Options

Have you done the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Comments

• Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am getting sooo fed up of seeing videos on FB about this.

JUST DONATE MONEY.

How does pouring a bucket of cold water over yourself help anyone?

Ridiculous fad
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what it is.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Sadly McMillan cancer charity hijacked the challenge, some people are giving the money to them instead of MND.

I have seen this before. How have they hijacked it?

I have seem many videos where people are giving to other causes but nothing about McMillan themselfs doing anything.

A few of my friends dedicated/donated the vidio for special needs and Ive seen many others not for MND. But I guess people want to do the challenge but have their own fav charity.
    I shall be donating to MND. but any charity is good.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Sadly McMillan cancer charity hijacked the challenge, some people are giving the money to them instead of MND.

Any charity getting money can only be s good thing.
    MND Ireland have raised more from this than they raise all year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

JUST DONATE MONEY.

Ridiculous fad

I dont think you understand . The fad is what has raised awareness of MND . Most people never heard of it before now and so most likely would not have donated
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    I dont think you understand . The fad is what has raised awareness of MND . Most people never heard of it before now and so most likely would not have donated

Oh I understand completely.

Its a silly fad and its annoying. Sorry, but it is.

People donate to who they want to. Not by some silly video of people pouring water over their heads
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He dropped the umbrella as the water came down so he sort of defeated the purpose of needing it.

I have my donation made; will get the challenge done in the next 24 hours.

That's good. I'm really proud of everyone who makes the effort to do it.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People donate to who they want to. Not by some silly video of people pouring water over their heads

Oh well. I think annoying a few people is a small price to pay for $79 million to a previously little-known charity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Oh well. I think annoying a few people is a small price to pay for $79 million to a previously little-known charity.

I agree. But I wonder how many people who posted these silly videos actually donated?

All the ones I've seen have just nominated other people to do the same challenge. No mention of charity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well being annoyed is a price you must pay .People with MND are annoyed every day and maybe this fad will help the charity ease their burden
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. But I wonder how many people who posted these silly videos actually donated?

All the ones I've seen have just nominated other people to do the same challenge. No mention of charity

All the videos I've seen on my Facebook newsfeed have mentioned the charity (around ten and counting now). All you have to do is look at the figures between this year and last to see what a monumental success this campaign has been. Of course there will be people who miss the point, but why must they be the focus?

A very good thing is being done to help people who are suffering. Why all the negativity?
  • Options
    woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I haven't. And no I wouldn't

Why do people have to do 'crazy wacky' things in order to raise awareness of a charity? If you want to make a donation - fine.
    If you want to tell your friends about it- fine.
    But theres no need for this water throwing business, it just makes me cringe. Its just like bloody red nose day.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far i've only seen ONE person on my news feed post a screen shot to proove they've donated after getting covered in ice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think I'd rather just donate money to the charity than do this. If people want to do it, fine. The last daft craze was Neknominate, this time it's having ice cold water tipped over you. I wonder what the next one will be?

Hopefully jumping off a cliff
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

If it's additional money, yes, but if the future is giving money to the charity that has the best viral social media campaign then there are going to be some serious losers in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    So far i've only seen ONE person on my news feed post a screen shot to proove they've donated after getting covered in ice.

Exactly!

I've not seen ONE person actually SAY they're going to donate. Just stupid videos of them pouring water over themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And where's the 'challenge'?

Not much of a 'challenge' sitting on your arse with someone else tipping water over you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woofwoof77 wrote: »
    And where's the 'challenge'?

Not much of a 'challenge' sitting on your arse with someone else tipping water over you

Attention seeking
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attention seeking

No it isnt, its called joining in with things. feeling like you made a difference and played a part in something good.
  • Options
    made_in_londonmade_in_london Posts: 196
    Forum Member

JUST DONATE MONEY.

Ridiculous fad

I agree every time I check my FB there is yet another story about it.

Getting a bit silly now!
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I agree every time I check my FB there is yet another story about it.

Getting a bit silly now!

I have to agree. I've tired all sorts to try and get it to disappear but nothing works any ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it isnt, its called joining in with things. feeling like you made a difference and played a part in something good.

How? By pouring a bucket of cold water over yourself? How is that helping anyone???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How? By pouring a bucket of cold water over yourself? How is that helping anyone???

If people donate it would help but most on my thread are just pouring water over themself and nominating others to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people donate it would help but most on my thread are just pouring water over themself and nominating others to do it.

Thats what I said earlier in the thread No mention of any donation to charity. Just nominating other people to do the same silly stunt.

Its ridiculous
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats what I said earlier in the thread No mention of any donation to charity. Just nominating other people to do the same silly stunt.

Its ridiculous

That is the worst part