Options

Hipster pop ?? dominating the singles chart

Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hipster pop - possibly a new name emerging from 'part of' the dubiuosly named / often confussing Indie Pop tag / genre? / grouping of artists
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101431254
http://www.npr.org/2011/11/16/142387490/the-hipsterfication-of-america

Possible genre origins
Indie pop - WTF that really means nobody really knows ;)
Nu rave / indietronica / Wonky pop (defunct) / witch house (defunct) / folktronica - La Roux, Little Boots, !!!, Klaxons, MGMT, LCD Soundsystem, Panic at the Disco, Frankmusic, Alphabeat / Grimes, Purity Ring etc
Hipster hop http://www.thefourohfive.com/news/article/the-rise-of-hipster-hop https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_hop - M.I.A., Kanye West, Azealia Banks.
Other earlier genres that have influenced hipster pop :-
Early hip hop
Synth pop / New wave / post-punk - Kate Bush, a Flock of Seagulls, OMD, Soft Cell etc
College rock (indie radio format) - Peter Gabriel, REM, The Cure, The Smiths etc
Britpop / post-Britpop - The La's, James etc / Travis, Coldplay etc
Modern Rock (radio format) - Yeah yeah yeahs, Arctic Monkeys etc.
Adult Alternative / Trip hop - St Vincent, Beck, Tori Amos / Bjork, Gorillaz, Hooverphonic, Stereolab etc
Record Labels
Neon Gold(now a subsidary of Atlantic), 679 [Warner (Atlantic) - started by former XL employee Nick Worthington], XL /4AD etc.- Beggars Group, most hipster pop artists signed to a Major label (or sub label).

Indie Rock seems to be a genre that has been cast aside to the past as well by the BPI.The mass of artists grouped under Indie are now grouped under Contempory Rock - which is almost as confussing as the Indie tag itself.

Yes you may dismiss this tag but isn't 'Twee pop' used commonly these days for a certain number of, so called, Indie pop artists.When it started out as an effectionate insult

Jay-Z seems to support the Hipster-hop side of this, although may not support the name of course http://theboombox.com/jay-z-wants-hip-hop-to-be-more-like-indie-rock/

If you don't like the tag Hipster pop, to this grouping of similar sounding artists, who are disconnected from the originally called Indie, what you call it yourself, otherwise ????

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hipster pop cont.
    Foster the People, Fun, Owl City, Friendly Fires, Vampire Weekend, Mystery Jets, Passion Pit, Foals(post Holy Fire album), Disclosure, Gotye, Lana Del Rey, Lady Gaga (early on), Arcade Fire (post The Suburbs, definately post Reflektor), Of Monsters of Men, Imagine Dragons, Phoenix, Delphic, M83, Hot Chip, Florence & the Machine, Lorde, Foxes http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/foxes-plays-institute-library-birmingham-6539461 ,Lykki Li, Marina & the Diamonds, Chvrches, HAIM, London Grammar, AWOLNation, The 1975.
    Guilty pleasures? - Sam Smith, John Newman, Banks, Katy Perry, Lily Allen, Robbie Williams(early solo)
    NME groups https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NME%27s_Cool_List
    BBC 6 Music's Greatest Hits
    http://open.spotify.com/user/bbcnowplaying6music/playlist/77NF6x0LO78meAEtSGUzuc
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    "Hipsters always like what isn't popular" they also change their music favourites like daily so I don't think these out of touch websites should even try and define their music.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read this through several times and I have still no idea what your point is.

Also, I would hardly say dominating as alot of the bands you mention have only had one hit.

Finally most of those bands sound nothing alike and are you really classing Katy Perry as indie?????????
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of what the OP calls "hipster pop" is now the core of London "alternative" radio station Xfm's playlist. I think the term "anthem pop" might be closer the mark; it's all songs with big singalong choruses, often played on acoustic instruments like mandolins and banjoes, and inspired/influenced/directly copying the Arcade Fire model of folky singing in a rock setting. Hipsters, meanwhile, are probably ignoring this drivel in favour of nodding sagely to the latest Nick Waterhouse and Allah-las albums.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    inspired/influenced/directly copying the Arcade Fire model of folky singing in a rock setting.

Yeah...they're good but they weren't the first ;-)
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »

The US hipsters seem to be deserting the hey-folk bands, probably because the Lumineers got too popular with non-hipster. It's a shame when sounds get overplayed as there are some good bands that get lumped in with weaker ones / self-promoters. Although if they remove the hand claps and 'heys' and quieten down the banjo or tambourine then they could pass for alternative acts.
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read this through several times and I have still no idea what your point is.

Also, I would hardly say dominating as alot of the bands you mention have only had one hit.

Finally most of those bands sound nothing alike and are you really classing Katy Perry as indie?????????

Katy Perry is under 'Guilty pleasures'. I'm not sure she's replaced Girls Aloud in the nation's hipsters' hearts due to her shouting, but her songs are so catchy. Maybe Rihanna?
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »

Also The Arcade Fire have nothing to do with folk...
    The US hipsters seem to be deserting the hey-folk bands, probably because the Lumineers got too popular with non-hipster. It's a shame when sounds get overplayed as there are some good bands that get lumped in with weaker ones / self-promoters. Although if they remove the hand claps and 'heys' and quieten down the banjo or tambourine then they could pass for alternative acts.

