Options

EE - Now the 'transition' is over...Is Bryan Kikwood making EE better or worse?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone I've just joined. The baby swap storyline alienated a lot of viewers, but over the last few weeks I think it's on the up again what with the brilliant trio of Dot, her Sister and Cora, Michael Moons dark side and Zoe Lucker finally getting something worthwhile to do. I still think Kat is dragging the show down a bit with the doom and gloom surrounding her but overall I feel there's been a slight improvement. Long may it continue.
  • Options
    Mimi MorganMimi Morgan Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    MrClarke83 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I've just joined. The baby swap storyline alienated a lot of viewers, but over the last few weeks I think it's on the up again what with the brilliant trio of Dot, her Sister and Cora, Michael Moons dark side and Zoe Lucker finally getting something worthwhile to do. I still think Kat is dragging the show down a bit with the doom and gloom surrounding her but overall I feel there's been a slight improvement. Long may it continue.

I think it goes further than the baby swap. The whole feel and tone of the show is different to what it was just 12 months ago.

The writing and the pacing of storylines I think is what has made viewers turn on the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I think it goes further than the baby swap. The whole feel and tone of the show is different to what it was just 12 months ago.

The writing and the pacing of storylines I think is what has made viewers turn on the show.

Yeah thats something I recently noticed. The storylines seem to come in blocks these days, sometimes the show ends on a cliffhanger only to drop the storyline for weeks at a time (Yusef and the Masoods)

I wonder where the writers/producers are going with this change in tone as I do agree it does feel like a different show sometimes. I have only recently started watching again since the babyswap storyline and feel it has improved since then.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's just no excitement around Eastenders anymore. The last time it was a tad exciting was the Baby Swap.
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think EastEnders has lost it's way. I don't think it knows who it is any more / what it is supposed to be achieving.

It is also filled with far too many characters, most of them the show can do without. There are too many chavvy characters, far too many teens, far too many unlike-able characters and too many clichés. As for the scripts and the sets...No wonder Pam is leaving.

On a positive, the Massoods (bar Afia), Yusef, Corsa, Dot and Rose are great. Missing Bianca big time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many of the storylines on EE at present are all over the place and continuity has been buggered to hell.

Unless they get on top of this and sort out the pacing then its only going to create a massive mess within time.

I'm actually having visions of the state Hollyoaks went into once Bryan Kirkwood left. Everything fell apart like a pack of cards. He had better not leave EastEnders in the same state.
  • Options
    The Mad JokerThe Mad Joker Posts: 5,397
    Forum Member
    miles19740 wrote: »
    I think EastEnders has lost it's way. I don't think it knows who it is any more / what it is supposed to be achieving.

It is also filled with far too many characters, most of them the show can do without. There are too many chavvy characters, far too many teens, far too many unlike-able characters and too many clichés. As for the scripts and the sets...No wonder Pam is leaving.

On a positive, the Massoods (bar Afia), Yusef, Corsa, Dot and Rose are great. Missing Bianca big time.

did pam say she left cos she didnt like the scripts :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

We probably won't know her real reasons until she has gone. Like with Wendy Richards. It all looked ok with Wendy until she left then she slagged off EE for marrying Pauline again and said she would never forgive them for the way the character was killed off.

I doubt that its the same with Pam though. I think she is leaving on good terms just because she has been there so long and wants to retire. Plus I doubt Patsy Palmer being the diva she is would be returning had Bryan pissed Pam off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many of the storylines on EE at present are all over the place and continuity has been buggered to hell.

Unless they get on top of this and sort out the pacing then its only going to create a massive mess within time.

I'm actually having visions of the state Hollyoaks went into once Bryan Kirkwood left. Everything fell apart like a pack of cards. He had better not leave EastEnders in the same state.

I agree with you. Here's hoping that something is done before there is a risk of this happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She hasn't, but one can understand that it could be a totally believable reason. What did she do today? Comment on the builders over the road. Hardly ground breaking or exciting for her.

June Brown will be next I reckon...sadly. 'Cora' and 'Rose' are being introduced to offset 'Pat' and 'Dot'...in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We probably won't know her real reasons until she has gone. Like with Wendy Richards. It all looked ok with Wendy until she left then she slagged off EE for marrying Pauline again and said she would never forgive them for the way the character was killed off.

I doubt that its the same with Pam though. I think she is leaving on good terms just because she has been there so long and wants to retire. Plus I doubt Patsy Palmer being the diva she is would be returning had Bryan pissed Pam off.

