Options

Ancient Egypt (22 March)

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can't believe nobody has mentioned this prog. Found it really interesting and although I was at first distracted by Dr Joann Fletcher's bright red worzel gummidge hairstyle I soon got over it.

She is absolutely passionate about Ancient Egypt and was reduced to tears at one point. I liked her as a presenter and loved her down to earth accent. Not sure why she wore black and carried a black brolly in that scorching heat - I thought white gear was preferable in hot weather.

Comments

• Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I watched in anticiption and was looking forward to it .I was dissapointed , it was bitty , scatty and I didnt like the presentation at all . I would love to have seen a computer image of the house as they would have been .An image of how things looked etc .But will admit I was bored and no desire to watch again .
    The black brolly was so distracting , why not a white parasol ?
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded this.

Looking at the above two posts I'm wondering what I'll make of it.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    What channel is it on? Thanks :)
  • Options
    girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    I recorded this.

Looking at the above two posts I'm wondering what I'll make of it.

I thought it was great. The presenter was very good and very passionate about the subject, I got carried along by her enthusiasm and look forward to the next episode.
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We quite enjoyed it once we got used to the presenter (both her appearance and voice were a bit unusual).

Her passion for the subject and the subject matter itself was interesting (in our opinion anyway) and we will watch again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was great. The presenter was very good and very passionate about the subject, I got carried along by her enthusiasm and look forward to the next episode.

Absolutely. I really enjoyed it. It was nice to see, and hear, someone who was so passionate about Egypt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    I thought Dr. Joann Fletcher did an excellent job in presenting Ancient Egypt: Life and death in the valley of the kings. It was lovely to see someone who has such a passion for what they're talking about. Joann made the whole subject come alive and gave me a whole new perspective on ancient Egypt. I only wish it was on for more than two programmes
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Don't expect any information about time, channel or broadcasters summary of the program, around here.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

bbc2 9pm friday
    here is the iplayer link
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is repeated next Thursday 28/3/13 at 23.20 on BBC 2.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Mary Beard has started a fashion for older, slightly scatty-looking female academics on TV. OK with me - all I care about is how they engage me in their subject.

Dr. Joann Fletcher seems passionate about her subject, but I'm not sure we're quite ready for another broad Lancashire accent after so much recent exposure to Brian Cox. She did seem prone to conjecture, which annoyed me - I felt I was being sold a child's story rather than talked to as an adult. The assumption that the couple in the tomb had a lovely monagomous marriage, based on the tomb paintings alone, seemed daft. My impression of Egyptian tombs is that the paintings show an idealised version of the person's life, with no room for gritty trivia. I was willing to buy the probability that the husband wanted to present his life in a certain way, and that this in itself was interesting, but I suspect we've all watched and read enough about ancient Egypt to know that the reality was often very different from the PR version painted on the walls.

I, too, was puzzled by the black jumper, black jacket garb. I guess she's highly sensitive to sun, with that red hair, but I wouldn't have thought that black was a wise choice for the heat?
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good programme from a slightly different slant which gave the whole thing a fresh feel..
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    Dr. Joann Fletcher seems passionate about her subject, but I'm not sure we're quite ready for another broad Lancashire accent after so much recent exposure to Brian Cox. She did seem prone to conjecture, which annoyed me - I felt I was being sold a child's story rather than talked to as an adult. The assumption that the couple in the tomb had a lovely monagomous marriage, based on the tomb paintings alone, seemed daft. My impression of Egyptian tombs is that the paintings show an idealised version of the person's life, with no room for gritty trivia. I was willing to buy the probability that the husband wanted to present his life in a certain way, and that this in itself was interesting, but I suspect we've all watched and read enough about ancient Egypt to know that the reality was often very different from the PR version painted on the walls.QUOTE]

Have to agree. I thought it was incredibly light weight and was very much in JF's usual style of romantic Egypt ( full of conjecture about what individuals were thinking and how 'in love' Kha and Merit were and a rosy picture of Merit making bread for her husband). Her book on Cleopatra is much the same.

