Helix (Season #2 - US Pace) - Potential Spoilers

Following on from Season #1, Season #2 aired last night, and was watched (by me) not 10 minutes ago. The synopsis indicated there is a time jump between the past, and the present, and that's exactly what we've got; a 30 year time jump.

I'm curious (in the future) whether Alan (who likely isn't dead) has become immortal. If the show is to continue into Season #3 and beyond, then they can hardly keep the core characters mortal and stuck in the past (especially if, as I suspect, Season #3 will continue from the future storyline rather than the past).

Different feel to Season #1, though (as with Season #1) I think we'll have to wait a bit before things start to unravel. Helix seems to be one of those shows that starts slow, then picks up and kick shit off later.

Comments

• margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Following on from Season #1, Season #2 aired last night, and was watched (by me) not 10 minutes ago. The synopsis indicated there is a time jump between the past, and the present, and that's exactly what we've got; a 30 year time jump.

I'm curious (in the future) whether Alan (who likely isn't dead) has become immortal. If the show is to continue into Season #3 and beyond, then they can hardly keep the core characters mortal and stuck in the past (especially if, as I suspect, Season #3 will continue from the future storyline rather than the past).

Different feel to Season #1, though (as with Season #1) I think we'll have to wait a bit before things start to unravel. Helix seems to be one of those shows that starts slow, then picks up and kick shit off later.

I really liked it. I prefer it being out on an island rather than the silver metallic of the arctic station. Plus I like the use of music except in this season it acutally seems to mean something: what does 'do you know the way to san Jose' mean?

I think Alan may be dead in the future but as with Lost and Doctor Who etc can you change the future but not the past? I like that there is a bit of male totty for us girls and I like both the new men. Plus I really thought Peter would die in the first season and am really glad he is still around.

Am really intrigued as to what the hell was going on in the end. Is the girl a carrier and they are sucking out the virus to use against other people.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Am really intrigued as to what the hell was going on in the end. Is the girl a carrier and they are sucking out the virus to use against other people.
    I was under the impression that they were injecting said virus into the girl?
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone give me a quick recap of what happened in the final 3 or 4 episodes of season 1 , without having to download season 1 again I can for the life of me remember what happened.

The last I remember was that plump chemist/doctor who was about to test on monkeys (iirc) was killed.

I also think I remember some mercenarys arrive.

Cheers
    Forum Member
    Can someone give me a quick recap of what happened in the final 3 or 4 episodes of season 1 , without having to download season 1 again I can for the life of me remember what happened.
    IIRC, the mercenaries were part of an organization that are (essentially) immortals - same as our Asian friend. Jery Ryan (ST:VOY's Seven of Nine) turns up, as does her son (to avenge his mothers death at the hands of our Asian friend). They end up taking Julia off with them and then (at the end) it flashes forward and shows Julia a figurehead of said organization.

It's not quite clear who/what the organization is all about (except that they're immortal) but I think that's pretty much all you need to know? To be honest, I'm probably missing loads of details here, but it's been so long since I've seen Season #1 and I no longer have it to watch.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of enjoyed season 1, but it was also quite a mess, and I wish that it had explained more.

I may wait before starting season 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that they were injecting said virus into the girl?

Just watched it again and yes they were pouring it into her. They weren't very subtle just taking her teeth out like that and I can't see Alan being a party to whatever they are doing so he must be a mole which is probably what caused his death.

I like the way they use the day counter as they can use that to move from present day right through the 30 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the promo for next week where Julia is doing ' alas poor Yorick' scene and knows from the skull it isn't Alan. Alan must have a bump on his skull from some accident. However if it isnt him who is it?
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show feels different being set outside the base. Not really feeling the cult, bit interested in what could be killing the immortals.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was an interesting start. The "flash forward" scene as Caleb approached Julia / our heroes closed in on the building was fun. I do wonder tho about Peter and Alan being in the same location. I assume it may all unfold as deliberate but seems just a little bit too co-incidental if not.
    Forum Member
    I'm putting a bet on that Caleb is the child of Alan and the other young scientist (I can't remember her name now).
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm putting a bet on that Caleb is the child of Alan and the other young scientist (I can't remember her name now).

not sure you will find anyone willing to take that bet :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anything is possible: he is about 30 ish and does look a bit like Sarah in colouring. Point is why have her still pregnant if you are not going to use it in the story?

There is something up with Peter. His reaction to Alan being there was too emotional to be nothing.

I have a feeling the lady in charge is the head of a witches coven who probably came there to get away from the witch trials. So called witches did use botanical knowledge for their potions. I think Michael thinks he is in charge but once he crosses her too much she will take over.

Anyway I like this show because it is intriguing. I also noted that this episode did answer some questions early on like what happened to Alan.

I wonder if they are deliberately infecting people as a sacrifice to whatever it is out there. Doing it in secret means they could just say do and so was lost outside. When the boy came back they had to get rid of him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a feeling the lady in charge is the head of a witches coven who probably came there to get away from the witch trials. So called witches did use botanical knowledge for their potions. I think Michael thinks he is in charge but once he crosses her too much she will take over.

I wonder if they are deliberately infecting people as a sacrifice to whatever it is out there. Doing it in secret means they could just say do and so was lost outside. When the boy came back they had to get rid of him.

I agree about the Lady. The Man in charge is a figurehead, but with strings attached to him.

