Not looking good for Sam Bailey.

Comments

• Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as a recording contract is a bonus, an X Factor winner is unlikely to ever have to do another 'real' day's work in their life, so i wouldn't be too sorry for her
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a shame. Syco are a terrible, manipulative label who don't give a f**k about their artists. Sam is better off without them and as she says in the article, she has other things planned. She wouldn't be able to do these 'other things' if still contracted to Syco.

I honestly despise Syco. She won the show fair and square yet they have the audacity to lump her with a covers album, which against all odds shot straight to number one, then a re-released covers/Christmas album! It's ridiculous. Yet Tamara is apparently getting the all star treatment.

Run for the hills Sam. You've got you're exposure, now run
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as a recording contract is a bonus, an X Factor winner is unlikely to ever have to do another 'real' day's work in their life, so i wouldn't be too sorry for her

You are right with this to be fair, as financially she should be in a good position, and maybe someone else might take her on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not sure an X Factor winner is set for life. According this article, if they get offered a recording contract, then:

Winner gets £150k advance, 2nd gets £75k, 3rd £50k and 4th £10k.

Out of which they must pay their own expenses.

http://dailydoseofziam.tumblr.com/post/67760705856/about-x-factor-record-deals-and-management
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her attitude, no whining, just getting on with it. Breaking with Syco would be a good thing for her as I'm sure there is work out there. There are plenty of ways to make money through singing without being one of Cowell's puppets and she has had a great launchpad.
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Sam and loved her on X Factor. Great voice and seems extremely down to earth and just greatful for the opportunity she was giving. I wish syco would work more with the winners and try and develop and promote them. This one album quick release then dropped is probably one of the reasons the shows ratings are dwindling. X Factor needs to show the public that it is a show well worth winning.

Best of luck to Sam in the future,i just hope she gets to make a second album and i am also delighted she is not the lowest selling winners album.
  • Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame for Sam, she was a brilliant singer. Maybe if she had chance to record a proper album it wouldve worked out different for her. However she will probably end up west end or presenting.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    It's not a shame. Syco are a terrible, manipulative label who don't give a f**k about their artists. Sam is better off without them and as she says in the article, she has other things planned. She wouldn't be able to do these 'other things' if still contracted to Syco.

I honestly despise Syco. She won the show fair and square yet they have the audacity to lump her with a covers album, which against all odds shot straight to number one, then a re-released covers/Christmas album! It's ridiculous. Yet Tamara is apparently getting the all star treatment.

Syco are a business not a charity. Like all businesses, you make a great contribution and you stay you lose the company money and you are out. All music labels are the same just syco is more high profile
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,451
    Forum Member

Yeah, Leon Jackson and Steve Brookstein are set for life.
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam should never have got up the duff straight afte winning. It's hardly the best time to take a career break!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,451
    Forum Member
    Sam should never have got up the duff straight afte winning. It's hardly the best time to take a career break!

Yes, while I agree with women being able to have children whenever they want it wasn't the greatest idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Forgive me for saying this, but having a daughter myself not planned, these things happen. She wouldnt have planned it, was deffo a career stopper but it's not a life sentance she will get other work.
  • ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does Syco guarantee she will not have another baby in 12 months? It is partly her fault she hasnt shown enough good attitude to work and commitent.The last 12 months were to show that she is reliable for as long as possible.And why talk to the press?
  • ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgive me for saying this, but having a daughter myself not planned, these things happen. She wouldnt have planned it, was deffo a career stopper but it's not a life sentance she will get other work.

Sam Bailey doesnt know about protection? What are you excusing? She had a career to think of and she had children already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Robertfitz wrote: »

She wouldn't be able to do anything in this line of work at all, if it weren't for syco
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see her as another Jane McDonald type as she has a good voice, but in no universe ever was she ever going to be a credible pop star selling masses of records in a youth oriented market.
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »
    Sam Bailey doesnt know about protection? What are you excusing? She had a career to think of and she had children already.

Yeah exactly. When someone is offering you literally the chance of a lifetime after you've invested months of your life in it, and it's something you really want.... why be careless with your family planning at such a critical time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Not surprised at all, this was bound to happen she has barely done much in her first year anyway. She was the wrong person to win the show in the first place (which i thought from the beginning) , i just cant see someone like her ever being a highly successful popstar or a famous recording artist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »

Woah, Erm Im not excusing, but if you read back she said she had problems with her ovaries so maybe she didnt think it would happen or she was drunk I dont know. However yeah it wasnt great timing but life is life.
  • Amy76Amy76 Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is terrible that she wasn't supported properly by Syco - she was not developed at all and she should not have been given an album of covers. She could have been given songs similar to Ella Henderson's which would have been appropriate for her age and not aimed at teenies.

Her pregnancy and maternity leave would not have stopped her singing in a studio or performing on TV - singing isn't like a normal job where you are working full time in an office or shop or whatever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy76 wrote: »
    It is terrible that she wasn't supported properly by Syco - she was not developed at all and she should not have been given an album of covers. She could have been given songs similar to Ella Henderson's which would have been appropriate for her age and not aimed at teenies.

Her pregnancy and maternity leave would not have stopped her singing in a studio or performing on TV - singing isn't like a normal job where you are working full time in an office or shop or whatever.

This, there was nothing stopping them getting her in the studio, Lots of pregnant singers still work - the sad truth is Simon didnt want her to win, hes turned his attention to Tamera,
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Syco are a business not a charity. Like all businesses, you make a great contribution and you stay you lose the company money and you are out. All music labels are the same just syco is more high profile

I think most people know how businesses operate ;)

Thing is, there's no way they've lost money on Sam. She sold 200k plus of her album - an album consisting of covers so therefore was relatively incredibly cheap to produce. Little Mix's last album has done 100k plus, but would have been vastly more expensive to produce with the creation of original material. Maybe with streaming, single sales and merchandise LM's album will have proved as profitable ultimately, but without looking at the books it's impossible to know.

Cowell's propensity for dropping acts is much more to do with personal disinterest on his part than it is actual hard profitability, which is why it's so easy to predict who he'll drop. He might have all the money, but he craves credibility. Sam's not going to help him get that, and she's not going to sell Adele numbers, so she's disposable.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,752
    Forum Member
    They've put no effort into Sam.

Syco is a terrible record label, nobody seems to stay with them for all that long. Even Leona dumped them because they tried to make her do an album she was uncomfortable with.

How many winners are still with them?
    Steve .. no.
    Shayne .. no.
    Leona ... no.
    Leon ... no
    Alexandra ... no
    Joe ... no.
    Matt ... no
    Little Mix.. Yes!
    James ... no
    Sam... not for much longer..
    Ben.. He's only just joined!
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad Fleur didn't win...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    So glad Fleur didn't win...

Tell me about it, Simon always seems to put more effort into runner ups :o

Having said that he does like Ben so, he'l give him a better shot.