AC/DC on verge of retiring?

soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Reports are coming out that AC/DC are about to retire officially but reasons why are still being discussed although Malcolm Young has returned to Australia with his family amid reports he is very ill and unable to play any more. Will be a sad day if it is confirmed as true and they do retire :(

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/acdc-to-split-report-20140415-36oc1.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Are all the greatest bands in the world fading away??
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it :( We'll just end up with manufactured "pop" bands
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised they lasted this long TBH
    Shaking your head like that for 40 years can't be good for you
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACDC have neither confirmed nor denied these reports. Pure speculation. Sad day if this is the state of journalism.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACDC insiders have denied the rumours

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/acdc-deny-retirement-rumors/

Thank ****
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manufacturers of school uniforms will go into mourning........
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like it :( We'll just end up with manufactured "pop" bands

Maybe the storyline of Queens Musical We Will Rock You is not as daft as it sounds :(
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess they are inevitably going to retire at some point.

Brian johnson has said they intend to do another album, they are booked in to a studio in Vancover for six weeks starting 1st May, and there are said to be plans to celebrate their 40th Anniversary by doing 40 gigs in 40 Cities, I guess all that is now very much dependant on Malcolm's reported ill health, assuming that is true of course.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    If they do retire, I can retire happy too.

I first saw them at Wembley Arena in 1987. They are one of the bands we pretty much always booked tickets for, when they toured.
    I last saw them at the London O2 on their Black Ice tour.
    I've seen them at Castle Donington too. I think I've seen them 6 or 7 times now.

My mate trumps me though, when he got tickets to a video shoot at the Brixton Academy. They also did a show where the audience would shout out songs and they'd play them! No set list, purely requests!
    Forum Member
    I guess they are inevitably going to retire at some point.

Brian johnson has said they intend to do another album, they are booked in to a studio in Vancover for six weeks starting 1st May, and there are said to be plans to celebrate their 40th Anniversary by doing 40 gigs in 40 Cities, I guess all that is now very much dependant on Malcolm's reported ill health, assuming that is true of course.

Malcolm's been ill before. His brother Stevie has stood in for him on tour before.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a big heavy metal fan in the earlier days. I didn't realise they were still going. It will be sad for there fan base.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Malcolm's been ill before. His brother Stevie has stood in for him on tour before.

An update in today's Daily Telegraph: AC/DC: We are not retiring

Apparantly the band have made a pact that if one has to stop, for whatever reason, the rest of them will stop. No one would be replaced.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes that was when Malcolm was recovering from alcoholism. I think this is slightly different circumstances sadly.

Though I believe what Brian Johnson says that they will not be splitting up. He does sadly confirm that one of the guys is ill.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An update in today's Daily Telegraph: AC/DC: We are not retiring

Apparantly the band have made a pact that if one has to stop, for whatever reason, the rest of them will stop. No one would be replaced.
    But then that would be retiring though wouldn't it lol
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has a whiff of Jeff Hanneman about this story.

Not a huge ac/c fan, done some good songs. I never realised Malcolm was the main one I always assumed it was angus
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    A short statement on their Facebook page

After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.

https://www.facebook.com/acdc?fref=ts
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    Get well soon Malcolm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Has a whiff of Jeff Hanneman about this story.

Not a huge ac/c fan, done some good songs. I never realised Malcolm was the main one I always assumed it was angus

It was always Malcolm and Angus' band in that order.

Malcolm has always been the driving force behind the band. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But then that would be retiring though wouldn't it lol

No, because whilst they might well make another album it puts in question whether they will ever tour again.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    No, because whilst they might well make another album it puts in question whether they will ever tour again.

Malcolm's nephew has stood in for his uncle in the past; apparently fans failed to notice the difference! So they could carry on live.
    Forum Member
    Malcolm's nephew has stood in for his uncle in the past; apparently fans failed to notice the difference! So they could carry on live.

To be blunt, an AC/DC live show IS Brian and Angus.
    Phil the drummer can hardly charge around the stage.
    Malcolm and Cliff stand either side of the drums, take 4 steps forward to sing their backing vocals, then take 4 steps back.

I remember a quote from Malcolm, when asked why he doesn't play solos. He replied "it interferes with my drinking".
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be blunt, an AC/DC live show IS Brian and Angus.
    Phil the drummer can hardly charge around the stage.
    Malcolm and Cliff stand either side of the drums, take 4 steps forward to sing their backing vocals, then take 4 steps back.

I remember a quote from Malcolm, when asked why he doesn't play solos. He replied "it interferes with my drinking".

Nonsense...Malcolm is very important to the overall sound as are the other two.

You'd notice the difference if he wasn't there
    Forum Member
    RikScot wrote: »
    Nonsense...Malcolm is very important to the overall sound as are the other two.

You'd notice the difference if he wasn't there

I've seen then when he wasn't there.
    I've also seen them with Simon Wright and Chris Slade on drums.

I'm referring to the on stage action. You focus on Brian and Angus.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair enough,,,but it wouldn't be the same without him. I saw Cheap Trick a few years back, brilliant new drummer but it wasn't the fella I wanted to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They could but according to Brian Johnson the pact they have made about not carrying on playing live if one of them in unable to would suggest that wouldn't happen this time.

However without Malcolm, Cliff, and Phil there wouldn't be a Brian or Angus to watch, they are very much an integral part of the band.

And if you look at their popularity it noticeably dips between the time Phil left in 1983 and returned in 1994.