What does everyone think of the acting in Corrie ?

Comments

• norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Don't you mean Emmerdale's Katie Sugden ?
    They mean she's Corrie's equivalent of Katie Sugden.

I think the quality of acting varies. Jane Danson is outstanding, many are excellent, some aren't very good.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Yeah there are some very bad actors in Corrie, not just the usual suspects of Kate Ford, Anthony Cotton and Jimmi Harkinson but the likes of William Roache and Anne Kirkbride can be terrible though thankfully the writing for them is very good so they get away with it.

You're absolutely right, William Roache can be very wooden - look at the lack of any emotion whatsoever when Peter was arrested after Foster's death. It was like he'd been told it had started raining when he had just put washing on the line, not that his son was a possible murderer and going to jail! I think the majority are poor, personally, which makes the ones who aren't - Carla, Leanne, Roy and Hayley - look fantastically brilliant. The older actors are now nothing but comedy characters (Norris, Mary although I don't know how old she's supposed to be), or bit part players (Rita, Emily). I personally don't mind Antony Cotton - yes, he's not a good actor, at all, but there are a lot worse on there, such as Dev and Kirk who are both shocking, as is Sophie - how Granada can't see this and chuck them off the show is unbelievable.
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally the acting is as good as can be expected for a fast turn around soap but Jane Danson stands out despite having a lousy storyline at the moment. Of the 3 main soaps I would say Corrie and Emmerdale are close and Enders is dire.

That stinks of bias.

I'm sure as united community, most soap fans would agree that Eastenders has the strongest cast by a country mile. Obviously they have a few duds but the good far out weigh the bad.

Corrie on the other hand, as has been pointed out by most in this post, there are only a handful of actors that have any real talent. The rest are awful or wooden or simply going through the motions playing verisions of themselves with a different name - Ken Barlow...I mean William Roache springs to mind.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People expect too much from soap actors, soap actors work damn hard, unlike Hollywood actors, soap stars work non stop
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People expect too much from soap actors, soap actors work damn hard, unlike Hollywood actors, soap stars work non stop

They are being paid for a job - if they are not up to that job, there are plenty of other out of work actors out there. I agree they have a tough schedule of filming but should still be able to deliver a half decent performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jane Danson and Ali King do it on a weekly basis and churn out fantastic performances week after week so that is pretty lame excuse.
  • smashboxsmashbox Posts: 4,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jane Danson is the best actress.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    They are being paid for a job - if they are not up to that job, there are plenty of other out of work actors out there. I agree they have a tough schedule of filming but should still be able to deliver a half decent performance.
    I'm not excusing really crap soap actors, just saying some half decent ones should be cut some slack
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems people either love or hate Carla, but she's definitely one of the most talked about characters. Even the people who can't stand her, love to talk about her (I would go so far as to say that some of them are obsessed). Not many characters have that effect.
    She is a brilliantly written character, played by an actress who understands her perfectly.

I completely agree about Sue Cleaver. And I think Jane Danson is a great actress too, but I find that Leanne is a very irritating character. She often walks around with the same bitter and miserable expression on her face. She's depressing.

Paula Lane is another actress who continues to impress. :)

I doubt anyone is obessed by her apart from her "superfans"
    I find the character of Carla a bore... her biggest storylines have been repitive tosh. Her obsessing over men who are taken and her voice grates on me. It's so harsh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    ali king, chris gascoyne and jane danson are brillient in my opinion.
    Lesley too, shame she couldn't have been used in a different role then could have stayed in corrie longer.

IMO Elieen Derbyshire (Emily) is an absolutely dire actress who sounds like she is literally reading words from a script!
  • yourfabulousyourfabulous Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smashbox wrote: »
    I doubt anyone is obessed by her apart from her "superfans"
    I find the character of Carla a bore... her biggest storylines have been repitive tosh. Her obsessing over men who are taken and her voice grates on me. It's so harsh.