One more irritation: what was with all the 'fish eye' lens stuff?
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joann has popped up on the Discovery and National Geo Channels for a number of years now. She did one searching for Neffitti(sp)'s mummy, that has been her great passion to find it for years. She is very passionate and makes the documentaries really interesting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    If you close your eyes she sounds like Christine Walkden the TV gardening expert, enthusiast.

And what's wrong with her accent and appearance? She's a great presenter and knows her stuff inside out.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellijay wrote: »
    If you close your eyes she sounds like Christine Walkden the TV gardening expert, enthusiast.

And what's wrong with her accent and appearance? She's a great presenter and knows her stuff inside out.

Quite right, her red 'fro looks quite fab. I really like her appearance and style. But getting back to more important things, I found her engaging and personable. It was touching when she was brought to tears down in the tomb.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Mary Beard has started a fashion for older, slightly scatty-looking female academics on TV. OK with me - all I care about is how they engage me in their subject.

Dr. Joann Fletcher seems passionate about her subject, but I'm not sure we're quite ready for another broad Lancashire accent after so much recent exposure to Brian Cox. She did seem prone to conjecture, which annoyed me - I felt I was being sold a child's story rather than talked to as an adult. The assumption that the couple in the tomb had a lovely monagomous marriage, based on the tomb paintings alone, seemed daft. My impression of Egyptian tombs is that the paintings show an idealised version of the person's life, with no room for gritty trivia. I was willing to buy the probability that the husband wanted to present his life in a certain way, and that this in itself was interesting, but I suspect we've all watched and read enough about ancient Egypt to know that the reality was often very different from the PR version painted on the walls.

I, too, was puzzled by the black jumper, black jacket garb. I guess she's highly sensitive to sun, with that red hair, but I wouldn't have thought that black was a wise choice for the heat?[/QUOTE]

I always understood that white clothing reflected heat and black clothing absorbs heat. So I was very surprised (as I said in my original post) to see her in all that black gear.

When you go abroad to any hot countries there is always racks of white clothing for sale and traitionally safari gear was always in light colours - never black for sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the programme and I am looking forward to part two. It was interesting to hear about the day to day lives of ordinary Egyptians and not just the Pharaohs! :)
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellijay wrote: »

Absolutely nothing. It's nice to hear more northern accents on the telly. As a midlands lass the snobbish attitude some people have towards anyone with an accent is extremely annoying in itself.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoinGaga wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing. It's nice to hear more northern accents on the telly. As a midlands lass the snobbish attitude some people have towards anyone with an accent is extremely annoying in itself.

We don't have an accent in the North, it is the Southerners and those in London who have an accent! :)

I agree though, every time there is anyone is on TV with any sort of accent there are moans mainly from those down South, some even claiming they cannot understand the person. Often it is a veiled way of just attacking the person.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not sure we're quite ready for another broad Lancashire accent

I, too, was puzzled by the black jumper, black jacket garb. I guess she's highly sensitive to sun, with that red hair, but I wouldn't have thought that black was a wise choice for the heat?

Bit sensitive to Lancashire accents are you? What accent would you like her to have?

Ever noticed what colour Bedouins wear in the desert?
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed the programme and can't believe some of the comments on here about Dr Fletcher's appearance. Shallow much?
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching this on catch up.

I am really enjoying it - it gives a fascinating insight into the lives of more 'ordinary' ancient Egyptians (as much as you can call the wonderful artisans responsible for the beautiful temples and tombs ordinary).

I love Joann Fletcher's obvious passion and enthusiasm for her subject.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure we're quite ready for another broad Lancashire accent
    She was born in Barnsley.

But I now have this image of ancient Egyptians talking in Yorkshire accent
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    She was born in Barnsley.

But I now have this image of ancient Egyptians talking in Yorkshire accent
    oh good ...sorry no punc 1 hand typing due to broken right wrist... someone got the accent..and added to hers a scouse geologist. it seems to surprise some people that we northerners are allowed commentary. what on earth has curly red hair got to do with ability to study ancient egypt. oh and i saw many local women in that neck of the woods wearing black. and the japanese tourists ..like victorian ladies carrying large umbrellas in the vok. the whole point of the prof approach is to make passion obvious and accessable. for too long we ve looked at the lives of the great. good to see the workers world. the artisans village is a magical place. ok she makes greats leaps off assumption in evidence..historians do you know.