How to get a council house

Comments

• TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    tony321 wrote: »
    Has Ray not thought about getting a job and paying his way ?

it is very easy to say, but it isnt as easy as going out and getting a job
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London will soon become so expensive for rent it will end up like Hong Kong or new York.
  • nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people would want to live in London unless they earned a fat salary. I lived in the capital over a decade ago and whilst it wasn't as expensive as it is now, it was still dear compared to where I was brought up and I soon got tired of living the life I would have had back home but paying through the nose for it. Outside the centre, London is an absolute smelly shit-tip and as for Tower Hamlets - phewwey!

£315 a week for a flat - you'd get a palace in Northamptonshire for that:o

But are there the jobs?

Btw I wouldn't live anywhere else - love this smelly shit-tip!!
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Nice fridge.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    the council housing guy is very condescending and judgemental

Sounds like your typical council office worker if you ask me.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is very easy to say, but it isnt as easy as going out and getting a job

True, but it doesn't seem to have entered his head to even look for one
    Forum Member
    nvella wrote: »
    But are there the jobs?

!

exactly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jobs are very hard to come by as there's 14 million people across 40 miles; also you need paperwork, certificates etc just to get employment in a warehouse nowadays...
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just look at the difference in rental value between private and council housing.

£379 £139

That's almost £250 in profit.

And people wonder why council housing is NOT subsidised.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    London will soon become so expensive for rent it will end up like Hong Kong or new York.

With people having to move from central London to the outer London boroughs, the rents on these properties are rapidly rising.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jobs are very hard to come by as there's 14 million people across 40 miles; also you need paperwork, certificates etc just to get employment in a warehouse nowadays...

It's 7 million.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    exactly

According to todays stats there are !!!!! Trouble is they pay minimum wage or zero hours contracts which are no good to anybody.

Someone, somewhere soon is going to have to sort the housing problem once and for all because it is going to boil over soon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know whether to feel lucky or annoyed watching this. What i do know is I'd do literally anything and sell everything to keep a roof over my sons head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When there's 150 applicants for 1 job , people at the bottom of the pile with issues etc won't get employment with anyone, so end up on 70 quid or 120 quid a week. No savings or borrowing power means then they can't change their predicament, or improve their lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    manued2009 wrote: »
    It's 7 million.

And fair play if you need the right paperwork, its called called paying taxes and being legal :confused:
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if either of the single mums I've seen so far get any financial support for their children from their exes ?
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    nvella wrote: »
    But are there the jobs?

Btw I wouldn't live anywhere else - love this smelly shit-tip!!

Don't quote me, but I believe the unemployment rate is consistently below the national average. There is plenty of work about - it may not be your 9-5 office job with pension and benefits, but it's still work and even on minimum wage you can have some sort of life.

People just have to face up to the fact that if you can't afford to live somewhere, then that's just tough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She has 4 boys? When did she realise she would be single?
    Forum Member
    not all people on benefits trash the place they rent, generalising
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    not all people on benefits trash the place they rent, generalising

Trouble is it seems OK to discriminate against people based on their employment status.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    manued2009 wrote: »
    And fair play if you need the right paperwork, its called called paying taxes and being legal :confused:

What I meant was that people like that are legislated out of any emoluments so that the employer cannot legally employ them in any post because you need to be of a certain eduation level/ understanding to be employed, eg. To understand a health and safety course etc
  • scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    716 per week is 37,232 per year, that the same as earning £53k a year before paying tax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has 4 boys? When did she realise she would be single?

No Father again, seems to be a recurring theme with all these girls
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When are these programmes going to tell us if the father is still around or NOT?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    scott789s wrote: »
    716 per week is 37,232 per year, that the same as earning £53k a year before paying tax.

Most of which goes to the buy to let landlords.

Artificially HIGH rents are the problem, not the unemployed.