Could this weekend be the last time we alter our clocks.

exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
Forum Member
.. because if Scotland gets its independence come September there wouldn't be the need to do it again.

The only reason it's still being done today is for the benefit of Scottish farmers, apparently.

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. because if Scotland gets its independence come September there wouldn't be a need to alter them again.

The only reason it's still being done today is for the benefit of Scottish farmers, apparently.

Doubt it... its used by practically every country in Europe so we'd be out of step of the rest of the EU. We'd be the usual one hour difference for part of the year, then 2 hours for the second part. Businesses would likely resist such a move.

But if its being done for the benefit of the Scots then why do Spain and other southern Europe countries also have DST?
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not dobe just for the benefit of the Scottish farmers.

GMT is the natural timezone for the UK. If UK went CET even London would often be too dark or too light at the wrong time at certain times of the year.

It's only really a few suits working at the stock exchange in London who are trying to dictate what time it should be, and could not care less if moving to CET and CET+1 puts the vast majority of the uk's safety at risk as long as their share prices are soaring to higher values than ever before.

The vast majority of England both in terms of area and in terms of population (to account for bigger population in south east England than the rest of the uk put together) don't want times to change to become CET and CET+1
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we do it in the spring, we have to do it in the fall to get back to where the clocks are meant to be, ie. spring 'forward' & fall 'back'. I would be in favor of abolishing it altogether, with modern farming methods we don't really need it anymore.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't, it also affects the north & SW of England. It's also little to do with farmers
  • this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well for a start, Scotland won't get independence In September. Even if it votes Yes, it'll take a while to actually become independent. It won't happen overnight.

So the answer to your question is no.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this_is_me wrote: »
    Well for a start, Scotland won't get independence In September. Even if it votes Yes, it'll take a while to actually become independent. It won't happen overnight.

So the answer to your question is no.

Plus wouldn't it be more awkward to have two timezones on one landmass just to keep up with a few people over the sea.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. because if Scotland gets its independence come September there wouldn't be the need to do it again.

Nonsense, nonsense and more nonsense. As a poster above says we need to change the clocks otherwise even in London the sun would not rise until 9:00am in the depths of winter. Also, even if we did move our clocks forward an hour we'd still have to change them twice a year just like they do on the continent sending us even further out of our correct timezone. And please tell me what GMT stands for?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    No it isn't, it also affects the north & SW of England. It's also little to do with farmers

It affects the whole of the UK.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    And please tell me what GMT stands for?

Glasgow Mean Time? :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Glasgow Mean Time? :D:D:D

Lol. Seriously can you imagine a country the size of ours with two timezones. It would be horrific.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the other day that Spain is considering moving from CET to GMT (and so be the same as the UK and Portugal) as this is their natural timezone. They only changed to CET because General Franco wanted to put Spain in the same timezone as [Nazi] Germany.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    I read the other day that Spain is considering moving from CET to GMT (and so be the same as the UK and Portugal) as this is their natural timezone. They only changed to CET because General Franco wanted to put Spain in the same timezone as [Nazi] Germany.

Indeed, it could also be argued that France should be in our timezone too.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member

If time zones strictly followed longitude, I think France and Benelux would all be in the UK's time zone too.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have read there are some in Spain who would like to revert back to GMT, although that could just be the ex-pats! :D
    Indeed, it could also be argued that France should be in our timezone too.

The French would probably argue we should be in the same timezone as them.... ;)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,841
    Forum Member
    It's fairly unlikely Scotland will get independence, but even if they do I doubt it will change anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did somewhere do a trial run of not changing the clocks back (or forward) once and everyone hated the idea so much they scraped the idea?

...or did I just dream that up?

I think we'd keep the changing of the clocks, more out of tradition than anything else. It's not so much of a chore for most people as it used to be since most devices change automatically.
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the trial run happened during the late sixties. If I recall correctly the number of road accidents went up alarmingly and there was a lot of concern about children going to school in the dark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fairly unlikely Scotland will get independence, but even if they do I doubt it will change anything.

Agreed. It will be propostorus to have two timezones in a country our size.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems idiotic that we still put our clocks back in the autumn to comply with an idea devised during the Second World War. We have things called street lights these days.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have read there are some in Spain who would like to revert back to GMT, although that could just be the ex-pats! :D
    The Spanish Parliament has recently debated it and is seriously considering moving the country to UTC (the international name for GMT) for a few years to see how it works out. The only reason they are on CET now is because Franco moved the clocks forward an hour to be on the same time as Berlin and Rome, so this would be a move BACK to the timezone they always used before the Civil War.

The Canary Islands are already on the same timezone as us, so one added benefit is that all of Spain would then be on the same clock, and also they would then line up with neighbouring Portugal.

I think it's a really good idea.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    The French would probably argue we should be in the same timezone as them.... ;)

Grenouille Mean Time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    I think the trial run happened during the late sixties. If I recall correctly the number of road accidents went up alarmingly and there was a lot of concern about children going to school in the dark.

Ahh, so I didn't imgaine it:D.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would make more sense to have permanent BST so we all get lighter nights when we can most take advantage of them. What's the point in having a lighter morning when most people would be at work anyway.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    The Spanish Parliament has recently debated it and is seriously considering moving the country to UTC (the international name for GMT) for a few years to see how it works out. The only reason they are on CET now is because Franco moved the clocks forward an hour to be on the same time as Berlin and Rome, so this would be a move BACK to the timezone they always used before the Civil War.

The Canary Islands are already on the same timezone as us, so one added benefit is that all of Spain would then be on the same clock, and also they would then line up with neighbouring Portugal.

I think it's a really good idea.

Yep, and I felt a plank on my first visit to the Canaries, setting my watch forward an hour as I just assumed they'd be an hour ahead.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Agreed. It will be propostorus to have two timezones in a country our size.

It wouldn't be two timezones in one country if they do get independence!