EE - Now the 'transition' is over...Is Bryan Kikwood making EE better or worse?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Back in October 2010, I started this thread on these forums, asking whether Exec Producer Bryan Kirkwood had made EE better or worse -

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1362305

It turned into quite a big thread, and as you would expect, opinion was divided as to whether BK had improved EE or let it slide.

However, very many forum members said at the time that it was far too early to tell at that point if BK was doing a good job or not. Most of these members agreed that we needed to see EE Xmas 2010 AND a good part of 2011, to judge whether Kirkwood was making EE better or badder.

Well nearly a year later, I think we can safely say that we have got through the 'transition period' of changing from one Exec Producer to another. Bryan Kirkwood has had long enough to enact cast changes and start storylines he wanted in the soap.

So now that EE is well and truly 'his' soap, I pose the question again - Is Bryan Kirkwood making EE better or worse?

What are your views?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Personally, I think it's the worst it's been in years. I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago because it's unbearable right now, the story lines are dull and the acting from some of the characters is terrible, lord knows how they got cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJJOne wrote: »
    Personally, I think it's the worst it's been in years. I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago because it's unbearable right now, the story lines are dull and the acting from some of the characters is terrible, lord knows how they got cast.

Who in particular?
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I have enjoyed more of this year and can't remember the last time I have been excited many a time by a cliffhanger, just waiting for the next episode.
    However on the flip side I don't think I have ever been more frustrated at the pacing and the fact that we keep getting new characters and push the ones we have to the back and not seeing characters for weeks or even months at a time. However, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact I'm part of a forum now, well for this summer I have really used it a lot. Before I was simply watching and then going about my evening, as none of my friends engage in soaps (except at Christmas) so looking at it in a completely different matter for before has brought things to my attention that before I have no outlet or other opinions to agree or disagree with. Is this making any sense?
  • EETILLIDIE11EETILLIDIE11 Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely getting better, recently almost to a point where it's as good as when Santer was Exec Producer. Burkwood is getting better...
    Forum Member
    Bleaney wrote: »
    Who in particular?

Christian, Syed, Afia, Ben, Kat, Norman, Darren. I don't think it's completely down to acting, I think it's a bit of bad scripting too but I just can't connect with the characters.
  • EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the worst it's ever been. He's been nothing short of a disaster.

Practically none of the storylines are exciting or going anywhere without being picked up and dropped for weeks at a time, most of the characters have had personality transplants, the sets look awful, the writing is the most inconsistent it's ever been, good new characters have been dropped without getting much to do, Kat and Alfie are dragging the atmosphere down and the Moon family, bar Michael, have been awful.

They need a new team to work on the show once Kirkwood leaves. The current team are very hit and miss. But on the plus side there are some good new characters appearing, some old characters like Dot have been revitalized and character interaction, which should have been a given all along anyway, is back. But the bad far outweighs the good.
  • Dirty PonyDirty Pony Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I think things are a mess but its slowly getting better.

The writing is below par and the storylines are now told in blocks. This means characters hardly feature unless they have to so we got no normal day to day scenes between the characters anymore. They only speak with each other to move storylines forward. The pacing is also awful so characters disappear for months on end, eg The Masood's while others, Alfie, never seem to be off screen. I also hate how we get a HUGE cliffhanger and then have no follow up for weeks. The most recent example of this is Tanya being told she has cancer and then not appearing at all for two weeks solid.

If that could be fixed the show would have very little problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJJOne wrote: »
    Christian, Syed, Afia, Ben, Kat, Norman, Darren. I don't think it's completely down to acting, I think it's a bit of bad scripting too but I just can't connect with the characters.

To be fair though, Bryan Kirkwood didn't introduce Christian, Syed or Darren, they were there long before he came along...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    darren. lol.
  • cooko94cooko94 Posts: 18,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair though, Bryan Kirkwood didn't introduce Christian, Syed or Darren, they were there long before he came along...

afia wasnt introduced by BK first time aswell (and kat obviously- but she's changed)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooko94 wrote: »
    afia wasnt introduced by BK first time aswell (and kat obviously- but she's changed)

... BK was responsible for bringing Afia and Kat back though...
  • EE at HeartEE at Heart Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I've never been more excited for an EP to leave. Which is odd as I was so excited for BK coming in due to his success at Hollyoaks but I think this has been the problem.. He did so much in those two years at Hollyoaks that it would have been impossible for him to repeat the exact same thing on EE. So for that he was left with little options. All in all he probably shouldn't have been offered the job. He was out of decent ideas. He couldn't repeat Hollyoaks plots without coming under fire for being lazy but he had no more aces to pull. He is worn out and it shows.

