Parallell Parking

malspiemalspie Posts: 768
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone out there got any tips for parallell parking? I have been driving for the past 18 years and consider myself to be an average but careful driver, but just cannot get my head around this parallell parking lark! I have practised but am very aware of the "tut tut, women drivers!" brigade, so just give up. I drive quite a small car, a VW polo with power assisted steering. Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've been driving for 18 years and you can't parallel park? I had to do it on my driving test.

Anyway, a hint my instructor gave me is have a sticker on the middle bottom of your rear window. When the middle of that sticker goes over the curb in your rear view mirror then turn the wheel the other way. It always worked for me.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    You've been driving for 18 years and you can't parallel park? I had to do it on my driving test.

Anyway, a hint my instructor gave me is have a sticker on the middle bottom of your rear window. When the middle of that sticker goes over the curb in your rear view mirror then turn the wheel the other way. It always worked for me.

Yes you'll do it as part of your lessons, possibly on your test, but instructors or examiner will probably pick somewhere where the gaps large and there's little chance of clouting another car.

My instructor had bits of tape in the back window, 3 across the window IIRC.
    IIRC there was something about turning in, winding onto full lock, once you're parallel with the back of the car you're trying to park behind.
    An instructor might turn up and help you out, I can't.
    I can parallel park Vans and large cars easier than the small car I've got now, bulbous ar$e/boot puts my eye off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always found that fannying around for five minutes then reversing into a tree worked for me.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I always found that fannying around for five minutes then reversing into a tree worked for me.

What if there's no tree available, will waiting until the alarm goes off in the car behind, then stopping do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if there's no tree available, will waiting until the alarm goes off in the car behind, then stopping do?

Absolutely and don't forget that backing up into a cyclist is always a perfectly good option.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you'll do it as part of your lessons, possibly on your test, but instructors or examiner will probably pick somewhere where the gaps large and there's little chance of clouting another car.
    Yes, certainly on the test you would only be asked to do it behind a car, not between two cars.
    malspie wrote: »
    I have practised but am very aware of the "tut tut, women drivers!" brigade, so just give up.
    Find somewhere quiet to practice, a dead end street for example. You only need one other parked vehicle to practice with to park behind - in fact it is best to start with nothing behind where you are going to park as that way you can practice getting the angles correct before worrying about how much room you have behind and it is easy to adjust your technique for the space once you can turn in perfectly.

It is just one of these things that you get used to once you have done it a few times. I got used to doing it in my instructor's car enough to get by on the test, but I have to admit I'm still not brilliant at doing it in my car as I hardly ever park in on-street spaces.
    But... I've had to get good at parallel parking in the truck at work as some of the places I deliver to leave no other choice and I now don't find it much bother to get into ridiculously tight gaps.
    Getting a 34' lorry into a barely 40' gap here is fun when the roadway is only one lane wide. There is a reason why the signs say the road is "unsuitable for coaches".:p
  • BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been driving for 15 years but am too chicken sh*t to risk trying to get in to many spaces, I tend to try and find spaces that are at the end of start of a row.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i did it beautifully during my test :) and i am fairly confident about doing it if left in peace to do it

i get very flustered though if there is another car stopping and waiting for me to do it so it get past... worried i am going to mess up and make a fool of myself... i think it's called performance anxiety :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For my test my instructor had shown me a certain technique which worked perfectly. Once I passed though I never managed to get it to work!

I just do it on my own estimates and it tends to work fine.

Recently went from a Corsa to a Laguna so it took a while to adjust to finding parking spaces for that. A lot of the time, the gap actually looks smaller inside the car. Many times I have parked up somewhere else then wondered why the hell I missed a spot closer to the house!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »

It was only put into the driving test less than 20 years ago so the OP may not have had to have done it for their test. I passed my test in 1988 and I didn't have to park or do a theory test.
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trick is to keep the wheel hard to right until the car is parallel with the kerb. An awful lot of people start turning it back too early and then you end up all squint. Of course it depends how much room you have.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let the edge of what your are reversing into get about 1/3rd of the way across your rear passenger window and start turning in?

seemples :p
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify for people on here,

you do not have to 'pass' either of your two manouvers on the driving test.

I failed both manouvers (got a minor for both), but still passed the test.