Perhaps Patsey re-signed before she knew Pam was leaving. Who knows.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today was the first time I actually sat down and watched it for a few months and it was abysmal! I appreciate they've never had sparkling actors, but the guy that plays Michael
    Moon really hams it up at every opportunity. He's so useless I don't find him menacing in the slightest! His brother (not tyler) was awful today aswell, it looked like he was laughing when he told his father he'd lost the money on a bet. The story lines are really tedious aswell, it's just plain bloody awful at the moment.
  • Options
    JamieEastEnderJamieEastEnder Posts: 242
    Forum Member

Good point about Hollyoaks, people pin that on Lucy Allen but the problems started six months before Bryan Kirkwood left. Once he had gone it then folded inwards and the show became a mess with all storylines becoming stuck.

I can see the exact same thing happening to EE if they aren't very careful as its following the exact same pattern.
  • Options
    friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has all become a bit Hollyoakish like with Janine firing Rainie like that and the scene with Fatboy and Mercy's sister. None of it really works Eddie Moon changing from talking in riddles to talking normally confirms as much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point about Hollyoaks, people pin that on Lucy Allen but the problems started six months before Bryan Kirkwood left. Once he had gone it then folden inwards and the show became a mess with all storylines becoming stuck.

I can see the exact same thing happening to EE if they aren't very careful as its following the exact same pattern.

Maybe there is a plot to bring the show down by the BBC's commercial rivals...and Kirkwood is a part of that. Who knows.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point about Hollyoaks, people pin that on Lucy Allen but the problems started six months before Bryan Kirkwood left. Once he had gone it then folded inwards and the show became a mess with all storylines becoming stuck.

It sort of did happen after the live episode. Everything built up for that big event and the months that followed were dross.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sort of did happen after the live episode. Everything built up for that big event and the months that followed were dross.

The 'fire' was a damp squib though wasn't it. So hyped, and yet, was a total let down.

EastEnders shouldn't hype anything. Let viewers decide for themselves who and what they are going to enjoy. We don't appreciate being told what to like and who to enjoy. The Moons are a typical example of this. The producers so want us to love them, but clearly, the vast majority don't. Them being pushed down our throats is having the opposite effect.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'fire' was a damp squib though wasn't it. So hyped, and yet, was a total let down.

EastEnders shouldn't hype anything. Let viewers decide for themselves who and what they are going to enjoy. We don't appreciate being told what to like and who to enjoy. The Moons are a typical example of this. The producers so want us to love them, but clearly, the vast majority don't. Them being pushed down our throats is having the opposite effect.

The fire itself was spectacular - very well shot and dramatic, but the aftermath and a lot of the build-up was poor.

They should've had a death, even if just an extra which would lead to a manslaughter case against Phil etc...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guido9 wrote: »
    Agreed, Santer had a gently, gently approach with the introduction of any of his new characters and he was clever enough to let them grow on us. Now, like you say, they are thrown in at the deep end without a lifejacket and barely recover from the ordeal...on current evidence. Kat and Alfie are no strangers to the set up of course so don't really count but the newcoming Moons have been introduced to the show as if they'd been in it since the 80s! Things can only get better.....!

... Not to say that Santer was perfect by any means, Santer was very bad at exits, Yolande and Honey were two prime examples.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    The fire itself was spectacular - very well shot and dramatic, but the aftermath and a lot of the build-up was poor.

They should've had a death, even if just an extra which would lead to a manslaughter case against Phil etc...
    Rumour was Jean was going to die
    but then after uproar they decided not to kill her off
    and bought her back to the show rather then axing her
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I don't even watch it anymore.
  • Options
    bolam2011bolam2011 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bleaney wrote: »
    ... Not to say that Santer was perfect by any means, Santer was very bad at exits, Yolande and Honey were two prime examples.

Stella, May, Bradley, Jase, Archie and Frank's even though not a proper exit were all fantastic though.
  • Options
    PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member

But do you think its lost its way to the point of being unable to repair the damage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But do you think its lost its way to the point of being unable to repair the damage?

No...I hope not. It is definitely salvageable. A new producer (with vision, passion and drive), new writers and new story liners are needed badly. Half the cast needs to go to help make the show more manageable and more enjoyable for viewers. It badly needs more likeable characters to and characters from different nationalities to reflect multi-cultural London.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Of course not.

EE can be fixed easy but it could take a long time if it ended up in a position like Hollyoaks was early last year.

The problem with EE it now seems is that Bryan has filled out the production team with his personal loyal friends and followers. So many of them are standing by him regardless.