? And also room to think he didn't necessarily mean when 10 was ending.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that's the actual quote (I'm not doubting you, I don't remember precisely myself, I'll have to review the SJA episode) then there is room to interpret that as not as an actual visit. Maybe he looked in on them through the TARDIS viewer, from a distance? And also room to think he didn't necessarily mean when 10 was ending.

It's not word for word, but I watched a little bit of Death of the Doctor the other day and I'm pretty sure he said something like that.