Options

ASTRA 2C at 28e

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but not according to anyone who has looked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely not active last Sunday - I put an analogue box on 28E and tried 2 or 3 of the reportedly active freqs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dug out my old analogue receiver a few days ago, and not a dickie bird!! :)
  • Options
    EUROPAEUROPA Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any info yet,what they up to in lux burg.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess that either they feel they are in no hurry - or - there is something wrong with the satellite.

I don't claim any expertise in these things, but I would have thought they would have had the 'Astra' testcard up there at least by now.
  • Options
    shweeneyshweeney Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    probably a dumb question this, but how can they have multiple different satellites at the one location - are they at different heights?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not different heights. By definition they have to be 22,240 miles high. They are separated by a mile or two across. From the earth, at that distance, they (more or less) merge into the same point.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    Sorry to say what I have said all along but maybe there just isn't the need yet for these extra channels. Are there broadcasters queuing up to go on air on 28.2?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no service yet before 3 week was tesing satellite

at moment no signal yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to say what I have said all along but maybe there just isn't the need yet for these extra channels. Are there broadcasters queuing up to go on air on 28.2?

Yes - 28E is critically short of capacity, which 2C will alleviate. ITV are already known to have booked extra capacity on 2C to enhance their services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this footprint correct,i thought there was only one europe beam ???

http://www.ses-astra.com/corpSite/site_en/04_ASTRAFleet/03_satellite_list/astra2c/index.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought so too :)

No signals yet btw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EUROPA wrote: »
    is this footprint correct,i thought there was only one europe beam ???

http://www.ses-astra.com/corpSite/site_en/04_ASTRAFleet/03_satellite_list/astra2c/index.php

That was a surprise to everyone - the second beam only appeared on the SES site once 2C had left 19E
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The beam on those charts seems to be a lot wider than the ones used when it was at 19E.
    Is it an optical illusion?
    If not is there a reason?
  • Options
    NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    do we know what the satellite will be used for?

FTA
    Subscription
    or both?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best guess - both :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes i think its the new north pole beam that ses are trying to find new customers who want more shopping channels so we can see ICELAND TV and birds eye beaming coming to an igloo near you soon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Megabird wrote: »
    The beam on those charts seems to be a lot wider than the ones used when it was at 19E.
    Is it an optical illusion?
    If not is there a reason?

Is this simply because she's moved around a bit in space - the same footprint would look different. (think shining a torch on a ball, move the torch left or right but try to keep the beam pointing at roughly the same area and it's shape will change).

Also, are there really two beams or is it a case that H is one beam and V the other - the move making them seem as though they've diverged?

More to the point, why isn't she doing anything yet? She's been sitting there a good fortnight or so - 1L was carrying test signals and all sorts within a week of launch... (and how would you know if a signal was coming from 2C and not 2A - again, it's a question - just wondering if she's really silent afterall).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to know whats happened to the north beam - according to the map its slewed off to the west of the Canaries now and seems to be offering good coverage to the Canaries based deep sea trawlermen!

:D
  • Options
    rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That will suit our OP perfectly!
  • Options
    wod1wod1 Posts: 6,152
    Forum Member
    I want to know whats happened to the north beam - according to the map its slewed off to the west of the Canaries now and seems to be offering good coverage to the Canaries based deep sea trawlermen!

:D

also how come the footprint goes right up to nearly the north pole on the north beam

do they want customers from iceland to put channel on the satellite
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the spectrum is clear now no signal yet
  • Options
    AakenAaken Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess Astra could use both H and V on the same frequency much as Eurobird 1 does. That would allow a shed load of extra transponders.

Is there a need though?
  • Options
    SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In practice that doesn't actually help.

Spacing where the same frequencies are used twice is 36mhz, wheras where H and V are used alternately spacing is 15/20 mhz.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im stuck at standsted airport,any one tell me what signal streanch etc is