ProSieben Maxx

Launching fta at 20:15 CET on 03 September 2013 ProSieben Maxx has started running a promo loop on Astra 1L (19.2º) 12545 H 22000 5/6. It is transmitting in SD 720x576.
The target (evening) audience is male, age group 30-59. The good news is that they will be broadcasting many series and movies in the original English language with German subtitles. Amongst the series which have already been announced is 'House of Cards' with Kevin Spacey. They have also bought 300 hours of BBC Earth programming from BBC WW. Finally a break with the tradition of dubbing everything into German. :)

http://www.prosiebenmaxx.de/

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Hollywood likes to keep 'territories' very distinct.

The dubbing is a contractual requirement as much as anything.

Captain America starting soon - I'll eat my hat if it's in English
  • J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    inops wrote: »
    Hollywood likes to keep 'territories' very distinct.

The dubbing is a contractual requirement as much as anything.

Captain America starting soon - I'll eat my hat if it's in English

In German as expected. I suspect very little if anything will be in English. Some good stuff coming up -will watch some of it
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, EPISODES and HOMELAND are in English.

Homeland: Wed 19:15 BST (block of 3 episodes)
    Episodes: Thu 20:20 BST (block of 2 episodes)

http://www.prosiebenmaxx.de/tv/episodes
    http://www.prosiebenmaxx.de/tv/homeland
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    The target (evening) audience is male, age group 30-59.

I wonder if there is a modern equivalent of Lilo Wanders....:)
  • jnojno Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here in Austria, German language broadcaster ORF offers several programmes with an alternative English soundtrack on their terrestrial DVB-T service of ORF1. Sadly this is not available via their sat service though.
  • The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before but zdf.kultur HD were showing Seinfeld earlier with an English soundtrack option on my Panasonic Freesat TV in non-freesat mode :)

Proseiben Maxx has only a German option so is it subtitled?
  • KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's subtitled.
  • mici01mici01 Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    jno wrote: »
    Here in Austria, German language broadcaster ORF offers several programmes with an alternative English soundtrack on their terrestrial DVB-T service of ORF1. Sadly this is not available via their sat service though.

They do this also on Satellite (later Seasons of 'Scrubs' for example). What would be the reason to do not so? (as long as they are encrypted).
  • jnojno Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mici01 wrote: »
    They do this also on Satellite (later Seasons of 'Scrubs' for example). What would be the reason to do not so? (as long as they are encrypted).

Must have been a recent thing - it was always German only on sat for ages. The cost of the Austrian GIS TV licence is astronomical and never worth it compared to the choice you get for equivalent tv licence payments in other countries - ORF are pretty poor imo. Even though I get ORF on DVBT I haven't watched it for ages, it should be renamed to 'Skiing 1 with ads'.