Options

Going to University as an Adult?

lost_one1990lost_one1990 Posts: 248
Forum Member
Hey everyone :)

This is something which has been worrying me for years now, but thought I would finally take the plunge and get some advice on it. I've done a bit of research myself but its all very confusing and just wondering if anyone has any similar experiences. :) A few basic facts to begin with: I'm a 22 year old guy from the UK!

Basically, the title explains it all really. I am desperate to get back into education and make something of my life. I had a dream when I was younger that I would grow up to be a teacher- I changed my bedroom into a classroom, taught all the neighbourhood kids etc, had a whiteboard/projector and it was all very sad thinking back, but gosh I enjoyed it! So yeah- that was the dream.

I did really well during high school in my opinion. Despite being severely bullied for being overweight, quiet and 'different' and not really having any friends all through my life, I cracked on with it and obtained the following results which I was pleased about:

(GCSE)

Maths - B
English Lit - A
English Lang - C
Science (Double) - C
ICT (Double) - C
Art - B
Music - B
German - B
History - B

All was going fine, I signed up for college straight away and that was that. The college was about an hour away and I bought by bus pass and went to college. I was taking Music, Psychology, ICT and English Language.

I really thought the bullying and the feeling different would stop by this stage, thought I might pluck up the courage to make friends etc but again there was lots of laughing and stuff, and whenever we were told to work in groups I was once again the odd one out haha. I had never felt so scared and alone, and it just didnt seem worth it.

Feeling quite low, I decided to leave college 2 months after and left in around november that year. I spent that year working part time at my sister in laws shop and not really doing much really.

I then decided I would go back to college the following september and once again applied and had the interview and everything. This time I took ICT, German, Statistics and English Language. I went for just over a month and again I chickened out and left.

This was all quite a few years ago now (I'm 22 so getting old haha).

I got a job at a supermarket towards the end of 2009 and I have been working there ever since. I do checkouts/cash office/bakery and stuff, and I do quite enjoy it (sometimes). Then the problem- I find myself wishing I hadnt chickened out a few years ago and I wish I could have followed other peoples footsteps of going to college, getting my A levels and then going on to Universitity to give myself the best chance in life. I really don't want to be stuck as a supermarket worker forever (although im sure for some people its great), I cant help but feeling I want to follow my dreams, do something new and stuff.

After leaving college - I also took driving lessons and got myself a car via hire purchase. This costs me £130 a month, but for me it made me happy at the time, gave me a platform to travel to work (which is 10 miles away) and would be lost without my car. I have another 2 years of paying my car off too, as well as other expenses like insurance etc.

It is for this reason that stopping work to persue University scares me the most. Where would I get the money from? I know these things cost a lot, and I struggle a lot as it is haha. I still live at home with my mum, and help out with the bills and rent and stuff, as well as funding my car. Is there anywhere that offers loans or anything to people wanting to get back into education and perhaps university?

I would love to hear any opinions on what people think the best thing to do would be? My head is so confused right now about what to do. Part of me thinks its a no go because of the financial side of things, but the other half really desperately wants to get out there, make friends for the first time, follow my dreams and do something with my life instead of being so depressed all the time haha.

I wouldn't have a clue about courses, its all so confusing, all the entry requirements seem very high and I just have GCSES haha. Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    You should approach The Open University; so long as you have aptitude and a willingness to learn, you're in.

My fees are paid for and I get a little grant (£260 per year) and also a free laptop and Internet paid for (last year; the 'internet fund' dried-up this year)

Paper, ink, etc, you can invoice them, so that's fine.

My course is run on Saturday PMs at the local FE College, so you could work simultaneously.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't get in to university without 3 A-Levels or equivalent.

In before "urm actually you can do this or that or this"; like I said 3 A-Levels or equivalent qualifications. I do not know what those equivalent qualifications are, as I did A-Levels, but I think there might be something called an access course or something?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Cannot do links as on phone, and Safari died once when I did my initial message
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very much doubt that this will count as helpful advice to an "old man" of 22. :D:D

I left school at 14 in 1965 with three O levels (GCSEs). At age 58 and after being out of education for over 40 years, I did an access course and then went on to study Eng Lit at a campus based uni. Had to drop out in the second year unfortunately, but now continuing at Open University - and getting mostly distinctions. Love it.

