Options

Switzerland v. England - No Highlights Show on Terrestrial TV?

Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just had a look at next week's terrestrial tv listings and couldn't find no Switzerland v England highlights show on Tuesday!

I know the game is on live on Sky but l thought there would be highlights on either ITV or BBC later on that evening but l couldn't find any in my magazine!

I thought after the nation outcry over the away game in Croatia on Setanta a few years ago, one of the terrestrial channels would have show this as it's a qualiflying game for the 2012 European Championships!

Maybe, on the other hand, my magazine could be out of date?

Comments

• Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the way the team are at the moment and the team capello has picked no body is interested in the game anyway!!!
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have always made sure highlights are available in the past. I guess they haven't struck a deal with anyone yet.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No mater to me as STV dont seem to show any highlights with England games anyway even if it was showen on ITV1.
    At lest BBC1 Scotland has hightlights of Tusedays Scotland game at just after 10.30pm.
    Im also glad that Fridays Scotland game is live on BBC1 Scotland for a change.

Darren
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a look at next week's terrestrial tv listings and couldn't find no Switzerland v England highlights show on Tuesday!

I know the game is on live on Sky but l thought there would be highlights on either ITV or BBC later on that evening but l couldn't find any in my magazine!

I thought after the nation outcry over the away game in Croatia on Setanta a few years ago, one of the terrestrial channels would have show this as it's a qualiflying game for the 2012 European Championships!

Maybe, on the other hand, my magazine could be out of date?

I anticipate a last-minute deal will be struck, probably with ITV, for the highlights which will be shown the same night, unlike that away game in Croatia (which was in the corresponding week 2 years ago), but were deferred for 24 hours.
  • Options
    gilstagilsta Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody foreign broadcasters asking us to pay to watch our national team, their greed is preventing the BBC and ITV from showing highlights etc etc.
  • Options
    xtradjxtradj Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we the only country that has to pay to watch our home nation play?

Setanta Sky and ESPN are all to blame here
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    No mater to me as STV dont seem to show any highlights with England games anyway even if it was showen on ITV1.
    At lest BBC1 Scotland has hightlights of Tusedays Scotland game at just after 10.30pm.
    Im also glad that Fridays Scotland game is live on BBC1 Scotland for a change.

Darren

BBC Scotland have live rights to all Scotland's away games in the qualifiers
  • Options
    tvphiltvphil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be suprised by an 11th hour deal with either the BBC or ITV.

Am hoping we will get BBC MOTD international highlights on the on Tuesday evening showing Switzerland v England and the other home nations games.
  • Options
    stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xtradj wrote: »

ITV and BBC are to blame!
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have deals with Sky for home matches.
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you come to that conclusion, did they hold a gun to the Football Associations head ?.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    How do you come to that conclusion, did they hold a gun to the Football Associations head ?.
    :rolleyes:

Facetiousness notwithstanding, these rights have nothing to do with the English FA.
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Facetiousness notwithstanding, these rights have nothing to do with the English FA.

The home game is sold to Sky by the FA.
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    Which home game? All England home games are on ITV, as sold by the FA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    The home game is sold to Sky by the FA.
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    Which home game? All England home games are on ITV, as sold by the FA.

What he said.
  • Options
    GorillaMonsoonGorillaMonsoon Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    gilsta wrote: »
    Bloody foreign broadcasters asking us to pay to watch our national team, their greed is preventing the BBC and ITV from showing highlights etc etc.

That's right. Place no blame with your own broadcasters. It's always someone elses fault.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right. Place no blame with your own broadcasters. It's always someone elses fault.

I suspect BBC and ITV will be less inclined to hand out large amounts of dosh for the highlights as there has clearly been a decline in interest in the England team since the World Cup shambles. I will be happy to watch the two minutes of news access on scheduled news bulletins.The issue of having to pay to watch your national team has exercised DS for years. Perhaps we should change the law as the Irish did to prevent RTE losing the rights.
  • Options
    Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Don't see any terrestrial highlights for Northern Ireland's away game in Slovenia either, match is live on Sky as well. BBC NI used to show the away games live before Sky got the rights (something to do with getting the England away matches) so thought they may have been interested in showing the highlights
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    Sky have always made sure highlights are available in the past. I guess they haven't struck a deal with anyone yet.

Not always, the away ties for the 2006 World Cup - Austria, Azerbaijan, Poland and Wales - were all live on Sky with no highlights, the only away match on terrestrial telly was Northern Ireland as the Beeb had NI rights. Everyone forgot about this while moaning about Setanta.

I also remember Sky being extremely reluctant to offer highlights of the Euro 2004 qualifier away to Turkey - the only away match they had, the Beeb had the others live - with a deal being done with ITV very close to the event.

There won't be highlights of Wales vs England apart from on S4C as the Wales contract doesn't offer English language highlights of home games. Scotland and Northern Ireland home games are live on Sky but they also have a highlights deal with the BBC.
  • Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm England? highlights?

Did you watch the world cup, there are no high points of any England performance :mad:
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well said that man :D
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tasker wrote: »
    Erm England? highlights?

Did you watch the world cup, there are no high points of any England performance :mad:
    Watching ITV1HD, were you? :D

K
  • Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Watching ITV1HD, were you? :D

K

Watching a different team were you?
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there was only one England highlight during the tournament (perhaps Lampard's "goal" against Germany could be counted as another) and it sounded as though you missed SGs opener against USA?

But, have to agree, there weren't many others!

K
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not always, the away ties for the 2006 World Cup - Austria, Azerbaijan, Poland and Wales - were all live on Sky with no highlights, the only away match on terrestrial telly was Northern Ireland as the Beeb had NI rights. Everyone forgot about this while moaning about Setanta.

I also remember Sky being extremely reluctant to offer highlights of the Euro 2004 qualifier away to Turkey - the only away match they had, the Beeb had the others live - with a deal being done with ITV very close to the event.

There won't be highlights of Wales vs England apart from on S4C as the Wales contract doesn't offer English language highlights of home games. Scotland and Northern Ireland home games are live on Sky but they also have a highlights deal with the BBC.

At the end of the day though Setanta were a new TV company, and not offering highlights was one of the many mistakes they made. A lot more people have Sky.