Options

People's thoughts on Big Brother: Celeb Hijack

2»

Comments

• Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Hijack is one of my favourite series despite having one of the worst winners ever.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    "Just 640,000 viewers tuned into last
    night's (final) show after it failed to attract a loyal following.
    Loughton fought hard to win what
    he thought would be his ticket to
    stardom, blissfully unaware interest
    in the show had plummeted to a
    new low."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-510983/Big-Brother-Celebrity-Hijack-winner-emerges-discover-nobodys-heard-him.html

Sheesh, that's got to be one of the most cynical and miserable articles I've ever read.

Ticket to stardom? Were they actually watching the show?
    The show may have brought them further exposure in their chosen career paths, but that description makes them sound like the usual desperate tabloid wannabes.
    While previous winners have enjoyed a string of lucrative media offers and VIP lifestyle after leaving the house, there's little chance Loughton will be afforded such luxuries.

lol since when? Yeah like one or two housemates get this if they happen to get lucky and find something of a career.

I'm surprised journalists like these continue to have jobs. But then again, their job has always been to sell newspapers rather than tell the truth.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hijack is one of my favourite series despite having one of the worst winners ever.

I agree. I really liked the series but I absolutely could not bear either of the final 2. Amy was robbed
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Just 640,000 viewers tuned into last
    night's (final) show after it failed to attract a loyal following.
    Loughton fought hard to win what
    he thought would be his ticket to
    stardom, blissfully unaware interest
    in the show had plummeted to a
    new low."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-510983/Big-Brother-Celebrity-Hijack-winner-emerges-discover-nobodys-heard-him.html

IIRC, the series was broadcast on E4 and not C4, (apart from the launch night), so it's no wonder that it didn't get as many viewers as the C4 series did.
  • Options
    Wayne_BWayne_B Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it. Awesome series. Didn't even mind the winner :D
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, was certainly better then many a CBB, the free pass to the final on launch was a mistake i agree and not just because of who got it, wouldnt have mattered who got it, it was a bad idea full stop.
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    I really liked it - it was better than a lot of CBBs.
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I agree. I really liked the series but I absolutely could not bear either of the final 2. Amy was robbed

I disagree. Firstly, it was a spin off used by channel 4 to replace the authentic Celebrity Big Brother series as the preceding one created much controversy. That series was Shilpa Shetty was a victim of bullying from Jade Goody, Jo O Meara and Danielle Lloyd. People that have constantly watched the show will remember the controversy of that series and indeed the negative publicity that rightly followed.

As a result, Channel 4 used this particular series as a vehicle to retain the Celebrity Big Brother arm of the show. However, I felt that it was a sluggish and lazy attempt to coerce viewers into trying to forget what had happened the year before and for the producers to test the waters and see whether they could produce another Celebrity series ever again.

Well of course, Channel 4 produced another two Celebrity editions of the show but again they were lackadaisical in their imagination with creating tasks and desperate in their attempt to attract participants.

The Celebrity Hijack series itself was an example like the final two Celebrity series and the original series of around 2008 to 2010 of Channel 4's poor production and the show going into decline.

It is widely felt by critics that the only viewers that appreciated the hijack series were those oblivious not only to this decline but Channel 4's impish method to gaining viewers back.
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I disagree. Firstly, it was a spin off used by channel 4 to replace the authentic Celebrity Big Brother series as the preceding one created much controversy. That series was Shilpa Shetty was a victim of bullying from Jade Goody, Jo O Meara and Danielle Lloyd. People that have constantly watched the show will remember the controversy of that series and indeed the negative publicity that rightly followed.

As a result, Channel 4 used this particular series as a vehicle to retain the Celebrity Big Brother arm of the show. However, I felt that it was a sluggish and lazy attempt to coerce viewers into trying to forget what had happened the year before and for the producers to test the waters and see whether they could produce another Celebrity series ever again.

Well of course, Channel 4 produced another two Celebrity editions of the show and again they were lackadaisical in their imagination with creating tasks and desperate in their attempt to attract participants.

The Celebrity Hijack series itself was an example like the final two Celebrity series and the original series of around 2008 to 2010 of Channel 4's poor production and the show going into decline.

It is widely felt by critics that the only viewers that appreciated the hijack series were those oblivious not only to this decline but Channel 4's impish method to gaining viewers back.

I'm well aware that BB entered a terminal decline from BB8 onwards and that Hijack was a means to deflect attention away from the previous CBB....
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Barracute;77171125]I'm well aware that BB entered a terminal decline from BB8 onwards and that Hijack was a means to deflect attention away from the previous CBB....[/QUOTE]

Well, you are probably one of very few that did out of the average 600,000 viewing figures that the show pulled in after the first night.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    It was obvious they were just trying something new with Hijack. I'm not surprised that the CBB5 fiasco scared them into trying something different.

When it comes to BB the thing that really matters to me is if it's entertaining. Some critic trying to tell me who/what/why/where/when/how, quite frankly I don't really give a toss what they think. lol
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was obvious they were just trying something new with Hijack. I'm not surprised that the CBB5 fiasco scared them into trying something different.

When it comes to BB the thing that really matters to me is if it's entertaining. Some critic trying to tell me who/what/why/where/when/how, quite frankly I don't really give a toss what they think. lol

Ditto. I'd given up on regular BB by then and it was actually nice to have a house with some pleasant kids in there for a change. Like you, I like what I like and I don't need anyone patronising me by trying to tell me that they know my mind better than I do
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed it. Might be worth a rewatch sometime.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So strange that I was going to make a thread about celebrity hijack and I come into see one on the first page .