Changes to be made for The X Factor 2015?

StubeStube Posts: 16,780
Forum Member
✭✭
So The X Factor is over for another year and while it has declined slightly in ratings, it is still one of the biggest shows in the UK even in its eleventh year. With at least a further two more series guaranteed, it's clear that there needs to be a revamp of the format (I mean a major shake up) in order to freshen it up. So what are everyone's ideas?

I think:

Axe the room auditions: They were good before arena auditions were introduced but going from arena auditions back to room auditions was never a good idea. It makes the show look like it is moving backwards. Having two sets of auditions is probably a huge turn-off for viewers and I think the arenas are far superior.

Select a great line-up for the Final 12/16: This year was a terrible "casting". There were lots of boring acts who just sang the same kind of songs and stood on the same spot on stage, there were a lot of singers who couldn't stay in tune during their performances. The level of talent which was present in the 2008, 2010 and 2011 series is what is needed. There needs to be diversity amongst the finalists.

Imaginative song choices: Regardless of whether the show can only use certain songs or not, there must be more than Elton, Whitney, Michael Jackson and Queen every year. Fleur and Ben proved this in the final with 'Can't Hold Us' and 'Demons' - neither being performed on the show before.

Maybe this one is a bit too imaginative but...

Public choose the manufactured groups: Kind of a Popstars: The Rivals idea here. Instead of the judges choosing which members make one of the inevitably formed groups at bootcamp, the public should be able to vote which members (out of a select bunch) they want in the group. It'd help the group stand more chance of doing well if the public had a hand in forming them. The problem with this is that bootcamp and judges houses is filmed a while before they are aired.

Comments

• Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what I would do:

Axe the arena auditions
    I absolutely hate them. Many acts get through based on the crowds reaction and response and not what the judges think. I like the room auditions as we actually hear the acts do what they want. I can't stand the arena auditions when we hear the crowd shouting the odds and booing etc.

Axe the 6 chair challenge
    The only reason they even have this is to cause controversey. It's a complete mess with acts beign swapped in and out, then acts returning.

More emphasis on bootcamp
    I want bootcamp more like it used it to be. If they get past the room audition they should then go to bootcamp where they have to do a number of different singing tasks and activities like in the early days, with this stage then concluding with each act having to perform to songs in front of just the judges.

Axe the themes
    This seriously needs to be done. The show is absolutely obsessed with the idea that if you can't adhere to each theme every week, then you're rubbish. It's just not realistic and not representive of how things work in the real world. Take Sam Smith for example...he's hugely talented and successful, yet if he had gone on the X Factor and performed a rock song and done it badly, he would have been made out to be rubbish and not up to scratch. Real different and uniquer artists have left the show due to crappy themes. Janet Devlin being ane example...personally, she wasn't my cup of tea, but making an artist like her adhere to ridoculous themes that she wouldn't even touch in the real world is stupid. How are acts suppsoed to show the artist they want to be when they're having to adhere to such stupid restrictions.

Allow acts to perform their own songs
    This would really change things. Let acts really show their talent and imject some new life into the show. Imagine an act performing their own song, viewers loving it and it rocketing up the iTunes chart. It would chaneg the show a lot. I don't think Simon has the guts to allow this though as it wouldn't allow him to be the puppet master as much.

Axe the set-up and fake scenes
    These are just so cringy. Setting up scenes pretending acts are having genuine conversations backstage. They treat the viewers like iditos.

New judges
    I don't think there's any way of getting rid of Simon again. It's his show and he likes to be in control, so I think we may have to just afce the fact he'll be on the panel. However, they need to get rid of the other three. I mean, Cheryl...seriously?!! Back in 2008/2009/2010 she the lineup was fresh and it worked, but it's time to move on and he needs to drop his obsession with her. She's just not working as a judge anymore, and I'm sorry but having her sit there along with Mel B and both of them judge people on singing when the two of them are crap is just ridiculous. Nicole Scherzinger and Kelly Rowland are actually good singers, however they would give honest critiques about the acts, and I suspect that this is why they didn't return. Simon likes judges who will join in with his manipulation, and they didn't really toe that line. Good singers need to be on the panel, and I'm not talking about people at the level of Beyonce or Rihanna...all Simon needs is people who can sing very well and who have big personalities.
  • Robert_WhippyRobert_Whippy Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also suggest a voice type scenario that they are given their categories before the auditions start and then the acts only need to impress one judge.

I also change sing offs to take it away from the judges

At the start of the results show, result is announced. Sing off happens. Voting then opens for 30 mins. after all guest acts and chit. Find out who won the sing off
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what I would do:

Axe the arena auditions
    I absolutely hate them. Many acts get through based on the crowds reaction and response and not what the judges think. I like the room auditions as we actually hear the acts do what they want. I can't stand the arena auditions when we hear the crowd shouting the odds and booing etc.

Axe the 6 chair challenge
    The only reason they even have this is to cause controversey. It's a complete mess with acts beign swapped in and out, then acts returning.

