Options

The Beginner's Guide to L Ron Hubbard

fifi_folEfifi_folE Posts: 900
Forum Member
✭✭
Did anyone watch this last night with Hardeep Singh Kohli? I found interesting and scarey, espcially if someone was niave and/or gulable it could seem a good way to live. I wonder if he will take his scientology any further.

Comments

• Options
    naddieuknaddieuk Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What channel was that on? I presume either Channel 4 or More 4 as Hardeep does many programmes for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Why was it scarey? Like most religions/theologies scientology must help some people to live their lives or it wouldn't have caught on. I thought that the programme managed to separate the celebrity hype from the underlying philosophy and gave me a new insight.

Scientology is often ridiculed because of the 'Alien' aspect, but as an atheist I struggle why is this any more outlandish than the belief in angels and demons found in the Abrahamic religions.

I found the program very interesting and informative and I am looking forward to the rest of the series. Especially Hinduism as it is one religion which I know very little about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    naddieuk wrote:
    What channel was that on? I presume either Channel 4 or More 4 as Hardeep does many programmes for them.

It was channel 4, 11pm last night.
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fifi_folE wrote:
    I wonder if he will take his scientology any further.

L. Ron Hubbard won't be able to
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By he I meant Hardeep Singh Kohli, at the end of the programme he was unsure.
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aha got it :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Whilst I would agree that it was a decently made documentary, which was both interesting and disconcerting (the auditing scene gave me the creeps), I dont think it really did enough to cover some of the more negative aspects of the cult.

For one thing the cost! I dont really recall very much (it was late!) mentioned about the astronomic prices that gets charged for this stuff (those meters cost in the thousands for a start, and you have to buy two. No mention about how much the courses or 'services' cost either).

Also the current devotees just all seemed rather vague about it all, and seemed to describe scientology in hushed tones. They probably have the church proper to be afraid of or what have you, but I dont recall that being made clear either.

Alarming to think that he went from sceptic to almost fully sold that quickly, just goes to show how refined the scientologists (legit or otherwise) have the process.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did make it clear that the Church of Scientology was not involved in the documentary so what we saw was not the whole story. However the point was that it was a personal journey not a piece of hard-hitting investigative journalism, and the people, not the apparatus, were what mattered.

I've recently read Joe Boyd's book White Bicycles about the Sixties music scene; he is fiercely opposed to Scientology and writes about his own experience with auditing, and how his own stupidity led to some brilliant musicians being lost to the cult. But again, it's the effect it had on people he knew that offends him, not the cost.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    It was an interesting programme and Hardeep is a clever lad.

The programme the night after with Peaches Geldoff looking at Islam showed how good the Scientology prog was. Peaches' effort was awful.