Dirty Pony wrote: »
    I think things are a mess but its slowly getting better.

The writing is below par and the storylines are now told in blocks. This means characters hardly feature unless they have to so we got no normal day to day scenes between the characters anymore. They only speak with each other to move storylines forward. The pacing is also awful so characters disappear for months on end, eg The Masood's while others, Alfie, never seem to be off screen. I also hate how we get a HUGE cliffhanger and then have no follow up for weeks. The most recent example of this is Tanya being told she has cancer and then not appearing at all for two weeks solid.

If that could be fixed the show would have very little problems.
    This is a problem too. Everything you have listed shouldn't be happening.
  • cooko94cooko94 Posts: 18,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... BK was responsible for bringing Afia and Kat back though...

Yep :)
  • Dirty PonyDirty Pony Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I've never been more excited for an EP to leave. Which is odd as I was so excited for BK coming in due to his success at Hollyoaks but I think this has been the problem.. He did so much in those two years at Hollyoaks that it would have been impossible for him to repeat the exact same thing on EE. So for that he was left with little options. All in all he probably shouldn't have been offered the job. He was out of decent ideas. He couldn't repeat Hollyoaks plots without coming under fire for being lazy but he had no more aces to pull. He is worn out and it shows.

You know this is probably it. Good point.
  • EE at HeartEE at Heart Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Dirty Pony wrote: »
    You know this is probably it. Good point.

It's exactly it. In theory Bryan Kirkwood has been working as an Executive Producer more or less since 2006. This isn't healthy.

EastEnders is the one suffering for BK's burn out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    It's been unfortunate for BK that he's lost a lot of the strong females. I think the show would be a better place with them in it right now and I think even if Santer was producer the show wouldn't be in a great place. He's made some stupid character decisions and backed characters into corners which I don't think Santer would done, but sometimes he hasn't had a choice like with Ian, and Phil was always going to struggle without Peggy.

I believe BK really knows the Jackson/Branning clan though and they've made for unmissable TV over the past year. This is probably due to the actors performances more than anything though.

The thing with EE this year is that it's either been unmissable (Bianca's exit, Tanya's wedding, affair climax) or painfully dull. There's nothing inbetween.
    Forum Member
    cooko94 wrote: »

To be honest, when I said about the actors I was just talking about the soap in general over the past year or so, not just since BK took over.

If they had some good storylines and the writing was better then it would probably be much better. But, for me, it's just not enjoyable at the minute.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE has been on a whole poor but my problem is not much with the characters and even some of the storyline have been ok, they are just so badly written.

Writing problems are -

Characters personality transplants to suit the story when a story should be written around the character personality.
    Storylines been poorly written, rushed and under researched.
    Storylines have to stay slightly true to real life.
    EE never do many stories that are just every day issues, like childcare, money worries/debt, depression on a normal stage, minor relationship problems etc etc. No one in soap ever talks about benefits when they're out of work, They have a gararge but no recently takes their car for a service/MOT/breakdown.
    When a main storyline is centre stage they need to have decent filler stories going on the background, these days it's all or nothing.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    I'm getting sick of these threads.
  • Adrian gracieAdrian gracie Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been unfortunate for BK that he's lost a lot of the strong females. I think the show would be a better place with them in it right now and I think even if Santer was producer the show wouldn't be in a great place. He's made some stupid character decisions and backed characters into corners which I don't think Santer would done, but sometimes he hasn't had a choice like with Ian, and Phil was always going to struggle without Peggy.
    Ppl like to harp about that but look at the writing for the strong females the show still have? Kat, who is suppose to be his muse isnt exactly getting the best characterisation is she.Look at the writing for shirley? this was once a independent confident woman that could turn men to stone just by staring.Now shes been reduced to a door mat.Denise is another, are u going to tell me the lady we have followed since 06 is the same lady that threw herself at yusef so easily? she basically all but said she was in love with him.That has never been denise at all. Having bianca, stacey or peggy on the show wouldnt have made a damn bit of difference
    It's definitely getting better, recently almost to a point where it's as good as when Santer was Exec Producer. Burkwood is getting better...
    Did you proof read that before you sent it? Santer would dial down the day to day episodes.But when a storyline was reaching its climax we would get high quality drama.

