The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Okay so before I get jumped on I've included the broadcast averages for the World Cup games (the highest rated per channel). This is to ensure fairness and from memory DMN did this in 2010 and 2012 in his end of year charts.

Obviously anyone can make their own choice re the WC games but again to ensure fairness I've only included broadcast averages.

Most Watched Programmes of 2014 - Top 20 [Officials]
    01 - 13.87m - World Cup 2014: England v Uruguay (19/06/14) - ITV/HD*
    02 - 12.72m - Sherlock (01/01/14) - BBC 1/HD
    03 - 11.84m - Britain’s Got Talent (12/04/14) - ITV/HD
    04 - 11.78m - World Cup 2014: England v Italy (14/06/14) - BBC 1/HD*
    05 - 11.35m - Call the Midwife (19/01/14) - BBC 1/HD
    06 - 10.75m - Coronation Street (20/01/14) - ITV/HD
    07 - 9.41m - The Voice UK (08/02/14) - BBC 1/HD
    08 - 9.28m - The Musketeers (19/01/14) - BBC 1/HD
    09 - 9.20m - Birds of a Feather (02/01/14) - ITV/HD
    10 - 9.09m - EastEnders (21/04/14) - BBC 1/HD
    11 - 8.94m - Eurovision Song Contest (10/05/14) - BBC 1/HD
    12 - 8.84m - Death in Paradise (11/02/14) - BBC 1/HD
    13 - 8.09m - Jonathan Creek (28/02/14) - BBC 1/HD
    14 - 8.02m - Sport Relief (21/03/14) - BBC 1/HD
    15 - 7.98m - Emmerdale (27/01/14) - ITV/HD
    16 - 7.92m - Silent Witness (02/01/14) - BBC 1/HD
    17 - 7.83m - The Crimson Field (06/04/14) - BBC 1/HD
    18 - 7.64m - Happy Valley (29/04/14) - BBC 1/HD
    19 - 7.59m - Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway (08/03/14) - ITV/HD
    20 - 7.41m - The 7.39 (07/01/14) - BBC 1/HD

*Match average for England v Uruguay: circa 18.51m
    *Match average for England v Italy: 14.70m (as per BARB)

This is the calculation that DMN posted on this thread two years ago during the Euros in 2012:
    ((viewership*length)+(viewership*length))/totallength
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lewie.

You might have to do the ratings with +1 to be a completist and avoid all of the arguments.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks Lewie.

You might have to do the ratings with +1 to be a completist and avoid all of the arguments.

I will do :)

Edit - yeah I think I'll leave it as it is. Plus I can't find several of the figures :p
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lewie.

+1 creates arguments not avoids them. Otherwise you end up with the BBC fans moaning (rightly) because it's not a fair playing field. It's fairest to take the first showing of all channels only.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    burbe wrote: »
    +1 creates arguments not avoids them. Otherwise you end up with the BBC fans moaning (rightly) because it's not a fair playing field. It's fairest to take the first showing of all channels only.

Not checked in on here in ages but it's strangely reassuring to know some things never change. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    I will do :)

Edit - yeah I think I'll leave it as it is. Plus I can't find several of the figures :p
    burbe wrote: »

Then you'll get people here moaning that +1 isn't included! You can't win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Two to adapt Sharpe creator Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a583058/bbc-two-to-adapt-sharpe-creator-bernard-cornwells-the-last-kingdom.html#~oJxcz99TyinFGy#ixzz36zL6nhEx
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

This looks like another good BBC2 drama.
    A coproduction with BBC America and Downton producers; Carnival Films, an 8 x 60 mins commission.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/07/09/bbc-america-greenlights-new-drama-series-the-last-kingdom/280967/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

Sounds very ambitious, looking forward to it.

I have a horrible feeling it'll be New Worlds 2! :o
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ITV match will get a boost of the actual match itself then drop off at 22:45 if there is no Extra Time. They will also tune out at 21:45 to 22:00.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    Not checked in on here in ages but it's strangely reassuring to know some things never change. :D

What - you mean that your never here !! :D
    Forum Member
    The ITV match will get a boost of the actual match itself then drop off at 22:45 if there is no Extra Time. They will also tune out at 21:45 to 22:00.

Anyone predicted a 0-0 draw yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Anyone predicted a 0-0 draw yet?

Not sure if people will stay up for penalty apart from the final.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you've very much alone in that situation, I don't know why you'd switch off a match when Brazil were losing 5-0 and Germany looked like they were on for a record score. If it was 2-0 or something, maybe, but 5-0 is just the most bizarre scoreline.

