Options

Do JUDGES Have To Much POWER ? - Should They Be Newtered & Voting Viewers Let Decide?

TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
Forum Member
✭✭
Do The JUDGES Have To Much POWER ?- Should They Be Newtered And the Voting Viewers Given Free Reign To Let Decide?

All to often we see the judges overmarking to get their favourites in pole position and using the dreaded dance off to get their own personal way, would Strictly Come Dancing be much fairer if the voting viewers were left to decide, after all they do know best?

How much more fun would it be to have guest judges on each week for entertainment rather than the same old tired current format ?

Comments

• Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any problem with the way it is.:)
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should we want the judges turned into newts?

Actually...
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any problem with the way it is.:)

Agreed. The way it is now,allows, the good couples who don't have a lot of public support, to remain in the competition. If it was left up to the public, the crap celebrities would make it to the final.
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    The thread title is very challanging to understand. Are we talking about turning the judges into newts or by neutering like we do to cats?
  • Options
    Cpt James KirkCpt James Kirk Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Nooooo.

No changes and definitely no guest judges! I thought Donny Osmond was horrendous!

I know I'm being nit picky here but Terry, could you please use spell check! I have an image of a newt sat next to Craig on the judges panel and it won't leave me. Lol.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nooooo.

No changes and definitely no guest judges! I thought Donny Osmond was horrendous!

I know I'm being nit picky here but Terry, could you please use spell check! I have an image of a newt sat next to Craig on the judges panel and it won't leave me. Lol.

Is it a great crested one? If so it is protected and cannot be moved. ^_^
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Declare the judges area SSI, which will give them protected species status.
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon people who get a little offended by the jooges language may have been newtered already. Growing a(nother) pair would be the order of the day :)
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MayD wrote: »
    I reckon people who get a little offended by the jooges language may have been newtered already. Growing a(nother) pair would be the order of the day :)

Need to be an Axolotl ^_^
  • Options
    RosegrowerRosegrower Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Nooooo.

Now I am going to be nit-picky James! It should be sitting next to Craig, not sat. This is a common error at the moment, as is stood instead of standing. I am being pedantic maybe, but it drives me crackers.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No and no. Next.
  • Options
    ilovesootyilovesooty Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    No and no. Next.

I agree.
  • Options
    Cpt James KirkCpt James Kirk Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Rosegrower. I think it's my Yorkshire dialect that caused me to write sat instead of sitting. I'm a grammar school girl, honestly! :p
  • Options
    RosegrowerRosegrower Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Rosegrower. I think it's my Yorkshire dialect that caused me to write sat instead of sitting. I'm a grammar school girl, honestly! :p

You are forgiven!
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I'm happy for the judges scores to be included at the start of a series but when it gets to the quarterfinals it should be viewer votes only.

Also no dance off from the quarterfinals,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    I'm happy for the judges scores to be included at the start of a series but when it gets to the quarterfinals it should be viewer votes only.

Also no dance off from the quarterfinals,

I am nothing if not reasonable Cloudy, I would go with that as a compromise, do you think that there is any chance of it happening in the future?
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing you asked the same last year Terry? Have opinions changed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    NO ! It works pretty well as it is.

The viewers have a bit more power than the judges in deciding the two for the dance off since not having ties they have a bigger spread of placings and also are the deciders in the event of tied combined rankings.

Judy's journey has shown it working pretty well with for so many weeks the viewers votes managing to wipe out the judges' votes. But ultimately she wasn't quite popular enough ( i.e. probably not in the viewers' top 2 or 3 ) to overcome the judges' votes, and they had their say in the dance off.

I enjoyed Judy, but to me it was time for her to go, but probably wouldn't have been if it was purely a viewers' vote. If her popularity ( or some other poorer dancer ) was so great to keep them in a week or two more even, so be it.

Year after year we have popular not particularly good dancers entertaining many and surviving some time so being a real part of the series. But ultimately before we reach the final and all power is handed to the viewers we seem to be left with at least very competent dancers. Then the viewers finally decide based on their combination of reasons and we end up with a popular winner who can dance.

Nothing to fix here and while we all have our favourites and different reasons for support, basically...

...IT WORKS !!!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please tell me Terry has been done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davegold wrote: »
    I'm guessing you asked the same last year Terry? Have opinions changed?

Things are changing all the time thankfully dave, the voting viewer will eventually rule, it is only a matter of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last nights fiasco during the dance off on the results show proved beyond doubt that the judges have to much power, when they saved Mark over Sunetra, when Sunetra clearly danced better in the dance off.

Now that the last vestige of judges impartiality has been shattered, is this now time for the voting viewers to take over and decide who stays or goes ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    That just happens to be your opinion, Terry. although as it happens I would have saved Sunetra too, though I didn't think either was particularly good. It was hardly a fiasco.

The judges though, with rather more experience than you or I though differently. We also have a poll here on their relative dances, and while yes more than twice as many have voted for Sunetra than Mark, Mark still has a lot of votes, it isn't totally overwhelming as it likely would be if it was ridiculous ( and I don't know if it has influenced that vote much or not, but Mark is in general hardly Mr Popular on DS ).

Saving Mark over Sunetra - no fiasco !
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark got a higher score than Sunetra on the main show and improved his dancing in the dance off. No surprise result. No fiasco.

If you want to complain about the scoring on the main show then go for it. However, Mark's was pretty much an 8s dance and Sunetra's was pretty much a 7s dance.
  • Options
    IlluvatarIlluvatar Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Since when could the voting public be trusted to vote for anything good?

Seriously though, they have it just fine.

If it was just down to the public vote, we'd have finals where you have celebrities with all the grace and dance ability of a rhinoceros on acid getting to the final. The show then doesn't just jump the shark but performs a series of elaborate gymnastics over it.

If it was just down to the judges vote, the BBC could manipulate it based simply on who they wanted to win and could basically decide the outcome from the word go with nothing to stop them.

The way it is at the moment works, there is no better option that presents itself.

Mark's dance was better than Sunetra's. I liked her but she was the weakest left and it was her time to go.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would ditch the public vote.