Options

Smelly people

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
Forum Member
Here's the deal. Do you think it's OK for people to smell of BO? The reason I ask is I went to my local shopping centre to have a to buy some purfume, and ironicly had to stand behind the smelliest man in the world, ever. I had to move away and wait till he had gone!
I understand some people can't help it, they could be homeless for example, but this fella looked quite presentable and was chatting away on his mobile phone. In this day and age, surely most people have access to water and soap and clean clothes?, or is it just them being lazy?

Comments

• Options
    XXXNaziaXXXXXXNaziaXXX Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are just being lazy either that or they are just mingers.
  • Options
    mollymoralsmollymorals Posts: 13,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the deal. Do you think it's OK for people to smell of BO? The reason I ask is I went to my local shopping centre to have a to buy some purfume, and ironicly had to stand behind the smelliest man in the world, ever. I had to move away and wait till he had gone!
    I understand some people can't help it, they could be homeless for example, but this fella looked quite presentable and was chatting away on his mobile phone. In this day and age, surely most people have access to water and soap and clean clothes?, or is it just them being lazy?

i know the homeless cant help it, and there is a condition that can cause ppl to sweat excessivly, but im sure it only smells once its gone stale?

i might be wrong, but i think most BO smell is due to not washing, and maybe wearing stale clothes.

apparantly sweat dosnt smell when its fresh, only when its stale.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are just being lazy either that or they are just mingers.

Actually that's crap - some people do have sweat problems (i.e. medical conditions).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no excuse for people who smell, unless, as you say, they are homeless for example or have a sweat problem. It doesn't take much to wash quickly! I like to think I'm a very clean person and I do not like people who smell. I'm not snobby, just a bit of a hygiene fanatic. :o When people have BO, I'd think it was only fair for their family or OH etc to tell them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do understand about people who have a medical reason for sweating alot, I took some medication a few years back that made me really hot and sweaty, but I made sure I changed my clothes because it's the stale sweat that smells.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once knew someone who had a sweating problem, and developed a strong smell during the day. Despite this problem, she had a very good looking boyfriend who was completely unaware that she smelt. He had never noticed it, despite most other people finding the smell very noticeable.

It made me wonder if we all have rather different abilities to pick up on smells, and possibly some people genuinely don't realise they stink.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once knew someone who had a sweating problem, and developed a strong smell during the day. Despite this problem, she had a very good looking boyfriend who was completely unaware that she smelt. He had never noticed it, despite most other people finding the smell very noticeable.

It made me wonder if we all have rather different abilities to pick up on smells.

good point :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually that's crap - some people do have sweat problems (i.e. medical conditions).

Still counts as being lazy then...
    Because they could get medical treatment for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming medical treatment works.... On a hot summer day, I doubt it would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i dont think the medical treatements work that well for those conditions nazia, they even have special deodorant for ppl with that condition.

but from what i understand its a very serious sweating issue, as in it pours out of them uncontrolabley..... i beleive too that these ppl are extreme in their hygene?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It made me wonder if we all have rather different abilities to pick up on smells, and possibly some people genuinely don't realise they stink.

Pheremones!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that may be true, my OH's brother has a problem, lovely chap and certainly not lazy, but he can be very whiffy. He seems to be blissfully unaware. I think people's reactions can be very cruel and unnessacarry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,342
    Forum Member
    No its never ok, should always get washed and use deodrant

their just nassssty
  • Options
    mass purgermass purger Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A mate of mine get botox injections to actually stop the sweating. previous to that hse would get a prescription for special bodywashes and deoderants.

Myself however, I dont sweat much at all :p I get away with just using some Johnsons baby powder under my arms :D . ( an no it doesn't gather in a stinking gungey mess)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I shower twice a day, I like to feel clean....and I suffer from OCD slightly I think!!!:o
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am friends with a girl who smells.

She was on medication for her epilepsy, one of the side effects of this was it made her smell.

Her life was made a misery by bullies and she was on the brink of a nervous breakdown at the age of 14 because of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y'know, smelly people aren't only people with B.O problems.
    Some smell of piss or of thier own crap.

I knew of one guy who used to shower once a month and he brushed his teeth only when he felt like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y'know, smelly people aren't only people with B.O problems.
    Some smell of piss or of thier own crap.

Once again, you have enlightened me.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Oh a very warm day, you could launch Apollo 15 on the whiff of my armpits. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I am friends with a girl who smells.

She was on medication for her epilepsy, one of the side effects of this was it made her smell.

Her life was made a misery by bullies and she was on the brink of a nervous breakdown at the age of 14 because of them.

some people are just outright cruel :(

hopefully their karma will be to smell bad, and not know a thing about it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again, you have enlightened me.

Last time I experianced a person like this was in ASDA, there was this fat woman with very hairy armpits, she stank of piss, poo and bo all put together.

It almost made me ill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I experianced a person like this was in ASDA, there was this fat woman with very hairy armpits, she stank of piss, poo and bo all put together.

It almost made me ill.

And to think someone loves you.....
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to tell you guys, but since he gave up smoking, my husband's sense of smell is incredible, and he can smell everyone....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I'm nowhere near him :confused:
    *looks around empty office*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to sit next to a guy whose BO got worse as the week wore on.

It was OK sitting next to him on Monday, but by Friday I needed a gas mask. I spoke to my line manager about it, but she never did have a word with him. In the end I changed desks.