I disagree. And I think that if any character is boring, it's Leanne. Not to mention, depressing to watch. Every scene is pretty much the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    The acting in Corrie is brilliant. That's why it's one of the highest rated drama's in the country. There are exceptions - Anthony Cotton; The Camel (Dev).:mad:

The standout performers are Jane Danson who is one of the best on British TV, Ali King, Michelle Collins; Sue Nicholls; Paula Lane; Jack P Shepard; Chris Fountain; Sue Cleaver (when given the material which is not often enough if you ask me); Debbie Rush; Michelle Keegan; Shobna Gulati; John Mitchie; Stephenie Cole; Mikey North (under used); Kate Anthony (has the potential to be a Corrie legend); Jennie McAplin; David Neilson; Julie Hesmondhalgh; Alan Halsall; Sally Deynevor.

The rest are adequate actors and do a good job.

Getting rid of Anthony Rotten is a must...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shepard, Fountain, McAplin and Dynevor seriously!? You'd put those in the same league as Ali King or Jane Danson. That's quite frankly insulting! The two women particularly are both apalling. I go back to the tram crash cause I remember clearly the scene where Sally is comforting Molly, the acting was so bad I was tempted to switch off there and then.

I had forgotten Michelle Collins but I'd still only call her a competent actress. I remember her Cindy days and while I loved the character her acting was extremely hammy and wooden. I think she's improved slightly since then but I'd still consider her quite hammy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    That stinks of bias.

I'm sure as united community, most soap fans would agree that Eastenders has the strongest cast by a country mile. Obviously they have a few duds but the good far out weigh the bad.

Corrie on the other hand, as has been pointed out by most in this post, there are only a handful of actors that have any real talent. The rest are awful or wooden or simply going through the motions playing verisions of themselves with a different name - Ken Barlow...I mean William Roache springs to mind.

My apologies for expressing an opinion.:rolleyes::D:D
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    You're absolutely right, William Roache can be very wooden - look at the lack of any emotion whatsoever when Peter was arrested after Foster's death. It was like he'd been told it had started raining when he had just put washing on the line, not that his son was a possible murderer and going to jail! I think the majority are poor, personally, which makes the ones who aren't - Carla, Leanne, Roy and Hayley - look fantastically brilliant. The older actors are now nothing but comedy characters (Norris, Mary although I don't know how old she's supposed to be), or bit part players (Rita, Emily). I personally don't mind Antony Cotton - yes, he's not a good actor, at all, but there are a lot worse on there, such as Dev and Kirk who are both shocking, as is Sophie - how Granada can't see this and chuck them off the show is unbelievable.

I like the fact that Ken is unemotional. That's the character he plays - very restrained and undemonstrative. Not everyone reacts to crisis in an OTT manner. He's supposed to be a bookish intellectual, happier in his own world of books and classical music, but he's still an elder statesman of the street. Take him away and you lose one of the pivotal characters IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. And I think that if any character is boring, it's Leanne. Not to mention, depressing to watch. Every scene is pretty much the same.

Ah give a girl a break it's not everyday your husband leaves you for your so called friend. What do you expect her to be skipping round all the time?

I find Carla boring because she's very me me me and there's only so much of her I can take.

So nice to see what a high opinion people have of Jane on this thread. I've said it before and I'll say it again she is the best actress in corrie imo.
  • whoyouarexowhoyouarexo Posts: 6,099
    Forum Member
    I like the fact that Ken is unemotional. That's the character he plays - very restrained and undemonstrative. Not everyone reacts to crisis in an OTT manner. He's supposed to be a bookish intellectual, happier in his own world of books and classical music, but he's still an elder statesman of the street. Take him away and you lose one of the pivotal characters IMO.

Totally agree about Ken there! I think you've got him spot on!

In terms of acting, Jane Danson is brilliant, but in terms of character, Leanne seems to have a selective memory when shes making out that shes the second coming of God..specially in regards to Simon (who, she didn't mind leaving when she was considering skipping off with Nick..)
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me Corrie has the best and worst of soap acting. You see such extremes in a single episode.