As for the Beeb picking it, obviously they weren't to know it was going to end like that and it could easily have been as dull as some of Brazil's other matches in the tournaments with them parking the bus. BBC1 are slightly more competitive tonight and, given the freak result, almost certainly ITV will rate lower tonight. Not because it's ITV, natch.

There's a danger again that "Tuesdays are crap on ITV" becomes the catch-all excuse. The reason ITV are crap on Tuesdays usually is because 'stEnders and Holby are on BBC1 and ITV seem totally unable or unwilling to counter. But for the past few weeks that has not been the case because the Tuesday schedules are not what they usually are. Holby hasn't been on Tuesday for weeks. So you can't use the last few Tuesdays and say, oh, ITV are just crap on Tuesdays, nothing to see here, because they don't have the usual Tuesday schedule. Obviously last night was rather different but you can't use "it's Tuesday" as an excuse.

People don't avoid ITV on Tuesday because it's Tuesday. They avoid it because they show a load of crap. Sadly we now seem to have got to the stage where even ITV believe there's something about Tuesdays and so they show a load of crap because it's Tuesday, which is just a self-fulfilling prophecy. Show something good there (like Love Your Garden) and the viewers come back.

What Good Morning Britain need is a big news story when people who don't usually watch breakfast TV do. I don't mean something like an election or hard news like that, because the people who they're trying to attract won't turn to them for that. I mean a big human interest story, even something like a big snowstorm. I know it's a bit of a cynical suggestion but that's going to be what it takes.

But all the evidence shows that when there's a big news story overnight viewers turn to the BBC because they know (or believe) the coverage will be better.The ratings are there to prove it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read that Bill Bailey is hosting Name That Tune. Well that's an interesting choice.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Two to adapt Sharpe creator Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a583058/bbc-two-to-adapt-sharpe-creator-bernard-cornwells-the-last-kingdom.html#~oJxcz99TyinFGy#ixzz36zL6nhEx
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

This looks like another good BBC2 drama.

Very interesting, I've read the books, and can see it working well.

Alfred probably a little under-done in drama really, considering his importance in British history. Whilst of course the main man in the story is a Viking, so that ties in with the success of well, umm, "The Vikings".

In fact I'm pretty surprised after Sharpe, no-one has ever made a series, out of one of Cornwell's other sagas. I'd have thought the yanks would love the Starbuck books. That has direct links to Sharpe too. Maybe too controversial to have a rebel hero though.
    Forum Member
    I've read that Bill Bailey is hosting Name That Tune. Well that's an interesting choice.

But Name That Tune is one of the least interesting formats on earth. Bill Bailey is usually good though I will give him that.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    "The Last Kingdom" is bound to be quite a popular success for BBC TWO drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    "The Last Kingdom" is bound to be quite a popular success for BBC TWO drama.

Hope its like the drama BBC Four used to show. Looks good however.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    A bit of a show off reporting on the BBC's web feed of the football tonight.
    'ITV got the raw end of the deal when it came to broadcasting the semi-finals. On BBC One now is some sort of drama starring Neil from The Office...' is what they have just posted.
    Id laugh if this match beats the BBC's In the ratings but I don't think it's likely through a penalty shootout could peak high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    A bit of a show off reporting on the BBC's web feed of the football tonight.
    'ITV got the raw end of the deal when it came to broadcasting the semi-finals. On BBC One now is some sort of drama starring Neil from The Office...' is what they have just posted.
    Id laugh if this match beats the BBC's In the ratings but I don't think it's likely through a penalty shootout could peak high.

That is all very bizarre. Was that a radio commentary or something?
  • Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Most Watched Programmes of 2014 - Top 20 [Officials]
    18 - 7.64m - Happy Valley (29/04/14) - BBC 1/HD
    The finale got 7.78m

:)
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    That is all very bizarre. Was that a radio commentary or something?
    It was posted on the running text feed on the BBC sport website. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/28200377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to be big!

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/5074021.article
    BBC signals end of quotas

The BBC plans to tear up production quotas and “liberate” in-house teams to pitch to other broadcasters in the biggest “breaking open” of the corporation in its 92-year history.

Just like ITV Studios, The BBC could make hits for other channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    It was posted on the running text feed on the BBC sport website. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/28200377

Bizarre behaviour from the BBC's own web staff. Stay classy.
    Forum Member
    One shot on target in 75mins - wonder if the audience will stick with it to the bitter end.
    Forum Member
    Bizarre behaviour from the BBC's own web staff. Stay classy.

Do you think a certain person might have got himself a job. :D
This discussion has been closed.