Only message is, it really is never too late.
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, lots of people in my year at Uni were in their early twenties. No one guessed, we'd all be surprised when they mentioned their "24th Birthday" or something!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I don't know much about your queries, I don't even live in the UK, but I felt compelled to comment.

I just want to say good luck with whatever you choose, you seem like a nice person who's had a rough time. :)

And also a little bit of advice that my dad gave me: Where there's a will, there's always a way.

If you want it enough, go for it. You'll make it work. :)
  • Options
    gem2626gem2626 Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    You'd need to do an access course at your local college. That is what I did. There were no course fees (not sure if there is now) and no fees for books etc. The majority of people doing this were mature students. The youngest maybe 20 and the oldest in their 50's. At my local college you could do this full time over a year which was 4 days a week or part time over 2 years which was 2 days a week. If you did it part time then you could still work around that.

I loved doing this course there was a whole variety of different people and as people are more mature everyone got on with everyone.

I think the OU is great but if you're planning on being a teacher it might be a good idea to learn in a classroom, especially as you've had problems before. It would build your confidence and your social circle would increase.

Can't help with funding questions for uni as my circumstances and course were totally different. There must be someone you can speak to that would be able to work everything out for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a few people at my uni did a foundation course before moving on to their degree. You could see if any universities offer something like that for your level of qualifications/in your subject area.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Access course. I'm doing one now and just got an offer for a (very good) University and course.

I left school with no qualifications at all, and then went into an apprenticeship. Did my GCSEs as evening courses and now my A levels as an Access course. It's brilliant I could not recommend it more.

Universities will often waive their GCSE requirements for "mature" students as they bring commitment and work experience with them. You will need some recent study though to A level standard - either Access, Open Uni or a Foundation year. I believe the funding changes for Access as of next year, and it will be done as a student loan, which you only pay back when you earn a certain amount, the same as a loan for a Degree.

Just give a few local colleges a ring and have a chat to them, there are many many people who are doing exactly what you've described.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

This is something which has been worrying me for years now, but thought I would finally take the plunge and get some advice on it. I've done a bit of research myself but its all very confusing and just wondering if anyone has any similar experiences. :) A few basic facts to begin with: I'm a 22 year old guy from the UK!

Basically, the title explains it all really. I am desperate to get back into education and make something of my life. I had a dream when I was younger that I would grow up to be a teacher- I changed my bedroom into a classroom, taught all the neighbourhood kids etc, had a whiteboard/projector and it was all very sad thinking back, but gosh I enjoyed it! So yeah- that was the dream.

I did really well during high school in my opinion. Despite being severely bullied for being overweight, quiet and 'different' and not really having any friends all through my life, I cracked on with it and obtained the following results which I was pleased about:

(GCSE)

Maths - B
    English Lit - A
    English Lang - C
    Science (Double) - C
    ICT (Double) - C
    Art - B
    Music - B
    German - B
    History - B

All was going fine, I signed up for college straight away and that was that. The college was about an hour away and I bought by bus pass and went to college. I was taking Music, Psychology, ICT and English Language.

I really thought the bullying and the feeling different would stop by this stage, thought I might pluck up the courage to make friends etc but again there was lots of laughing and stuff, and whenever we were told to work in groups I was once again the odd one out haha. I had never felt so scared and alone, and it just didnt seem worth it.

Feeling quite low, I decided to leave college 2 months after and left in around november that year. I spent that year working part time at my sister in laws shop and not really doing much really.

I then decided I would go back to college the following september and once again applied and had the interview and everything. This time I took ICT, German, Statistics and English Language. I went for just over a month and again I chickened out and left.

