The whole Andrea & pugs

Liam_WestfieldLiam_Westfield Posts: 343
Forum Member
Didn't help him at all. They made him seem like a 40 yr old virgin overweight Italian who did opera & lived with a bunch of pugs & laughed at things he didn't understand. Like a dopey type super mario.

They should have made him seem his actual age, and a bit more like the auditions where he seemed to do black music(if I can say that) rather well and had an incredible voice for it.

When the live shows came he went with mad productions that didn't work & I no longer appreciate his voice. His whole charisma seemed lost among all that pug super italian stuff. They should have just not even mentioned much that he was Italian or he liked pugs..and styled him a bit better.

He should have song motown & stuff like that without huge productions. I was bored of him by week 3. He was actually quite funny & really nice..and could sing right he had the potential to win but they ruined him by week 2/3

Comments

• EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely agree - I love cats but I'm not some crazy cat lady living in a hovel and covered in cat hair (well, not on a good day). The pug thing was cute but was overdone and made him look like an absolute simpleton when he clearly wasn't.
  • Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being funny or anything but he came to the bloody audition with a pug jumper on and ankle swingers - he opened himself up to that stigma.

For the record he was styled how he would dress in the real world judging by photos outside the competition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's plenty of pictures of Andrea before X Factor and in not one of them is he wearing a bow tie! He may have had a slightly eccentric dress sense, but it was nowhere near as bad as they made him look on the show. Generally, he was just in shorts, T shirts and normal clothes. When they dressed him without the head-master like clothes (week 1, then the last couple of weeks), he just looked like a normal guy.

It is a shame that they felt the need to dress him like that, and also a shame that they chose boring songs for him week after week - but it's clear from the voting figures that he was winning every week for the first few weeks and they felt the need to stop that trend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    They really didn't know what to do with him half the time. It made me laugh during the live shows when they kept calling him "The People's Diva".

Diva? He's a normal, shy guy, he's as far away from a diva as you can get.
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ankle swingers

LOL I had to google that! Up here we'd call them half masts.

In fairness to Andrea, he was royally stitched up. Probably too polite to complain about the image they carved out for him. The producers merely pounced on his initial dress sense and worked it to his disadvantage, whilst improving the initial image of Fleur and Ben, both of whom seem about 5 years younger at their initial audition. X Factor must really age you!
  • Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL I had to google that! Up here we'd call them half masts.

In fairness to Andrea, he was royally stitched up. Probably too polite to complain about the image they carved out for him. The producers merely pounced on his initial dress sense and worked it to his disadvantage, whilst improving the initial image of Fleur and Ben, both of whom seem about 5 years younger at their initial audition. X Factor must really age you!

I do agree Andrea was totally screwed.
  • 09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was no worse than Ben "I'm so normal I used to drive a ran round my council estate now I'm living my big dream" Haenow mentioning how far he's come and how normal he is in pretty much EVERY BLOODY VT.

It was a bit odd though tbf, if that was say someone who looked like Mary Byrne or Sam Bailey saying it about cats, they'd be laughed out of the audition
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He may have a lot of free time on his hands after the tour so he could probably run a Pug farm.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guy turns up at audition in a hipster 'pugs' t shirt

Show makes it seem like he's obsessed with pugs

I have a Christopher Walken t shirt. I don't even particularly like him
  • AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the pug stuff was over exaggerated, but Andrea has always stressed that he's true to himself (you only have to watch his 'Who You Are' video to see that). I personally found him a breath of fresh air, guys like Ben and 'so called normal 20 year olds' are two a penny. Andrea is different, embracing that may have cost him votes, but It's earned him a devoted fan base and I love it!:)