Options

BT now offering 300mb Infinity

2»

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Well, it does say 'up to' 30Mbits upload in the link below. I can't understand why there should be an 'up to' with a pure fibre connection. Unless the sending speed depends on how fast your hardware is.

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Products/Broadband/Fibre_to_the_Premises/index.htm

That's BT Wholesale, who do not sell direct to domestic customers. BT Retail, who do, seem to have chosen not to offer the 30Mbps upload option but information is sketchy on their website. But I found the following page which seems to say 20Mbps upload is the most they will offer on BT Infinity 3 or 4 (FTTP):

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/faster-internet

I regularly get a genuine 19.2Mbps upload (and 72Mbps download) on my FTTC Infinity 2 package and that's faster than the fastest download I ever got on standard broadband. I think very few people would find the faster FTTP packages cost effective (200Mbps £42pm, 300Mbps £52pm) including me.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    That's BT Wholesale, who do not sell direct to domestic customers. BT Retail, who do, seem to have chosen not to offer the 30Mbps upload option but information is sketchy on their website. But I found the following page which seems to say 20Mbps upload is the most they will offer on BT Infinity 3 or 4 (FTTP):

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/faster-internet

I regularly get a genuine 19.2Mbps upload (and 72Mbps download) on my FTTC Infinity 2 package and that's faster than the fastest download I ever got on standard broadband. I think very few people would find the faster FTTP packages cost effective (200Mbps £42pm, 300Mbps £52pm) including me.

It's the only BT site where I could find an FTTP upload speed mentioned. I mustn't have seen the 20Mbits in the link you've put up. I visited that page today but didn't see the mention of the upload speed. That's why I put the other link up. I think the higher speed FTTP packages would be totally overkill. My FTTC connection only gets maxed out sometimes when using torrents. My upload regularly gets maxed out when using torrents though.
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Will speeds like this ever be possible with FTTC?

Maybe, BT have been trialing something called Vectoring. Basically it a system designed to calumniate crosstalk. I could in theory offer speeds of upto 200mbps.

More info here.
  • Options
    lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rossby41 wrote: »
    Maybe, BT have been trialing something called Vectoring. Basically it a system designed to calumniate crosstalk. I could in theory offer speeds of upto 200mbps.

More info here.

BT don't appear to have made up their minds yet but Ireland looks to be deploying it.
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6368-vectoring-to-bring-step-change-in-speeds-in-ireland.html

Brian
  • Options
    Jez_GafysJez_Gafys Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »
    BT FTTP is better than VM Cable, as it doesn't traffic manage nearly as aggressively.

There is no traffic management on VM downloads on uploads.

On a side note I have FTTP and I get around 120mb upload and about 98 download
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Jez_Gafys wrote: »
    According to the current traffic management thread in the VM board on here, only packages above 30Mbps have 'none', and they all have a get-out clause for certain traffic types as per below (but BT's Unlimited packages don't):
    In addition to this, we also apply a temporary speed limit to all peer-to-peer and Newsgroup traffic during peak times to ensure that they do not slow the network down for everyone. For more information please see the tables below.

Presumably that isn't a BT Retail product for domestic users? Who does it and for how much?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a bit back to front, isn't it?
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    I can get between 32 - 41 Mbps on BT Infinity (though I usually get around 36 - 37) yet my Grandma can get 79 - 80 Mbps despite being further from her exchange.

Do they eventually upgrade all exchanges, or is it just pot luck?
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I can get between 32 - 41 Mbps on BT Infinity (though I usually get around 36 - 37) yet my Grandma can get 79 - 80 Mbps despite being further from her exchange.

Do they eventually upgrade all exchanges, or is it just pot luck?

In your cases it's the distance from the cabinet that counts. Most of BT infinity is fibre to the cabinet, then the normal copper phone line between the cabinet and you.

The faster 300Mb speeds been talked about is fibre to the premises, i.e. all the way to your house. This is not available in many areas though.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    In your cases it's the distance from the cabinet that counts. Most of BT infinity is fibre to the cabinet, then the normal copper phone line between the cabinet and you.

The faster 300Mb speeds been talked about is fibre to the premises, i.e. all the way to your house. This is not available in many areas though.

I was just talking about BT Infinity 2, rather than 300Mb speeds.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I was just talking about BT Infinity 2, rather than 300Mb speeds.

It's the distance from the cabinet that counts then. Your Grandma is likely closer to her cabinet than you are to yours.
  • Options
    PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

who supplies your FTTP ?
  • Options
    MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    Yeah they are rolling out FTTP in a few areas in the UK - Penzance for example. Usually where they have been given some incentive (eg BDUK funding) to do so.

Are you in a non-infinity area, or are you one of the poor souls who are directly cabled to the exchange?

Nah, I'm just a poor b*****d that bought a new build in a development where Virgin Media couldn't be arsed to lay cables down. Our options for internet are currently BT and err, BT. Even the crappy 1 bed flat where I was living temporary in a rough ass area had Virgin Media.

Apparently there are rumours that our local exchange is being upgraded at the end of this month.

To say I won't be holding my breath is an understatement.....
  • Options
    MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god, I've gone on today and was able to order BT Infinity.

The unthinkable actually has happened.....