I got a job at a supermarket towards the end of 2009 and I have been working there ever since. I do checkouts/cash office/bakery and stuff, and I do quite enjoy it (sometimes). Then the problem- I find myself wishing I hadnt chickened out a few years ago and I wish I could have followed other peoples footsteps of going to college, getting my A levels and then going on to Universitity to give myself the best chance in life. I really don't want to be stuck as a supermarket worker forever (although im sure for some people its great), I cant help but feeling I want to follow my dreams, do something new and stuff.

After leaving college - I also took driving lessons and got myself a car via hire purchase. This costs me £130 a month, but for me it made me happy at the time, gave me a platform to travel to work (which is 10 miles away) and would be lost without my car. I have another 2 years of paying my car off too, as well as other expenses like insurance etc.

It is for this reason that stopping work to persue University scares me the most. Where would I get the money from? I know these things cost a lot, and I struggle a lot as it is haha. I still live at home with my mum, and help out with the bills and rent and stuff, as well as funding my car. Is there anywhere that offers loans or anything to people wanting to get back into education and perhaps university?

I would love to hear any opinions on what people think the best thing to do would be? My head is so confused right now about what to do. Part of me thinks its a no go because of the financial side of things, but the other half really desperately wants to get out there, make friends for the first time, follow my dreams and do something with my life instead of being so depressed all the time haha.

I wouldn't have a clue about courses, its all so confusing, all the entry requirements seem very high and I just have GCSES haha. Has anyone been in this situation before?

22 years old is hardly a mature student (that's the term you meant I expect). Nobody will notice your age. Remember, any person starting an MSc, MA, PhD etc. will normally be 21 years of age.

And again, unless things have changed, you need at least a couple of A levels (or equivalent) to go to Uni (the OU may be an exception, so check).

Anyway, good luck with your endeavours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If going back to university is what you really want then of course you can make it happen. There are lots of good tips on this thread already. Help towards funding is available if you research it. However. I think if you are going to return to education then you need to be prepared for the fact that it will be hard at times and you might struggle with some of those social issues again. You need to be ready to fight through the hard times because I think you would really regret it if you ended up leaving midway through the course again.
  • Options
    ChemistryChemistry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Hey I am a mature student who is about to complete my first year of uni :O

I, like yourself, was also bullied and left college because of the bullying but also because I hated the course I was on. After a few years in the real world applying for crap jobs and cleaning toilets I decided that my intelligence was far better than this and decided to go to uni.

I was able to begin a foundation year which was a life line as I just could not fund access. During this year I met wonderful people, but I also became an outsider because I didn't have children :rolleyes: . This actually done me a favour though as I got stuck in my books and ended up with AAA.

My feeling is that I gave up a hell of a lot to be here, I will not let others ruin that :P This is the attitude you have to go in with; otherwise you won't succeed at the end.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    another one for Access Courses. I went as a mature student(seems strange saying that because at 24 I didn't feel that mature:D) after doing an Access course at the local college. The University I went to had no problems accepting me, in fact many Universities like mature students as they are generally more willing to put the time and effort in to studying because they have given up a lot to be there. You don't have to get involved with the Union or spend your evenings in the bar if you don't want to. I already had a social life outside of University so I never felt that I was missing out when I didn't go out every night getting pissed in the Union bar. It also meant that I concentrated on my studies more.
  • Options
    ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member

Not at 22, but past about 25 they tend to look more holistically at applications. You would need to demonstrate aptitude and ability, but might be able to do a foundation year rather than A Levels.
  • Options
    ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    22 years old is hardly a mature student (that's the term you meant I expect). Nobody will notice your age. Remember, any person starting an MSc, MA, PhD etc. will normally be 21 years of age.

