Lemon and LimesLemon and Limes Posts: 24
Forum Member
Did you love them or hate them?

Comments

• AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love them!

My favourite has to be Order of the Phoenix. It used to be Prisoner of Azkaban, but then I saw the film which ruined it entirely for me.
  • Lemon and LimesLemon and Limes Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Love them!

My favourite has to be Order of the Phoenix. It used to be Prisoner of Azkaban, but then I saw the film which ruined it entirely for me.

Why did it ruin it?

I feel honoured to have you comment by the way... a DS worker haha!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    LOVE them!

I don't remember the hype surrounding the books though. That totally passed me by. My Mum bought me books 1-4 in a box when I was 9. I didn't think I'd be able to read them all (particularly book 4 as it was much bigger than anything I'd ever completed).

I remember that I hadn't finished the first book when the the film came out.

These books got me into reading. :)
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    LOVE them!

I don't remember the hype surrounding the books though. That totally passed me by. My Mum bought me books 1-4 in a box when I was 9. I didn't think I'd be able to read them all (particularly book 4 as it was much bigger than anything I'd ever completed).

These books got me into reading. :)[/QUOTE

I was 13 I think when I got mine and I was amazed at how quickly I got through the first 3!
  • NerdyMageeNerdyMagee Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Love, love, love! I remember seeing a big pile of Half-Blood Prince books on Smile one morning, waiting to be won. I wanted to win one, even though I hadn't even read the others! :D

Some of the recent films have been slightly weak, though.
    Forum Member
    I do miss Proffesor Snape!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I love them! I remember mum telling me to buy the Philsopher's Stone (first one) as "everyone else was reading them" and for a while I didn't bother. Then after a while I started reading them and I was hooked. When I was 11 I remember getting loads of Harry Potter toys and stuff for Christmas :cool: I loved the movies as well.
  • ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    LOVE them!

These books got me into reading. :)

Funny that you should say about being 9 when you started on the HP books and that it got you into reading, as my daughter has just turned 9 and its the HP books that have got her hooked on reading!

I loved the Harry Potter books, they aren't the best books I've ever read, but they are an enjoyable light-hearted read and the fact that I have read them means that my daughter and I can chat about what she is reading and discuss the differences between the books and the movies.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps the only interesting character of the entire series.
    Forum Member
    ImaPlum wrote: »
    Funny that you should say about being 9 when you started on the HP books and that it got you into reading, as my daughter has just turned 9 and its the HP books that have got her hooked on reading!

I loved the Harry Potter books, they aren't the best books I've ever read, but they are an enjoyable light-hearted read and the fact that I have read them means that my daughter and I can chat about what she is reading and discuss the differences between the books and the movies.

I always try to read the book before seeing the film (this goes for any book-to-film adaptation), and it's good in the sense that I know roughly what's going to happen, but it's bad because films can't compare the books as so much has to be cut out.

Plus, anything that gets kids to read is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It's too easy to just watch the film version.
  • Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Turn to page...394.
    Forum Member
    Turn to page...394.

:D:D:p

I've seen and read POA too many times.

:o
  • Gene HackmanGene Hackman Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    :D:D:p

I've seen and read POA too many times.

:o

Alan Rickman plays him to perfection!
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the HP books, much prefer them to the films as they lack a lot of the details.

However, I thought the latest film was excellent. Pity they didn't do all the books over 2 films.
    Forum Member
    Alan Rickman plays him to perfection!

He does. An example of perfect casting.

I was 9 when I saw the first film and his portrayal terrified me :cry:

Snape still gives me the creeps now, ten years later!
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really enjoyed reading these books. I've just finished the half blood prince, so now only have the deathly Hallows left to read:(
  • Gene HackmanGene Hackman Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    He does. An example of perfect casting.

I was 9 when I saw the first film and his portrayal terrified me :cry:

Snape still gives me the creeps now, ten years later!

Yes and it is odd that Snape is meant to be in hes late 20 or mid 30s because he went to school with Harrys parents... but Rickman is 50 odd!
    He made Snape soo sexy and that is coming from a stright guy haha!

Sexy Back- Snape- Youtube!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I cannot begin to express my love for these books. All of them are great (although I got the distict feeling book 6 was just filler, but good filler XD) and my favourite is Prisoner of Azkaban, because that's where we got Sirius Black ;).

They got me into reading other books rather than the Secret Garden, which I am still partial to the occasional re-read of, and into creative writing as I started with really bad Harry Potter fanfictions lol. The world JK created is just brilliant.

Plus, Snape is smexy :p
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turn to page...394.

Ooh, can you say it the way Alan Rickman does?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awFtD1rsMMw&feature=related

:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the first three and then they became hard work and a slog to get through.
  • annie24601annie24601 Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all the books, Deathly Hallows is my favourite.

I will be really sad after I see the last film and it is over. I hope JK writes more amazing books.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and it is odd that Snape is meant to be in hes late 20 or mid 30s because he went to school with Harrys parents... but Rickman is 50 odd!
    He made Snape soo sexy and that is coming from a stright guy haha!

Sexy Back- Snape- Youtube!
    Does it ever state how long it was between Harry's parents leaving school and him being born? They might have had him in their 30s.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it ever state how long it was between Harry's parents leaving school and him being born? They might have had him in their 30s.

Harry's parents were born in 1960 and died 1981-which was when Harry was a baby. That's what it says in the books, in Deathly Hallows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry's parents were born in 1960 and died 1981-which was when Harry was a baby. That's what it says in the books, in Deathly Hallows.
    Thanks. I only read DH once and was glad to finish it.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I only read DH once and was glad to finish it.

Why? Didn't you like it?