The stand out talent for me, like a lot of you, comes from Carla, Peter and Leanne.

But then at the other end of the spectrum there is some truly embarrassing stuff - Sean, Mary, Dev.

I don't think the gulf is as wide in the other soaps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My faves are:
    Alison King (Carla)
    Chris Gasgoyne (Peter)
    Jane Danson (Leanne)
    Sue Cleaver (Eileen)
    Charlie Condou (Marcus)
    Katy Cavanagh (Julie)
    David Neilson (Roy)
    Debbie Rush (Anna)
  • yourfabulousyourfabulous Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smashbox wrote: »
    Ah give a girl a break it's not everyday your husband leaves you for your so called friend. What do you expect her to be skipping round all the time?

I find Carla boring because she's very me me me and there's only so much of her I can take.

So nice to see what a high opinion people have of Jane on this thread. I've said it before and I'll say it again she is the best actress in corrie imo.

I guess it's too much to ask for her to not be such a misery guts then. The thing is though, I can't remember Leanne ever being a barrel of laughs.

Alison King is the best actress imo.
  • madaboutcarlamadaboutcarla Posts: 10,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it's too much to ask for her to not be such a misery guts then. The thing is though, I can't remember Leanne ever being a barrel of laughs.

I agree. I've always found Leanne as a character a bit 'woe is me' but saying that I wouldn't want her to leave and I think Jane is a brilliant actress.
  • Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    I think Corrie has some great talent. But their either don't use it correctly or the actors can be lazy. For example the actress who plays Audrey can be utterly fantastic at times but pretty awful at other times and hams it up slightly (as does June Brown, from EE). I remember a scene last year where she gave Kylie a dressing down and Sue was just phenomenal. Can the same be said about Friday's escapades?

I'd say Barbara Knox is the best in the cast, totally over looked. She can draw you in with one look, she just turns on the emotion and it's totally natural. She can make me wet myself with laughter and then break my heart, all in one scene. A star.
    Chris Gascoyne, Malcolm Hebden, David Neilson, Jane Danson, Alison King, Katy Cavanagh and the utterly underrated Mikey North are the top rank alongside Babs Knox.

When their not being lazy and getting the material the deserve: Eileen Derbyshire, Anne Kirkbride, Helen Worth, Sue Nicholls, Michael Le Vell, Sally Dynevor, Simon Gregson, Jack P Shepard, Chris Fountain, Julie Hesmondhalgh, Alan Halsall, Sue Clever, Charlie Condou, Michelle Keegan, Debbie Rush, Cherylee Houston, Ian Puleston-Davies, Paula Lane and Stephanie Cole can be great too. I'd also surprise everyone and add Ryan Thomas as when he is given material that shows him off he can be great, and plays Jason perfectly.

I'd say the weaker ones in the cast are: Brooke Vincent, Jimmi Harkinson, Andrew Whyment, Jennie McApline, Anthony Cotton, Sam Aston and Patti Clare.

The rest it's early to early to tell, or are just decent enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah Leannes always been a right type, only recently she's had to be the mature one for Peter, and obviously a great mum to Simon.

Alison King is the most over rated actress in soaps in my opinion. Will just be interesting to see whether she wins any awards this year as if she doesn't know I doubt she ever will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I've always found Leanne as a character a bit 'woe is me' but saying that I wouldn't want her to leave and I think Jane is a brilliant actress.

Lol what would you call Carla and Peter then? Leanne is a strong women whereas the two of them are full of self pity.
  • JustMomJustMom Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree about Ken there! I think you've got him spot on!

In terms of acting, Jane Danson is brilliant, but in terms of character, Leanne seems to have a selective memory when shes making out that shes the second coming of God..specially in regards to Simon (who, she didn't mind leaving when she was considering skipping off with Nick..)

When did she skip off with nick? As far as I can recall she was messing around with him in the restaraunt but when it all blew up she dropped him but peter would have none of it and they parted.