I did a first degree from 18 to 21, but started back as a full time PhD student at 47.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon education is wasted on the youth of today. When you're an adult you're mature enough to take advantage of it and really enjoy it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(GCSE)

Maths - B
    English Lit - A
    English Lang - C
    Science (Double) - C
    ICT (Double) - C
    Art - B
    Music - B
    German - B
    History - B

I would be looking to find advice and guidance about which deplomars you can do or A Levels you can get. most areas have Adult colleges. mostly these are quite different to the 'kiddy college' where bullying and laeking about is the general behaviour.
    People who go to Adult college do so because (like you) they are serious about improving their life and the life of their families, improving their skill base and climbing up the work ladder.
    My son has just got on a child care course at our local one (he has done other courses there and he says it's the best place to learn)
    I suggest you locate and talk to there course/careers advisor they will help you. It may take you 3-6 years to get your deploma/degree as you need A levels or eqevelant but it will be worth it if you choose the right career path. one of my other sons is doing a nursing degree and he's 34 maried and has two young children. so for you it should be quite straight forward. best wished. Voicy.:)
    by the way I did my NVQ 3 in Child care at the youthful age of 53 (never too late to learn) I am thinking of doing the pre-degree course next year NVQ 4 I'll be 57 then.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in my second year and am 51 so would echo those who say its never too late to learn. I did need qualifications but fortunately had all those they wanted...the entry requirements for each course is different but I used my HNC as an equivalent for three A levels and I had to have GCSE in Maths and Eng but universities offer access and catch up courses for GCSE's.

One thing that worries me about your plans OP is that you mention wanting to go into teaching. I'm not sure if that is still your plan but you appear to struggle socially, so much so that you have dropped out of two courses so far. You need to think beyond the course because teaching does demand good communication and social skills and children are experts at bullying....teachers with a low self esteem are fabulous targets.

It sounds like you cant do anything fast because you have some financial committments and do need to top up your qualifications before you can start so it is perhaps more of a long term project...and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the things you could look at is perhaps get some counselling to see if you can determine why you feel awkward in social situations and to see what you can do to feel more comfortable...perhaps something like CBT would help you analyse your feelings and reactions to events. What I am saying is, while working on the extra qualifications you need....do a bit of work on you too. It would be beneficial :)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    ibatten wrote: »
    I did a first degree from 18 to 21, but started back as a full time PhD student at 47.

Like I said, normally, but not always. :p
  • Options
    lost_one1990lost_one1990 Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Hey guys,

thanks for the replies, means a lot :)

The open university seems like a good option I think.

Taglet- I completely agree with what you say about the whole social thing. It would be difficult I guess, its all part of being more confident, and I'm really not a confident person at all haha.

I guess this is something I should look into in a few years then really. I'm having a bit of a bad time right now for various reasons, and quite often get really depressed about certain things. I find myself going to sleep each night crying, also bursting out crying at random points during the day when I think about a certain someone haha. I've made a friend online, known him for nearly 2 years now, and I've just got so close, like finally having a best friend- I care about him so much, I worry about him, think about him a lot and his happiness means the world to me. We are so similar, we share the same problems we help each other out, we talk every day, we text each other goodnight etc, I've never spoke to someone before that is so similar to me and we like all the same things. We've been through so much together, but then I have to face reality that he doesnt want it to ever become a real friendship, just online, and one day he will move on and I won't be able to talk to him anymore. This is the single most scary thing in the world to me, and If I could have any one wish in the world it would be to get to meet him just once haha. Even if it was the last thing I did before dieing it would be to just see him haha. I've always wanted a best friend, and now I've got one it feels so amazing, but then also so scary at the same time thinking about losing him.

Its really hard to put it into words and explain here, but I guess I've just become a bit attached really, but I find it impossible to not like him haha, I get so jealous about all his friends in the real world, how lucky they are to just talk to him and stuff haha, and then I get mad when people do things to upset him, thinking how could they do that to someone so amazing. I just adore him :P

Anyway that was slightly off topic, but I have so many issues going on in my head at the moment, and I just really don't feel like this whole life thing is worth it sometimes haha. It is so painful not being able to see him smile and knowing that I will never get the chance to meet him haha, and that he just sees me as some friend on the internet he talks to, but to me he is so much more and has helped me through so much. I've helped him through stuff too like coming out to some of his friends, and I try to be there for him all the time- its like my sole purpose in life right now is to make sure he is happy haha.