They're purposely infecting people. That was shown at the end of the last episode.
    Forum Member
    A Witch? I think you're confusing your shows. :p
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a bad feeling Sarah will die this season. I think she'll get infected and thats how they'll find out immortals are vulnerable. One thing that has bugged me about Sarah's permanent pregnancy is that if the foetus is also immortal and stopped ageing, then how was Constance Sutton able to give birth to The Scythe and at what point do immortals stop ageing since one of the immortals Alan killed in a flashback was definitely 50's whereas Constance was mid 40's looking and the Scythe was a teenager lookswise. Julia seems to be the same age 30 years later so it can't be that they age as far as middle age and then stop. I really hope this is addressed. There must be some sort of dormant gene that needs to be activated or something because the varying ages (lookswise) of the immortals is really inconsistent with the plot

All in all I liked the episode and the plot is moving a lot quicker than I expected. Also I wonder if Peter is still in league with Illaryia and is using his high ranking position within the CDC to further their cause?

Where is Baillaseros (not sure if thats how to spell his name)? The actor is still credited in the main cast and hasnt appeared at all yet this season.
  • SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have given up on season 2.
    I cant make head or tails as to whats going on unlike series 1 which I loved..this now feels like a very different show to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Witch? I think you're confusing your shows. :p

I don't mean hocus pocus but ' real' witches or ' wise women' were women who dealt with potions made from plants etc the mythology grew a round them. I just thought that looking at the portraits and the earliest was a woman from the 17th century.

We now know that the real villain appears to be Anne's daughter I think her name is Amy. There are so many characters here with their own agenda. The ending was great: mind you I thought Hataki had gone bonkers!
    Forum Member
    We now know that the real villain appears to be Anne's daughter I think her name is Amy. There are so many characters here with their own agenda. The ending was great: mind you I thought Hataki had gone bonkers!
    He has. He's talking/imagining the dead. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next episode is called Densho which is a Japanese phrase for pass on to the next generation. This could mean Julia or Sarah's child and or Amy and the kids. I definitely think the man in the future is Sarahs son. I heard a suggestion that Sarah's taking off her gloves will mean she gets infected. That will mean her pregnancy will start developing and being silver eyes she will survive till it is born. I wonder if the baby will be immune which is why he has survived all this time..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it really odd that the Sarah and Peter are still listed as guest stars and yet I'm almost certain that both of them (Sarah definitely) have had more screen time over the last two seasons than anyone who was a main character. Alan has appeared sporadically throughout episodes this season and Julia doesn't get much time for her SL, while Hataki has been demoted and Sergio Bailaseros is still listed in the starring credits but has yet to appear. It seems the guest stars are fareing better than the main cast at the moment
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next episode is called Densho which is a Japanese phrase for pass on to the next generation. This could mean Julia or Sarah's child and or Amy and the kids. I definitely think the man in the future is Sarahs son. I heard a suggestion that Sarah's taking off her gloves will mean she gets infected. That will mean her pregnancy will start developing and being silver eyes she will survive till it is born. I wonder if the baby will be immune which is why he has survived all this time..

Maybe the Densho thing will be that Hataki gives Julia the cure i.e. passing the knowledge to beat the infection from his generation to hers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next episode following is called Oubliette which is for the dungeon Michael throws Peter and Alan in. They always do things for a reason on this show so they have used the French word for a dungeon for forgetting. These brothers have a lot to forgive and forget. Alan escapes and finds that Kyle has a secret.

Meanwhile we have the three As all together: sister Agnes sister Anne and sister Amy. I know sister Anne is Amy's mum so I dispose sister Agnes is Anne's mum although I must have missed that. There is something fishy about these women. Anyway Agnes tells Michael a secret which he doesn't like. There has been speculation he is an immortal but I just have the notion that these women are not the suppliants he thinks they are.

Plus the actress playing Julia has said her character is the only one to be in both time periods so we should expect her to show up. If Michael is an immortal it might make sense if the cure is being made on the island. In the future Caleb discovers Julia's deception and takes matters into his own hands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I would watch the first 2 EPs to see if I missed any clues. Michael
    looked at Kyle as if he knew him. Plus he hugged Peter and touched Sarah. I think Michael is passing something on when he touches people.

The skull found by Peter and co under the tree was female as was the skull dug up by Julia. I wonder if all the skulls were female.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I would watch the first 2 EPs to see if I missed any clues. Michael
    looked at Kyle as if he knew him. Plus he hugged Peter and touched Sarah. I think Michael is passing something on when he touches people.

The skull found by Peter and co under the tree was female as was the skull dug up by Julia. I wonder if all the skulls were female.

Could be fertility issues. But they are sacrificing children, so they may not be so precious.

Kyle is probably a descendant of someone on the island.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael was touching the ladies again. He must be controlling people through his touch. Has he been alive long enough to know all the women whose portraits are on the wall?

It looked to me like Hatake was about to put the tube down Julia's throat like we saw 30 years earlier. Julia said he killed all those people. He must be around in the present somewhere. I was eexpectying Caleb toi save the day. If Sarah has lost the baby then he doesnt exist to savbe her! Nice to see Sergio again. He is really interesting as he murdered Doreen in a horrible fashion but kind of became a hero so you never know with him where his allegiance lies.

I am hoping that Kyle's secret is he isn't from Texas at all and all that bravado is a lie!

After Oubliette the next episode is M. Domestica ( which I take stands for malus domestica which is the Latin name for an apple tree of the rose family. Agnes dies and Amy creates an outbreak. Was Michael saying he didn't want a new portrait on the wall a threat? Sounded like it to me. Amy wants to be free of him so the disease may be her strategem to counteract whatever Michael is doing. Was it her having the tube down her throat?

Michael torments Peter in the pit. Alan is drugged and attacks Sarah and Julia meets an unexpected immortal at Illaria in the present. I wonder if it is Kyle.