Couples with 30-50 years age difference

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
Forum Member
I know it's none of my business, but you have to put a line somewhere. You're dating someone that weren't' even born when you were 25.

Do you see these couples in a different light? Do you feel like there's something really wrong about this picture. Something makes me uneasy about them.

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live and let live and all that.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tas_Has wrote: »
    I know it's none of my business, but you have to put a line somewhere. It seems worse than pedophilia. You're dating someone that weren't' even born when you were 25.

Do you see these couples in a different light? Do you feel like there's something really wrong about this picture. Something makes me uneasy about them.

Do you honestly think that 2 consenting adults in a relationship together, is worse than an adult molesting/raping a child?
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well whatever floats your boat. Some people just have pretty creepy boats.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they make each other happy I don't have a problem with it. I go for slightly older, myself.

With a gap that large, though, the younger person would be ripe for mistreatment/manipulation due to the older person having more life experience. All depends on the couple, of course.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you honestly think that 2 consenting adults in a relationship together, is worse than an adult molesting/raping a child?

Exactly. Children don't get a choice.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's none of my business, but you have to put a line somewhere. It seems worse than pedophilia. You're dating someone that weren't' even born when you were 25.

Wow, so if I ended up with a woman in her 50's, 60's or whatever then it would be worse than abusing a child?

Get a bloody grip.

Anyway, to answer your question correctly. Different people have different outlooks and as long as they are happy then that's all that matters. If you would deprive two adults of a loving relationship because you feel the age difference isn't right then I'm afraid that says a lot more about you than it ever would about them.

I know a few people who have large age gaps and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. They aren't as big as your examples though.

I personally don't think I could but then I am at an age where older people seem really old and younger people seem really young - actually a large age gap like what you've described lower would be impossible for me (not to mention sick); so I'm thinking more along the lines of 10 years (which I think is pretty big)
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they are both consenting adult I see no problem with it. The largest age gap I personally know of is 20 years and they are as happy as any other couple. Add another 10 years and it wouldn;t make any difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying pedophilia is okay. It's cruelest thing to ever happen to a child, but at the same time I don't find it comfortable about a 70 year old man making out with a 20 something year old girl. It looks wrong on so many levels.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member

Having an age gap is worse than pedophilia? Really? What a ridiculous statement

I don't feel like there's anything wrong with it, as long as both are of legal age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying pedophilia is okay. It's cruelest thing to ever happen to a child, but at the same time I don't find it comfortable about a 70 year old man making out with a 20 something year old girl. It looks wrong on so many levels.

I'm sorry but... while I agree that a 70 year old and a 20 something making out is a bit "out there" it does not belong in the same sentence as child abuse, it is dilluting an utterly horrific and damaging perversion.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worse than pedophilia? Two fully consenting adults in a relationship is worse than paedophilia? :o

I don't buy into the idea that a twenty-something wouldn't have anything in common with someone in their fourties, fifties or even older. I'm 24, and a fair number of my colleagues at work are in their fourties and fifties. I get on with them probably better than I do the few colleagues who are closer in age to me.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm, I'm kinda thinking we're feeding the troll here people. I'm oot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    It's a bit skeevy but if they're both adults and there's no manipulation then let them get on with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    You said it yourself:
    I know it's none of my business, but....
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    It's not really the same thing but i still find the Sam Taylor-Wood/Aaron Taylor-Johnson relationship creepy. She's been in his life since he was like 15/16 and always in position of power like producer or director.

I know there's not illegal about, however i still find it extremely creepy.
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as they are both consenting adults and are hurting no one, it's none of my business.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I don't think I could stand dating someone 10 years younger or older than me, but each to their own
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    I don't think I could stand dating someone 10 years younger or older than me, but each to their own

Neither could I, but the OP is based more on judging other people for their decisions. What works for one may not work for others and I personally think it's wrong to project your own standards onto other people like that.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right, it's none of your business. So jog on.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Trololololol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    You're right, it's none of your business. So jog on.

When you're out and about, I'm sure most or almost everyone would take notice of that.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Has the original post been edited or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's none of my business, but you have to put a line somewhere. You're dating someone that weren't' even born when you were 25.

That's about the size of it. Indeed, it's nobody's business but theirs.

A massive age difference is odd, but there you go.

There is a guy of 60 at work who is with a woman of 35. They seem really happy together. That said, he does look exceptionally young for his age.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How many times in your life have you seen that?
    Unless you're a butler in the Playboy Mansion, I'd guess the answer is actually "never".
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has the original post been edited or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Your eyes are fine. It's been edited.