With Kirkwood day to day episodes are between putrid, average or above average.And the same applies to his big stories. In fact its often difficult to tell when kirkwood's stories are culminating because they feel no way different than normal episodes.The same tactic is used for characters exits.Santer would make an effort to make them interesting no matter how naff the character.Kirkwood gives even the big characters duds for exits.You say kirkwood reminds you of santer? I ask you when was the last time the show or a storyline felt unmissable? I'm guessing you might say baby swap.Personally, I'd say bianca's exit..
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worse
  • ghettoBLASTER!ghettoBLASTER! Posts: 5,220
    Forum Member
    EastEnders has lost something. I think its familarity. The whole programme seems to have changed its direction. I hate this notion of storylines starting then going on the back burner for months and months so you lose interest. The Masood storyline is no further forward than it was in March/April for example. The writing for the characters has never been as bad as it is now. I can't ever recall it being this bad. People like to bring in 2004 but 2004 still had writers who had been on the show since the 80s and 90s so the writing was never the problem during that era. Now we have so many new writers and none of them seem to understand the show at all. Is EastEnders now a testing ground for new talent or something?

Many of new characters also leave alot to be desired however I can take the likes of Tyler and Lola. Its the likes of Ben I really cannot stand and think what has taken place there is an insult to all long term viewers.

There are some things that are good however. I love the Rose, Cora and Dot dynamic. Yusef and Michael are good characters. Sadly though the bad is so bad you can't really see anything else.

Like I said in the EE Episode topic. I just want the EE I love back. Not this show I can't relate to anymore.

I also think the user above makes an excellent point. Bryan Kirkwood has more or less been working as a top producer since he took over Hollyoaks in 2006. He hasn't had long enough to recharge so is completely worn out of ideas. EastEnders is really feeling it as a result.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders has lost something. I think its familarity. The whole programme seems to have changed its direction. I hate this notion of storylines starting then going on the back burner for months and months so you lose interest. The Masood storyline is no further forward than it was in March/April for example. The writing for the characters has never been as bad as it is now. I can't ever recall it being this bad. People like to bring in 2004 but 2004 still had writers who had been on the show since the 80s and 90s so the writing was never the problem during that era. Now we have so many new writers and none of them seem to understand the show at all. Is EastEnders now a testing ground for new talent or something?

Many of new characters also leave alot to be desired however I can take the likes of Tyler and Lola. Its the likes of Ben I really cannot stand and think what has taken place there is an insult to all long term viewers.

There are some things that are good however. I love the Rose, Cora and Dot dynamic. Yusef and Michael are good characters. Sadly though the bad is so bad you can't really see anything else.

Like I said in the EE Episode topic. I just want the EE I love back. Not this show I can't relate to anymore.

I also think the user above makes an excellent point. Bryan Kirkwood has more or less been working as a top producer since he took over Hollyoaks in 2006. He hasn't had long enough to recharge so is completely worn out of ideas. EastEnders is really feeling it as a result.
    I think you are overestimating the role of an executive producer.I honestly dont think it is kirkwood's job to create or tweak s/ls. He is just in charge of hiring and firing production/talent..The mistakes hes made is hiring the likes of kathleen beedles to be story producer.

Being head EP since 06 should make him privy to the best the industry has to offer.Not excuse him for bein such a lousy judge of talent..
  • ghettoBLASTER!ghettoBLASTER! Posts: 5,220
    Forum Member
    I think you are overestimating the role of an executive producer.I honestly dont think it is kirkwood's job to create or tweak s/ls. He is just in charge of hiring and firing production/talent..

Kirkwood has the final say on all storylines. He doesn't just hire or fire people. The role of Exec is being highly active in all aspects of the shows production, from storylines to filming. Kirkwood even has several TV's in his office so he can watch filming taking place live from there and decide if he is liking what he is seeing or not.

Its Carolyn Weinstein who is the company manager of EE who does most of the hiring of staff anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirkwood has the final say on all storylines. He doesn't just hire or fire people. The role of Exec is being highly active in all aspects of the shows production, from storylines to filming. Kirkwood even has several TV's in his office so he can watch filming taking place live from there and decide if he is liking what he see's or not.

Its Carolyn Weinstein who is the company manager of EE who does most of the hiring of staff anyway.
    You really think if hes not happy with scenes hes going to get out from his chair, go to the set and tell the director how to do his job? I dont think so..He hires the ppl that are the bosses of the production crew, from that point on he has to trust their judgement.If he truly micromanages as u described isnt that a tell tale sign that he has no faith in his own team?