Do you know anyone who has ever won the lotto?

2»

Comments

• OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I saw Michael Carrol sat at the bus station this week at 6.30 am with his bike, he's there most weeks, £9,000,000 and nothing but a push bike left of his fortune.

Perhaps now he's impoverished he's turned over a new leaf in character. Last I read he's working in a biscuit factory in the North of Scotland and seems quite content. It's a bit of a modern parable... the Parable of the Lotto Winner :blush:
  • hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A (very quickly former :) ) colleague at work won 2.4M some years ago. A student at my school also won around £9,000 in the first few months of the lottery - he said he was going to save it for his first house. (Not the typical 15/16 year old response:D )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I myself am a lottery winner, I won £6.94 on Euromillions back in December 2010

I initially read that as £6.94 million... :blush::D
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter's mother-in-law (not UK) won 200,000 euros a few years back and gave each of her three children 25,000 euros. It helped daughter and husband get on the housing ring.
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A guy near me won £4million a couple of years ago. I dont know why but for some reason a few locals think its a mate of mine who won it. Hed had a few strange comments and looks whilst out walking his dog but didnt know why until somebody had asked him if he was the bloke who won the lottery. As you do you just go along with it and pretend it was you so now whenever hes out with his dog he gets the local kids asking him "How much did you win mister"
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of my sisters won $70000. Single mum on benefits, Started her own business making sculptures, I got one from her, sort of abstract thing, but looks nice on my mantelpiece. She now makes a very nice living out of it.
  • ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugly bloke in Plymouth now bankrupt after being fleeced by a blonde half his age
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugly bloke in Plymouth now bankrupt after being fleeced by a blonde half his age

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1191822/Lottery-winner-blew-millions-fast-cars-yachts-model-wife-ends-court--400-debt.html

Surely he must have wondered what she saw in him?
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    We've had 3 big millionaire winners in our town, of which I have known two of them. First one won 3.5 mil, they came in the pub where I worked and the woman was in our darts team, although I didn't actually like her that much. She came on girls weekends away sometimes. The husband died about 2 years ago, and she is virtually penniless now, it was spend spend spend with them.

The other ones won 1.5 mil and own the fruit and veg shop that I always use. Seem a canny couple, they still own and work in the shop.

Don't know the other winners, they won theirs about a month after the first ones.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I won £10 with my first ticket, I decided to not play again as I was £9 up
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 8 years ago I got 4 numbers on a Saturday draw and won £63.
    The following Wednesday I got 5 numbers which was around £2,300. As I checked the numbers off the first 5 matched. I almost had a mini heart attack just thinking I might have won the jackpot - I'm not sure if I'd have coped had I actually got all 6 numbers!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guttridge wrote: »
    Do you know anyone who has ever won the lotto?

My cousin won a few years ago, around £5 million. It was great because she had just recently got the all clear after treatment for breast cancer. :)
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a really sweet, friendly girl works in my local corner shop, a little scatty though.

She said to me other day, "You are so lucky, you always have winning tickets." I had to point out to her that the losing ones were in the bin, not much point bringing those in. :)
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I initially read that as £6.94 million... :blush::D

So did I and had my begging letter all ready to post!

A man who used to referee my son's football won over a million but I don't really know him that well.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    My mam won £25 a few weeks ago, and she's won a tenner a few times.
    Someone my mam knows won a few million in the 90s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my tenants won over £6 million a few years back. They were working class and had worked hard to scrape enough together and were due to retire that year.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep.

A childhood friend of mine's family won 2.7 million in 1997.

They now live in Australia. Lucky bar stewards :D
  • PenrosePenrose Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A young lad at work won the Millionaire's Raffle.

I didn't like him.

He's retired now and he's not 25.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 8 years ago I got 4 numbers on a Saturday draw and won £63.
    The following Wednesday I got 5 numbers which was around £2,300. As I checked the numbers off the first 5 matched. I almost had a mini heart attack just thinking I might have won the jackpot - I'm not sure if I'd have coped had I actually got all 6 numbers!

Congratulations :)... Although must be really frustrating to be so near and yet so far

My 4-ball win of £141 is the most I've ever won on a single ticket so I'm well chuffed, I'm not sure how I'd cope if I got 5 numbers! :blush:
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My niece's father won a few hundred thousand.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The company I worked for in Barcelona had a group of people who won El Gordo (it was in pesetas at the time,cant' for the life of me remember the amount aside the amazing amount of zeroes)
  • PenrosePenrose Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    My niece's father won a few hundred thousand.

Brother? Brother-in-law?