I see your words and the way you've structured them together to form sentences - yet none of it makes sense.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also The Arcade Fire have nothing to do with folk...

I didn't say they were a folk band, but that they influenced the current crop of bands who use a similar style of singing, write songs with big anthemic choruses, and play acoustic instruments. I can't think of another recent hipster band that has had a greater influence on the "mainstream indie" bands that are currently successful.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am thoroughly confused by this thread.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am thoroughly confused by this thread.

The word or term 'hipster' is one of them stupid words of the moment - that's why you end up with dumb threads like this.

According to some of the shit written in this thread the most 'hipster' band appear to be The Byrds .
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    The word or term 'hipster' is one of them stupid words of the moment - that's why you end up with dumb threads like this.

According to some of the shit written in this thread the most 'hipster' band appear to be The Byrds .

I quite like The Byrds :blush:

I'm just not sure I understand the logic of the OP or its point. I'm still searching for that.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hipster has become an the most stupidly ridiculous abused internet term going. Its meaning seems to change every week. One week Hipster is a derogatory term for people who fake their interest in cool music, now its what we call Indie(?), next week it will be something else!?!? I wish they'd make their mind up!

Sorry if this is me being a hopeless Lana Del Rey fanboy as per usual, but I liked how she quoted Allan Ginsberg's famous poem Howl in her last video Tropico, which contains that lovely that line she purrs "Angel Headed Hipsters." At least she understood where all these internet "hipsters" are probably nicking the term from.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is this I don't even. :confused:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can't we just like music for being good music and not try to pigeonhole it into a "witty" name?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Following a meeting with the music industry chaired by U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron, the U.K. government is teaming up with music industry magnates to launch a British music export scheme."

Jesus wept.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I thought (in original terms) a hipster sorta always thought they were a step ahead and wouldn't listen to music that the 'sheep' would listen to. So in a way I don't think you could have a 'hipster' genre cus surely they'd keep changing their music tastes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about being so facetious :D

But there definately seems to be a recognision by the music media in general, that there has been a big shift in the 'so called' indie area of music.It is at least significant that the BPI no longer categorises Indie Rock in it's Brit Awards.This area of music has definately seen a shift towards appealing to a wider audience.The more commercially successful going for a more 'Arena Rock' type of sound.The newer bands generally who are being promoted in some shape or form under the Major Label umbrella - most Indie groups (most music groups) these days sign a publishing deal (at least) with a subdivision of a Major Label - seem to be going for a more 'pop' oriented sound i.e. Hipster pop :p.Think the BPI now have come to their senses & have recognised the fact that there are only a tiny minority of 'so called' Indie bands that can really justify the use of the tag, they have decided to ditch it as a categorisation - that is a significant at least.

Many of you above have mentioned that you music should not categories or put into genres.How many of you who say that - on first instinct - listen to music put under the 'Indie' classification.It definately seems to draw people into a certain direction, when the demarcification lines between the pop end of indie & pop itself have become very blurred indead.In this way it has become a 'marketing' term alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hipsters always like what isn't popular" they also change their music favourites like daily so I don't think these out of touch websites should even try and define their music.

But hipsters don't recognise the term hipster as cultural classification :p.If they themselves don't recognise themselves having a cultural existance, how can you say they 'all' change their tastes all the time.Perhaps, as the second link outlines, there are is a new generation of 'hipster' (whatever you want to call them) that has been drawn towards a more pop based sound.Try to explain the amount of pop based 'so called indie' groups that are increasing getting into the charts these days.The dubiuosly named 'indie pop' groups seem to be more common these days.Perhaps this newer generation of hipster won't change the favourites every day - that is a partial myth anyway.Many say that hipsters are so common in the under 35 demographic that they are part of pop culture now anyway.Perhaps 10 / 20 years ago this wasn't so when Indie / hipster culture was more of a niche & have more claim of being indepentent of the mainstream.Times/culture meanings change as new generations come along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a universal translator to translate whatever the **** Scratchy7929 has typed into something that makes any sort of sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Does anyone have a universal translator to translate whatever the **** Scratchy7929 has typed into something that makes any sort of sense.

Just look at this chart below.Can't remember when so many 'so called' indie artists in there for a long time.

I am trying hard to make sense of this indie / hipster thing that is going on myself :confused::D If Jay-Z wants to tie in with it though - you know something is going on.I know Hip-Hop has been on the decline, but........

http://www.officialcharts.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just look at this chart below.Can't remember when so many 'so called' indie artists in there for a long time.

I am trying hard to make sense of this indie / hipster thing that is going on myself :confused::D If Jay-Z wants to tie in with it though - you know something is going on.I know Hip-Hop has been on the decline, but........

http://www.officialcharts.com/

Well I don't really have a clue what the hell your talking about when you throw words like indie and hipster about, but I did look at that chart - got as far as the top 50 anyway and saw maybe 3 acts that some people might call indie.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the word Hipster the new 'thing'.

Get everything that has gone before and retrofit it to the word 'hipster'.

Sounds like a word some music journalist has come up with to make out that they have created some brand new thing.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't they all what Noel Gallagher called 'Bed wetting music'?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    Aren't they all what Noel Gallagher called 'Bed wetting music'?

Wasn't that former Creation Records boss Alan McGee re Coldplay?

Noel's now all chummy with Chris Martin.