Options

Would you buy your little boy a princess costume?

mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A facebook friend of mine has just posted a photo of her little boy (he's around 2 or 3) in a Snow White princess costume, at first I was taken aback but it has a lot of "likes" and I know she's a very "earthy" mother, her approach to parenting is very natural and loving, and one of her boys favorite toys is his dolly.

It got me thinking as I'm currently pregnant with a boy, and although I wouldn't mind so much if he wanted a doll, I'd probably cross the line at buying him a princess costume, which makes me feel bad for stereotyping.

As a child, I was very much a tom boy, I used to wear boys clothes and I remember wanting an army toy for Christmas and my mum telling me it was "a boys toy" and I couldn't have it.

I've been doing a little research as I was curious how common this is and I found a Youtube video, it was a hidden camera experiment set in a costume shop, and they had a mother and her son arguing in the shop because he wanted the Belle (from Beauty and the beast) costume, and his "mum" was trying to get him to choose clothes from the boys department.
Other shoppers were getting involved, trying to persuade him to try on Spiderman and Army costumes, and telling the mum that there's no way they would buy their boys girls costumes.
They also did a role reversal, where a girl wanted to be Spiderman and the "mum" was trying to get her to try princess costumes.
Again, other shoppers got involved, telling the girl she would look so much prettier in a dress and that the costumes she wanted were for boys.

I just wondering what everyone elses take on this is. Have you been in that situation, what did you do? Or what would you do?

Comments

• Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I'd say, although I don't have children, that a child is sexless, so if he wants a a princess dress or she want's a rambo outfit, I'd be far more against the rambo outfit.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honest answer - and I'll probably be shot down for this- but no, I wouldn't. If one of my sons had dressed in one in nursery I would have thought it cute (in fact they may have done and I wasn't told) but I wouldn't buy one.

*gets popcorn*
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I'm cool with the idea provided it's not plastered all over Facebook. When I were a lad our street had only girls my age before I went to school. F--k knows what I did but I bet there are pictures of me playing with dollies and doing a Stewie.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he wanted one then yes I would, I've bought him Barbies in the past as he asked for them and a costume is just that - a costume. He can dress up as whatever he wants to dress up as and if I'm spending money on something then I want it to be something he will make use of and that will make him happy, regardless of whether other people have assigned it as for girls.

I can't remember the last time I bought my daughter something from the girl's section (I hate that most kid's shops are divided into boys & girls sections) as she is much more interested in the things that people try and tell her are just for boys.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not this again...

My answer is yes, but only if he really wanted one.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I only clicked on this thread because there was a story in the mirror the other day about a couple raising their boy as a girl and I thought this was a similar topic.

I didn't read that story so not sure if it was the child's choice or not.

I guess if the child is doing what they want then it's better than the parents using them as a social experiment like that father who was raising his son speaking English and Klingon in equal measures.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I wouldn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    If they wanted it, then sure I would buy it for them.

I'm not sure I would buy a son in a dress before they were old enough to chose to wear it.
  • Options
    jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, no, no
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Honest answer - and I'll probably be shot down for this- but no, I wouldn't. If one of my sons had dressed in one in nursery I would have thought it cute (in fact they may have done and I wasn't told) but I wouldn't buy one.

I would not if my lad was that age either.
    He did play dress up with his sisters at times when young, so I am sure female clothes would have been put on then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, it's just make believe, part of being a kid.

My middle daughter is super hero mad and has Spider-Man and Batman costumes, she's getting an Ironman costume for her Easter, don't see the problem with it.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I would want my son or daughter to fit fashion stereotypes. I love seeing little boys in traditional little boys' clothes, and little girls in traditional little girls' clothes. When old enough to buy their own clothes, I would let them choose then.
  • Options
    LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    I would have no qualms about this at all. Our society is far too uptight about gender roles.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Of course I don't see why not
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have no qualms about this at all. Our society is far too uptight about gender roles.
    My best pal has a gorgeous nine year old son (love him to bits) who I sometimes buy outfits for for birthdays/Christmas. One time I bought him a spiderman outfit, another time an Incredible Hulk outfit. If I had bought him fairy princess outfits like the ones I bought his sisters, he would, quite frankly, look ridiculous. And that's not me being 'uptight' - that's me telling the truth.

Gender-specific clothing has existed cross-culturally (including the West) for hundreds of years. So whether we like it or not, most people are just used to it, and these traditional customs cannot be undone overnight.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I bloody wouldn't. If that shit continues then the poor kid will need quite some counselling further down the line, that's assuming he isn't serving time inside for serial murder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, no, no
    Why not?

What do you think would happen if you did?
  • Options
    jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Why not?

What do you think would happen if you did?

It is just plain wrong.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypothetically/in the future - No chance, why the hell would I dress my son in a princess outfit?

Is this a trick question?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is just plain wrong.
    Why, what do you think would happen if you bought him one because he wanted one?
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i wouldn't.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Of course I bloody wouldn't. If that shit continues then the poor kid will need quite some counselling furter down the line, that's assuming he isn't serving time inside for serial murder.

Judging by that reaction I wouldn't be surprised if a child of yours needed counselling somewhere along the line.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypothetically/in the future - No chance, why the hell would I dress my son in a princess outfit?

Is this a trick question?

Don't you know, it's the 'right-on' thing to do these days because, according to the liberals, distinctions between males and females must be eliminated in order to 'liberate' children from the unnecessary stereotypes about what it means to be male or female.

Or some other new-age happy clapping rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I would have to actually say no. I would encourage my kids to dress up and play with toys designed for their sex not because I would be ashamed but I know how cruel kids and adults can be and I wouldn't want to subject my kids to that.
  • Options
    Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No flippin' way, He would get boy toys and we would play football.
    A fairy princess outfit....wtf Child abuse!!!