More emphasis on bootcamp
    I want bootcamp more like it used it to be. If they get past the room audition they should then go to bootcamp where they have to do a number of different singing tasks and activities like in the early days, with this stage then concluding with each act having to perform to songs in front of just the judges.

Axe the themes
    This seriously needs to be done. The show is absolutely obsessed with the idea that if you can't adhere to each theme every week, then you're rubbish. It's just not realistic and not representive of how things work in the real world. Take Sam Smith for example...he's hugely talented and successful, yet if he had gone on the X Factor and performed a rock song and done it badly, he would have been made out to be rubbish and not up to scratch. Real different and uniquer artists have left the show due to crappy themes. Janet Devlin being ane example...personally, she wasn't my cup of tea, but making an artist like her adhere to ridoculous themes that she wouldn't even touch in the real world is stupid. How are acts suppsoed to show the artist they want to be when they're having to adhere to such stupid restrictions.

Allow acts to perform their own songs
    This would really change things. Let acts really show their talent and imject some new life into the show. Imagine an act performing their own song, viewers loving it and it rocketing up the iTunes chart. It would chaneg the show a lot. I don't think Simon has the guts to allow this though as it wouldn't allow him to be the puppet master as much.

Axe the set-up and fake scenes
    These are just so cringy. Setting up scenes pretending acts are having genuine conversations backstage. They treat the viewers like iditos.

New judges
    I don't think there's any way of getting rid of Simon again. It's his show and he likes to be in control, so I think we may have to just afce the fact he'll be on the panel. However, they need to get rid of the other three. I mean, Cheryl...seriously?!! Back in 2008/2009/2010 she the lineup was fresh and it worked, but it's time to move on and he needs to drop his obsession with her. She's just not working as a judge anymore, and I'm sorry but having her sit there along with Mel B and both of them judge people on singing when the two of them are crap is just ridiculous. Nicole Scherzinger and Kelly Rowland are actually good singers, however they would give honest critiques about the acts, and I suspect that this is why they didn't return. Simon likes judges who will join in with his manipulation, and they didn't really toe that line. Good singers need to be on the panel, and I'm not talking about people at the level of Beyonce or Rihanna...all Simon needs is people who can sing very well and who have big personalities.

Agree with a lot of these points esp the themes. Im confident we have lost potentially very good artists cause of the stupid themes. Even Lauren suffered in her popularity because of them. She'd have shown people how good she really is without them because when given the right song she was amazing for me.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boring. This thread pops up numerous times every year and nothing changes
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should get rid of the categories full stop. They need some mentors who are not also judges. We don't need all that judges houses milarkey. They should just do rounds like they do when people audition for other types of shows. The judges can just be 4 experts who don't have an invested interest in signing up the winners. Get rid of the sob-stories and Louis Walsh too.
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »

Select a great line-up for the Final 12/16: This year was a terrible "casting". There were lots of boring acts who just sang the same kind of songs and stood on the same spot on stage, there were a lot of singers who couldn't stay in tune during their performances.

You make it sound so easy! You don't think that's what Cowell aims to do every year? The fact is with talent shows like this on every year the talent has all but shrivelled up, hence we're down to pub singers and people who have been on x-factor before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make it sound so easy! You don't think that's what Cowell aims to do every year? The fact is with talent shows like this on every year the talent has all but shrivelled up, hence we're down to pub singers and people who have been on x-factor before.

Agree with this and at parts they have to make very quick decisions to think things through and only listen to a 90 second song sung to them. its not enough to judge the act. If each act sung 5 full length songs to them and then the judges made their decisions in like a day or 2. they could rewatch the songs and make a better decision.

I think at auditions cause they cant do the above they would need to just send anyone half decent through
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come all those people performing, who they show in the ad-breaks, seem so entertaining compared to the contestants? It proves there are some talented people out there but we end up with the dross for the real show.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everything needs a revamp, but please XF stop looking to the past and stop relying on your past contestants. New start, new vision.
  • BobbyMcGeeBobbyMcGee Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New judges
    I don't think there's any way of getting rid of Simon again. It's his show and he likes to be in control, so I think we may have to just afce the fact he'll be on the panel. However, they need to get rid of the other three. I mean, Cheryl...seriously?!! Back in 2008/2009/2010 she the lineup was fresh and it worked, but it's time to move on and he needs to drop his obsession with her. She's just not working as a judge anymore, and I'm sorry but having her sit there along with Mel B and both of them judge people on singing when the two of them are crap is just ridiculous. Nicole Scherzinger and Kelly Rowland are actually good singers, however they would give honest critiques about the acts, and I suspect that this is why they didn't return. Simon likes judges who will join in with his manipulation, and they didn't really toe that line. Good singers need to be on the panel, and I'm not talking about people at the level of Beyonce or Rihanna...all Simon needs is people who can sing very well and who have big personalities.[/QUOTE]

head over to the voice.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mention worrying about the show looking like it's going backwards, but I'd actually prefer the show to go back to basics a little.

