Options

Male puppy, neuter or not?

Comments

• Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I am not convinced of that Benny was neutered as I said but went on to have prostate cancer at 6 years old and again at 13 and it was what killed him in the end.

It's testicular cancer that is, obviously, prevented by neutering. Although my vet said it is quite rare.
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you highlighted Molliepops, I didn't say 'prevents' but protects, as indeed it does due to the reduction in male hormones that feed prostate cancer - which is why men with it may get medication to block the hormones.
    That doesn't mean that no dogs that are neutered will get it but it's less likely, unfortunately your dog was one of the unlucky ones.
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would neuter .If only to stop more over priced mongrels being brought into the world .Can't believe people pay that kind of money for mixed breeds .My vet is really worried about the inherited illnesses that will become common place .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    It should be a requirement for all dogs to be neutered.

Don't be silly, if all dogs were neutered they would become extinct.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of irresponsible advice on here I am afraid.

If you are not breeding from your dog then get then neutered. It has nothing to do with health or behaviour. No, it removes the possibility of more unwanted litters happening. Op get your dog done.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    There is little need to neuter most males IMO, at least until maturity, if ever.

if you cannot control an intact dog, don't have one at all :)

You're right about that, but unfortunately many can't control their intact dogs and that's where the problems start. I think, generally speaking, it's better to have them neutered, but not as some attempted quick-fix for behavioural problems. The fact is that an intact dog will take every opportunity to impregnate a bitch! In a perfect world, of course, owners would have had their bitches spayed, but we all know how that works...
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    I would neuter .If only to stop more over priced mongrels being brought into the world .Can't believe people pay that kind of money for mixed breeds .My vet is really worried about the inherited illnesses that will become common place .

It's so called "pure" breeds that have the most inherited illnesses. The best thing for the species and their health would be to stop breeding them.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Lots of irresponsible advice on here I am afraid.

If you are not breeding from your dog then get then neutered. It has nothing to do with health or behaviour. No, it removes the possibility of more unwanted litters happening. Op get your dog done.

Have you ever had a nervous aggressive dog ? If not how can you possibly say what makes it worse ? Even our vet (he didn't do the initial op) said we had been advised wrongly on that one and Duncan should not have had his testosterone stopped as that caused his nervousness to turn to real fear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. If you have a nice dog with a nice temperament then you should breed it, then get it done, but obviously only if you have good homes for the pups before breeding. But it shouldn't be done straight away.

You think a 'nice temperament' is all that needs to be considered when planning to breed? OMFG. :o>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    You think a 'nice temperament' is all that needs to be considered when planning to breed? OMFG. :o>:(

That is quite scary not just missing health checks but that all dogs who can be should be bred, we have enough unwanted to not be breeding from anything other than perfect specimens IMO
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rivers mum, you can rest assured the I am a reasonably responsible owner who will ensure that my female dog is well loved and we would do nothing to hazard her health and well being.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so called "pure" breeds that have the most inherited illnesses. The best thing for the species and their health would be to stop breeding them.

Rather a sweeping statement. Our dog's breed has little changed over centuries and has few health problems. Our first dog was mixed breed and just as well loved. People are free to choose and whilst horrendous damage has been done to certain breeds in the name of "standards", there are others that are healthy and thriving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    It should be a requirement for all dogs to be neutered.

No it shouldn't. I've owned 5 Alsations both male and female and never had them neutered.

My 9 year old has sired pups and is as daft as a brush.

It's all to do with training. No dogs are bad but some owners are crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have pure breed Alsations and they have had no inherited illnesses. You buy them from a good breeder. What happens is you buy from breed farms who don't give a shit.

My dog has a flat back not some manufactured show dog, that's the problem.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be silly, if all dogs were neutered they would become extinct.
    Not if they were only bred by responsible, registered, regularly inspected breeders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I have pure breed Alsations and they have had no inherited illnesses. You buy them from a good breeder. What happens is you buy from breed farms who don't give a shit.

So true Betty is healthiest Chihuahua my vet says he has seen in years, not proper conformation for showing (doesn't bother us) but is a happy healthy little thing. Elsie Labrador came from a breeder too again not proper how conformation but vet is impressed with her.

I am not against showing per se but I don't think it has done the best for some breeds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's great to hear. We meet an owner with a lovely Alsation/GS..he went miles across the country to get him and ensure he had a straight back.
    Our girl's breeder has gone far to ensure the animals are not closely related with being a less popular breed with fewer breeders in the UK. One grand dad is American and one grandma Finnish. Result : workaday sturdy little hounds but also champs. Not mine though..she's just my baby.
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update

Yes, he's getting the snip :p , going to discuss it with my vet today.

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim_smith wrote: »
    Update

Glad to hear it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    So true Betty is healthiest Chihuahua my vet says he has seen in years, not proper conformation for showing (doesn't bother us) but is a happy healthy little thing. Elsie Labrador came from a breeder too again not proper how conformation but vet is impressed with her.

I am not against showing per se but I don't think it has done the best for some breeds.

My boy is 9 now and is fantasic condition, he sees the vet every few months for his Metacam and the vet is quite happy.

He is the biggest Alsation I have ever owned, weighs 56k, big for any Alsation. He's happy though, that's the important thing:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim_smith wrote: »
    Update

What about the ones that don't neuter their dogs:confused:

Why, what's he done do deserve getting neutered. I think it's cruel.

Some dog owners neuter dogs for no reason at all. It disgusts me.

I've never done it to any of my dogs. Train them well, that's all you need to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Glad to hear it :)

Is it:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the ones that don't neuter their dogs:confused:

Why, what's he done do deserve getting neutered. I think it's cruel.

Some dog owners neuter dogs for no reason at all. It disgusts me.

I've never done it to any of my dogs. Train them well, that's all you need to do.

We all do what is best in our opinions for our dogs, to neuter or not is one of those things you have to make your own mind up over neither neutering or not neutering is cruel. Not informing yourself and doing what is best for your particular dog is not even cruel. If you want cruel go to a rescue and see what they have to take in from indiscriminate and undisciplined matings, that is cruel millions of unwanted dogs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I have my answer and that's my decision.

Thanks again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I have made my decision and I'll have to live with that.

There are so many conflicting opinions, even between vets, so who knows who's right or who's wrong.

My vet has informed me that castration reduces the chance of getting many different forms of cancer. It will also stop him straying and pining over girls, and could make him less dominant and aggressive towards other dogs.

Yes, I thinks it's cruel also but i am putting his needs first. What else can I do?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Elizabeth.