Elaine Paige

2»

Comments

• Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norma Desmond, Edith Piaf, Evita, Grizabella...Our Elaine has had some cracking roles
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a bit of an old fashioned diva. Didn't make it in this banal reality tv age where back story/sob story matters more than vocal talent. I've seen Elaine perform. Superb. That is all that matters to me . I don't want to feel I know her/be in a gang of fans.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Her Radio 2 programme is terrible... she isn't a good radio presenter and that 'laugh' is one of the most fake I've ever heard

Why would anyone fake a Bart Simpson laugh?
    She stropped like a mare when Madonna got "her" part in the film Evita....despite knocking 60 at the time :o

I thought Meryl Streep had been promised the film role but was too old when the film finally went into production.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw her in the television show shown on Sky arts
    She is very good
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,007
    Forum Member
    matchmaker wrote: »
    Yes, but Barbara Dickson was the better singer!

Not a chance. I do like Barbara's voice a lot however.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall someone posting, on one of the threads about celeb encounters about Paige, using the 'Don't you know who I am?' line, angrily, & someone replying, 'No, & I couldn't care less!':D
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's probably a bitch from hell, but she has more talent in her little toe than most of the people discussed on here.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    matchmaker wrote: »
    Yes, but Barbara Dickson was the better singer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqnfbkxLlo

think they both do a great job tbh

But this is the best version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6EImNgen8 :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is very talented I will say. I also think she is underrated but to be fair I wasn't even around when she first came out and was in Evita etc so maybe she was everywhere, I really wouldn't know.

As far as theatre actresses go, she's one of a kind (imo). Like I said, her facial expressions alone in her role as Grizabella were heartbreaking as it is, plus to add the songs, I really applaud her
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She stropped like a mare when Madonna got "her" part in the film Evita....despite knocking 60 at the time :o

She was 48 when 'Evita' was released.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »

But this is the best version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6EImNgen8 :D

Thanks for posting - that was really funny. Never seen it before. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though I do prefer this version over all others!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8az1gFoZp4c :blush::D
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marilliona wrote: »
    Though I do prefer this version over all others!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8az1gFoZp4c :blush::D

Actually that is quite good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if we'll see Elaine Paige do another show again? She recently finished a kind of 'farewell' tour of a few dates, but we've not seen her in any productions since the 'cats' DVD release in 1998 (I believe, could be wrong).

Is she retired? She's still got it I think. Maybe not a huge role like Evita, but something similar to 'Cats' (20-25 minutes of on stage time). I'd definitely like to see her!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll see Elaine Paige do another show again? She recently finished a kind of 'farewell' tour of a few dates, but we've not seen her in any productions since the 'cats' DVD release in 1998 (I believe, could be wrong).

Is she retired? She's still got it I think. Maybe not a huge role like Evita, but something similar to 'Cats' (20-25 minutes of on stage time). I'd definitely like to see her!

She was in 'Follies' on Broadway a couple of years back, up with some of the greatest Broadway divas in circulation.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her radio show is a hoot to listen to, she loves name dropping, I have a feeling she might be a diva, and she sounds like she speaks through her teeth.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »

She was in the Drowsy Chaperone in 2007 in the West End.

......and according to Wiki

"Paige played Carlotta in the engagement at the Ahmanson Theatre, Los Angeles, California from 3 May 2012 through 9 June 2012"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I do love our Elaine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vaguely remember reading how she was a stroppy madam when susan boyle got the star billing when they duetted

Maybe shows the level of the woman's rudeness

Elaine worked very hard to get into the industry. Has numerous West End and Broadway shows to her name.

Susan Boyle came second on Britain's Got Talent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    She was 48 when 'Evita' was released.

Yet Eva Peron was 32 when she died ;-)