It just hurts and it really scares me. I have so many pictures and stuff he's sent me, its like he is almost real, but will never be here haha. I think I'm just a big cry baby haha, but its seriously affecting my life and I know I shouldnt let it, but its just the closest I've ever felt to ANYONE in my life. no hope! :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone that goes uni is an adult.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started uni at 21.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Just a note to point out that as it's your first degree you would be entitled to exactly the same financial support that 18-year-olds fresh out of school get - so tuition fee and living cost loans, as well as being eligible to apply for any relevant grants and bursaries. You wouldn't pay back a penny until you were earning £21k a year, and then only a certain percentage of however much over £21k you earned. Don't let the money aspect put you off.

NB - facts correct at time of going to press :-)
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In before "urm actually you can do this or that or this"; like I said 3 A-Levels or equivalent qualifications. I do not know what those equivalent qualifications are, as I did A-Levels, but I think there might be something called an access course or something?

I went to uni at age 23 with 7 years work experience and 5 gcse's grade c and above, no A levels or foundation year, but my course was a HND which may be an option. You can switch to the 2nd year of a degree after 1 year on a HND
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

thanks for the replies, means a lot :)

The open university seems like a good option I think.

Taglet- I completely agree with what you say about the whole social thing. It would be difficult I guess, its all part of being more confident, and I'm really not a confident person at all haha.

I guess this is something I should look into in a few years then really. I'm having a bit of a bad time right now for various reasons, and quite often get really depressed about certain things. I find myself going to sleep each night crying, also bursting out crying at random points during the day when I think about a certain someone haha. I've made a friend online, known him for nearly 2 years now, and I've just got so close, like finally having a best friend- I care about him so much, I worry about him, think about him a lot and his happiness means the world to me. We are so similar, we share the same problems we help each other out, we talk every day, we text each other goodnight etc, I've never spoke to someone before that is so similar to me and we like all the same things. We've been through so much together, but then I have to face reality that he doesnt want it to ever become a real friendship, just online, and one day he will move on and I won't be able to talk to him anymore. This is the single most scary thing in the world to me, and If I could have any one wish in the world it would be to get to meet him just once haha. Even if it was the last thing I did before dieing it would be to just see him haha. I've always wanted a best friend, and now I've got one it feels so amazing, but then also so scary at the same time thinking about losing him.

Its really hard to put it into words and explain here, but I guess I've just become a bit attached really, but I find it impossible to not like him haha, I get so jealous about all his friends in the real world, how lucky they are to just talk to him and stuff haha, and then I get mad when people do things to upset him, thinking how could they do that to someone so amazing. I just adore him :P

Anyway that was slightly off topic, but I have so many issues going on in my head at the moment, and I just really don't feel like this whole life thing is worth it sometimes haha. It is so painful not being able to see him smile and knowing that I will never get the chance to meet him haha, and that he just sees me as some friend on the internet he talks to, but to me he is so much more and has helped me through so much. I've helped him through stuff too like coming out to some of his friends, and I try to be there for him all the time- its like my sole purpose in life right now is to make sure he is happy haha.

It just hurts and it really scares me. I have so many pictures and stuff he's sent me, its like he is almost real, but will never be here haha. I think I'm just a big cry baby haha, but its seriously affecting my life and I know I shouldnt let it, but its just the closest I've ever felt to ANYONE in my life. no hope! :P

I actually think this is more important than your plans to go to university right now. I dont know anything about your life but this online attachment isnt healthy, you know that dont you? You are investing so much of your energy into something which isnt shared, isnt reciprocal and has no future...sorry for being blunt but I'm just picking that up from what you have said.

You appear to have some problems in handling relationships...those that are close to you (at college) make you feel unsafe hence why you dropped out twice. Your online friend is perhaps a safe option because it is just simply easier to open up online when using a computer as a barrier which is why you feel closer to that person than any other...you have been able to open up.

I think having plans is a great thing and you have time so dont lose sight of them but seek some help. Your life could be so much easier if you understood why you view things as you do. You cant change the course of your life unless you understand why you are on the present one.

Good luck