You will only actually fail the overall test if you bugger up the manouvers so much that you cause other people problems
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with the advent of electric wing mirrors I find that if you point the passenger side mirror downwards so you can see the kerb in it the rest is easy.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,890
    Forum Member
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always found that the trick is to stop exactly alongside the car you want to park behind (wing mirror to wing mirror). Turn wheel to full left lock, reverse until pointing at about 45 degrees then straighten up. Keep going back until nearly in then go to full right lock and pull the front in.

This assumes both cars are of similar size. If you are driving something somewhat smaller than the other (like a Corsa compared with a 4WD), you will need to start a bit further back - if larger then a bit further forward.

Another unrelated tip relates to the three point turn. Always turn the wheel to the opposite lock just before you stop on each phase of the exercise.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Practice, practice and more practice.

and if that still doesn't work, book a couple of lessons with an instructor and get them to help you.

With 18 years behind the wheel, you really should be able to parallel park.:(

You must be inconveniencing other drivers a lot.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkpaw wrote: »
    i did it beautifully during my test :) and i am fairly confident about doing it if left in peace to do it

i get very flustered though if there is another car stopping and waiting for me to do it so it get past... worried i am going to mess up and make a fool of myself... i think it's called performance anxiety :o

Same here. I can do it perfectly well on my own.

But if anyone is in the car with me (especially hubby giving "advice" :mad:) or if there is anyone in another car waiting I just go to pieces. :D
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Practice, practice and more practice.

and if that still doesn't work, book a couple of lessons with an instructor and get them to help you.

With 18 years behind the wheel, you really should be able to parallel park.:(
    You must be inconveniencing other drivers a lot.

Agreed. Same goes for the FM that has been driving for 15 years.
  • bunnydsbunnyds Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been driving for a lot longer than 18 years and I absolutely hate street parking. Only managed one "perfect" park in all those years. I will not move into a house with on street parking.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm brilliant (no point in false modesty :D ) at all manoeuvring, and the parallel park wasn't even part of the test when I took it.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry about it.

If you are careful you can get through a lifetime of driving without the need to parallel park, or do a 3 point turn, or reverse round a corner or even an Emergency Stop.

My mate's dopey wife always plans her route so she doesn't need to do a right hand turns at junctions .....she hates them
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    I have always found that the trick is to stop exactly alongside the car you want to park behind (wing mirror to wing mirror). Turn wheel to full left lock, reverse until pointing at about 45 degrees then straighten up. Keep going back until nearly in then go to full right lock and pull the front in.

This assumes both cars are of similar size. If you are driving something somewhat smaller than the other (like a Corsa compared with a 4WD), you will need to start a bit further back - if larger then a bit further forward.

Another unrelated tip relates to the three point turn. Always turn the wheel to the opposite lock just before you stop on each phase of the exercise.

^^ This is pretty much the technique I use. The key is to be quite heavy on the steering - when I see people mess up parallel parking, it is usually because they are turning too gradually and entering the space at too shallow an angle - for a tight space, you need to be using full lock on both turns.
    The important parts are:

1) Start close to the car in front, with about 6 inches separating tips of wing mirrors.

2) When the back of your car is about 1 foot beyond the back of the adjacent car, check the road in front and behind then start to put on the turn, keep increasing the turn as you reverse until the rear wheel is about 2 feet from the kerb and stop and evaluate.

3) Now look forwards to the end of your bonnet. Start turning the opposite way as fast as you can whilst starting to slowly reverse again, so that your bonnet comes as close as possible to the rear corner of the car in front, checking behind you as you go. Use the car in front as you marker for how close to the kerb you are going to end up.

4) If you hit the kerb, or are too far out, it is usually easier to go back out and start again, adjusting your entry position, than it is to try and correct whilst in the gap.

I have to do this everytime I get home, and I usually get into gaps with about 2" at the front and rear.

My final piece of advice is this:

Next time you buy a car, look for one with reverse parking sensors - they do actually make the job significantly easier because you can concentrate more on the front of you car and the angles without having to worry about the back bumper.

Even better, my brother got a Jaguar XF a few months ago, and when you reverse in that, it shows you the view at the back of the car on the screen, recognises if there is a car & kerb, overlays the edges of these and then draws two curved yellow lines with two cross-hair markers - all you have to do is keep the markers on the yellow lines, and your in perfect position!
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I modified my car so all wheels can turn at 90 degree angles. I just pull alongside the space, 90 degree lock, drive sideways into the space, job done.