Can I connect a sky cable to a tv aerial

Hi. I was about to order some tv aerial coax (about 25m) to add an extra aerial point in the house. I just realised though that I might be able to use a Sky cable that is already there. It would save me a lot of work as the cable is hidden and is in the right place. Could I just connect it to the tv aerial? Obviously I know that I would require different connectors. I've got twin Sky cable which is about 8 years old.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all just coax, so why not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    What happens if you get Sky back in or Freesat+ ?

got to Satcure and buy some WF100 cable and do it right

You might want the aerial to go to the tv first, then run it to a tv Distribution amp and then onto other rooms.

Future proof yourself, because if you get Sky; you can then watch it in other rooms
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Hi. I was about to order some tv aerial coax (about 25m) to add an extra aerial point in the house. I just realised though that I might be able to use a Sky cable that is already there. It would save me a lot of work as the cable is hidden and is in the right place. Could I just connect it to the tv aerial? Obviously I know that I would require different connectors. I've got twin Sky cable which is about 8 years old.

As the cable is already there, then by all means try it and see - although the thin twin cable probably isn't as good as even normal TV cable, it's likely to work well enough unless your signals are exceptionally poor.

But as it's costing next to nothing to try it, give it a go :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys. I doubt I'll be getting Sky again. If I do then Sky will install a new cable.

If it can be done (sounds like it can), I've already got a distribution box in the attic, so I can just disconnect the cable from the satellite dish and feed it through into the attic. The aerial is only a couple of months old and the signal is perfect on my other TVs
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it just has a different terminator doesn't it. A screw on F-connector, rather than a male/female aerial.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it just has a different terminator doesn't it. A screw on F-connector, rather than a male/female aerial.

You can either cut the original one off and wire on a new one, or you can buy adaptor plugs to convert one to the other. These can be bought very cheaply from online stores such as Amazon.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes ! no problem.

the sky cable is "satellite grade", ie can "carry" signals in frequency range 1-2 GHz, which is what a sat antenna outputs. Whereas, the inferior grade cable often used for for aerial cannot carry such signals, and is limited to lower frequencies 400 - 900 MHz used for terrestrial broadcasting. But both cables are more or less the same, if used with tv aerial.

Both have the same characteristic impedence, 75 ohms.