Nigel Farage ,who are you ?

2»

Comments

• Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    How about getting your facts right . He's NOT ant-Europe .

In reply to Clegg:

"This debate is between a tired status quo defending a crumbling EU that frankly isn't working any more, and a fresh approach that says let's be friendly with Europe, let's trade with Europe, but let's not be governed by their institutions."

Which of course is what the populace thought it was was voting for way back when we were joining the Common Market - a trojan horse gifted to the nation by Heath and cronies.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    Hang on a minute you have that all wrong. NF said in the program and in many articles that he really likes EUROPE (people, cultures, geography) a lot but he dislikes the EU (Political organisation).
    The two are very different things.

Fans of the EU like to equate the EU with 'Europe' - they often talk as if the Eurovision Song Contest is somehow an EU event! It is quite common for them to try to claim someone who dislikes the EU is anti-Europe.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NF said in the program and in many articles that he really likes EUROPE (people, cultures, geography) a lot but he dislikes the EU (Political organisation).
    The two are very different things.

He's pro-hypocrisy, that's for sure!

He may not be anti-Europe by marrying a German woman but he spends most of his working life being 'anti-European government' but is happy to take a large salary for being an MEP. With hypocrisy like that it's no surprise he married a German!

His hypocrisy is breathtaking! He makes Nick Clegg's u-turn on tuition fees look almost mild by comparison. :D
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    Could have been even worse....I give you the horror that is Diane Abbott!

The Ugandan refugee said last week she thought football should be banned.

She claims to be liberal. :D
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly entertaining programme. Michael Cockerell`s influence was pleasingly evident.

Nice of Channel 4 to give Farage an hour long ad!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed the programme, liked what I saw of Nigel Farage. And especially after watching the Euro Debates with Nick pathetic Clegg, I'm definitely UKIP all the way.
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bad enough these imbeciles in Europe making decisions for us , but it is us that is paying for it all .There are only TWO main net contributors to the EU , us and Germany , nearly all just take money out and one or two pay in more but not enough to make any difference . I am unsure about pulling out of Europe , but when I see what goes on in those buildings in Brussels and Strasbourg and actually start to look at what they do , unaudited accounts for 13 years , it does make me wonder that we would be better off with out them .

Important word in the statement you make is "main" as there are other net contributors in Europe (mainly in the western half), and per head of population they're not that out of line with either us or Germany. Talk of how much we contribute shouldn't be overestimated, our net contribution is in the order of £90 per year per head of population (not trying to be controversial with that figure - and you can argue that's either well spent or a total waste).

Personally I am pro European and don't feel that Clegg put up a great show tonight. Just like the Scotland in - out question the debates and talk seem to be verging on both sides trying to pretend they have facts that support Scotland being financially much better of in or out of the UK, and the UK being much better off in or out of Europe. In truth it won't make a huge amount of difference to lives either way - and any differences it will make are extremely complex and hard to work out what the exact impact will be.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattw wrote: »
    Important word in the statement you make is "main" as there are other net contributors in Europe (mainly in the western half), and per head of population they're not that out of line with either us or Germany. Talk of how much we contribute shouldn't be overestimated, our net contribution is in the order of £90 per year per head of population (not trying to be controversial with that figure - and you can argue that's either well spent or a total waste).

Personally I am pro European and don't feel that Clegg put up a great show tonight. Just like the Scotland in - out question the debates and talk seem to be verging on both sides trying to pretend they have facts that support Scotland being financially much better of in or out of the UK, and the UK being much better off in or out of Europe. In truth it won't make a huge amount of difference to lives either way - and any differences it will make are extremely complex and hard to work out what the exact impact will be.

I'm always curious as to what this means. Europe is a geographical continent - how can one be "pro" that? It's just a fact. It seems very much like saying "I am very much for the existence of North America".
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I'm always curious as to what this means. Europe is a geographical continent - how can one be "pro" that? It's just a fact. It seems very much like saying "I am very much for the existence of North America".

That is a very good point indeed, and a big slip up on my part ;-)
    And every bit as vague an idea as being pro London, pro UK or pro Welsh indeed.

I should clarify I meant pro EU (albeit not entirely happy with the current set up of the EU, in particular not that happy with the undemocratic EU commission in the same way I don't like the undemocratic House of Lords).
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattw wrote: »
    That is a very good point indeed, and a big slip up on my part ;-)
    And every bit as vague an idea as being pro London, pro UK or pro Welsh indeed.

I should clarify I meant pro EU (albeit not entirely happy with the current set up of the EU, in particular not that happy with the undemocratic EU commission in the same way I don't like the undemocratic House of Lords).

I don't view it as a slip up at all. :) It's a very common phrase. Farage said it in last week's debate - I just couldn't work out what it actually meant.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »

I take it to mean this present set up of European countries which is like being members of a club .

My main problem with the present set up, is this unelected bunch in Brussels making laws telling us what to do in this country .
    When did it stop been a trading club to a governing club ? This should never have been allowed . Why can't they go back to the days of just a Common Market ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Nigel Farage....initials NF....hmmm!:eek::D