Room auditions only.
    No six-chair-challenge.
    12 in the live shows.
    No Sunday shows.
    Finale held in the regular studio.

I'd also want the panel to either be cut to 3 judges again, or extended to 5 (the fifth being neutral), to strip them of the chance to intentionally go to deadlock because they refuse to do their job and make a decision.
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Boring. This thread pops up numerous times every year and nothing changes

Then maybe ignore it? :confused:
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BobbyMcGee wrote: »
    New judges

head over to the voice.

The Voice isn't any better. Trying to convince viewers that it's all about the voice, when we all now it's not. The amount of times the judges hear an amazing voice, but look dissapoitned when they turn around...
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to overhaul the results show format - it's very tired and now boring. They should stick to the new format in the last few weeks of announcing the results in the middle and sing-off as normal after another guest act. They need to axe deadlock and maybe have a rotating guest fifth judge on Sunday who is one of the guest performers with the casting vote. More exciting guest acts would be good too, especially on the final.

More controversially, I think they need to replace Dermot now. He's becoming a bit tired on the show and it could do with some fresh blood. The judges work fine together this year, except maybe Cheryl. I wouldn't be opposed to replacing Cheryl with either Kelly Rowland or Nicole Scherzinger.

I quite like the Room Auditions and I prefer them to the Arena auditions. But they only need one audition - I think having both stages is too much. As a result, there should be more emphasis on the old style of bootcamp and replace the judges' houses stage with the four or three chair challenge.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree that it should be room audition only, followed by much more focus on boot camp

No twists or wildcards, either pick 12 or 16 at judges houses and stick to it
  • R598R598 Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although, the line up in terms of talent was awful this year, I do believe that we had some interesting contestants in terms of character and personality.
    The only people I remember from last year were the winner, Nicolas and Tamera.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    best thing they could do is get rid of Louis

for me he signifies everything that is wrong with the show now

- never gives any constructive critique
    - is too impressed by style over substance
    - too supportive of the joke acts
    - we have heard all his clichés far too many times already
    - his idea of a successful group is about 20 years out of date
    - hasn't got an original thought in his head
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »

for me he signifies everything that is wrong with the show

Completely agree! He's a joke that was never funny. Katy Perry summed it up brilliantly when she was on the judging panel, asking "how are you a judge?"

I say bring Robbie Williams in to replace him. They picked the wrong Take That member first time around. Robbie is the one with the personality and the record sales. His charm would be amazing for the show and I'm not even a Robbie fan musically. The female judges are always swapped around each year so I think it is time a new male judge is brought in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »

for me he signifies everything that is wrong with the show now

- hasn't got an original thought in his head

Yes, yes, 1000% yes!
    to coin a phrase
    Stube wrote: »
    Completely agree! He's a joke that was never funny. Katy Perry summed it up brilliantly when she was on the judging panel, asking "how are you a judge?"

I say bring Robbie Williams in to replace him. They picked the wrong Take That member first time around. Robbie is the one with the personality and the record sales. His charm would be amazing for the show and I'm not even a Robbie fan musically. The female judges are always swapped around each year so I think it is time a new male judge is brought in.

Robbie Williams is a great idea, but he's probably too maverick for SC. I could just imagine his reaction if he was told to toe the party line.
  • Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given categories before the auditions, each catgeory has seperate room auditions with the mentor picking a group of people (songwriters/producers/other singers) to help with auditions.

Arena auditions should be the first time the other judges see competition, 6 chair and Judges Houses resume as normal.

Live shows:

-No themes
    -Opportunity for original songs
    -Flash vote in place of deadlock (means it will be used less since the producers can't really call it)
    -Bring back weekly celebrity mentors.
  • dia6olodia6olo Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The x factor is what it is, any changes no matter how well they sound will be superficial, smoke and mirrors!
    Underneath it all it is and always will be a marketing tool for SYCO!
  • Denise1810Denise1810 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I also suggest a voice type scenario that they are given their categories before the auditions start and then the acts only need to impress one judge.

I also change sing offs to take it away from the judges

At the start of the results show, result is announced. Sing off happens. Voting then opens for 30 mins. after all guest acts and chit. Find out who won the sing off

I think this would work and if the judges want a say then I would make it a bottom 3 and the judges can save one and the other 2 have a sing off

Also if the judges know who they have before auditions they could have a deciding vote if they want someone in their category and the others dont
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would get rid of the ROOT of the problem.

Sack the producers and hire NEW and professional/unbiased ones.
  • dia6olodia6olo Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »
    I would get rid of the ROOT of the problem.

Sack the producers and hire NEW and professional/unbiased ones.

Spot on!
  • Purple MangoPurple Mango Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id prefer less emphasis on the contestants personal lives.....

I dont care who they came to audition with, i dont care what their current job is and I certainly dont care about their family matters.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,491
    Forum Member
    Make the iTunes downloads count for half of the vote. You might look pretty but can you actually sell music?