Make up Brushes: Cheap v Professional

LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
Forum Member
Is it worth investing in decent brushes to apply make up? I don't mind spending the money if I know they are going to last but I keep hearing stories about shed hair from some of the leading brands.

What brushes do you ladies use and is it worth spending a bit more on them. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good make up brushes make cheap make up look amazing. It also depends if you wish to use real hair or synthetic brushes. Screenface do good synthetic brushes as do Ecotools (budget and good quality for the price) and Illamasqua (expensive, no fall out and good quality).

Good doesn't always equal expensive. Crown, No7, Screenface and Bodyshop do decent ones that won't be too expensive.

I use a Clinique foundation brush, No 7 smoky eyeliner brush and blusher brush, MAC 217 eyeshadow brush, GOSH eyeshadow brush, Crown lip brush, blender brush and fanbrush, Illamasqua eyeliner brush and Screenface concealer brush.

I have a few MAC brushes that I never use and can't remember buying.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    The Body Shops make-up brushes are really good, I have some as a spare set for when I wash the ones I use. The ones I use are pro-silk http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silk-Pro-12-Piece-Professional-Cosmetic/dp/B002USC9O0/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1318584526&sr=1-2 my sister bought them for me a few years ago and they are brilliant. I love the fact I now have a brush for everything and they can be kept in their own case which is so much more tidy than having them loose.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    ^^^ Thanks. I have a Silk Pro dome blush brush, it is fantastic - very soft and silky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pleased with the brushes I've got from Eyeslipsface. Do a search in google for the website, they are the budget range from the people who do Urban Decay makeup.

They are dirt cheap, about £12 for a set of makeup brushes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    ELF brushes are great. The ones with the black handles (Studio?) are great value, especially given the amount of 40/50% off special offers they do.

I'm also a fan of the no.7 brushes, especially with a £5 off voucher. I don't find the MAC brushes I have that superior for the price difference.
  • moomeemoomee Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Good brushes are always worth investing in, they can make any make up look good. I have a Bobbi Brown eyeshadow brush & must have had it 15 years + & it comes up just like new when it is washed.
    There's an excellent Stila set on Lookfantastic at the moment, £18 for 5 brushes. I paid almost twice that for one powder brush & it's been fantastic.

http://www.lookfantastic.com/beauty/stila/stila-gifts-&-packs/stila-winter-brush-set-5-products.html
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I was told that MAC are the best. They aren't. Their blusher brushes moulted black hairs every time I used them, and it was a pain picking them off my face and neck. Felt like the blimmin wolfman. :mad:

I have always found Body Shop and No7 to be very good value.
    I use Body shop for blusher and No7 for eyeshadow at the moment and they have been going strong for ages. With frequent washes, of course.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,980
    Forum Member
    Do any of you use Wowcher?

They have an offer of 1 professional make up brushes (made with real hair) in a pouch for £19.99 (usually £135).

I need to get some new brushes at some point so I might buy these.

http://www.wowcher.co.uk/deals/national-deal/deal-1169-detail/19-99-instead-135-professional-21-piece-make/deal.html
  • chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    I use Mac and Bobbi Brown brushes, cant beat em
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Not sure. But I've beeen a loyal customer of Body Shop. It has been realy good both in terms of money and quality.
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use the GOSH ones from Superdrug, not too expensive and they're good quality.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,980
    Forum Member
    I ordered some make up brushes from Wowcher last month. They arrived today.

These are the ones I have but they were £19.99 on Wowcher (usually £135). I can't wait to use them.

It's a 21 piece professional set in a leather pouch.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Body Shop brushes, I've used them for years.
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, it's worth paying a little bit more for decent brushes. Your make up, however cheap and cheerful, will look fantastic by comparison to using cheaper brushes.

You can feel the difference when you touch them.

I can recommend Ruby and Millie brushes. They're at the cheaper end of the "good brushes" market and totally worth every penny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mimi cole - i got the same from Groupon

Im a firm believer in decent brushes. My sis an her friend have a thick blusher brush so splayed and coarse its repulsive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mimi cole - i got the same from Groupon

Im a firm believer in decent brushes. My sis an her friend have a thick blusher brush so splayed and coarse its repulsive.
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dakota. wrote: »

They are good quality for the price, iv'e got a couple of those
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Body Shop brushes, I've used them for years.

And another vote here. I've had most of my Body Shop brushes for years and they're still as good as new.
  • LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    You can get 5 brushes from The Body Shop for £15. They don't the blusher brush though

I used Max Factor brushes for the past few months and they are completely rubbish. I thought since there make up is good there brushes must be as well but they fell apart :(
  • LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    Do any of you use Wowcher?

They have an offer of 1 professional make up brushes (made with real hair) in a pouch for £19.99 (usually £135).

I need to get some new brushes at some point so I might buy these.

http://www.wowcher.co.uk/deals/national-deal/deal-1169-detail/19-99-instead-135-professional-21-piece-make/deal.html

Those look amazing! Wish I was able to buy them, will the same offer be back?
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use E.L.F's studio eyeshadow brushes and love them, but their stippling brush is awful as the bristles spread so much.
  • sharon7sharon7 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Those look amazing! Wish I was able to buy them, will the same offer be back?

The offer is back on http://links.kgbdeals.com/t.d?AYGo3OwCi6SpWK=https://www.kgbdeals.co.uk/national/deals/75443/make-up-brush-set---4u2go---national or go directly to the KGB deals website
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I ordered some make up brushes from Wowcher last month. They arrived today.

These are the ones I have but they were £19.99 on Wowcher (usually £135). I can't wait to use them.

It's a 21 piece professional set in a leather pouch.

These look very similar to the fake MAC brushes that are knocking around ebay all the time..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAC-24-PIECE-BRUSH-SET-LEATHER-POUCH-BRAND-NEW-/250985556854?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_up_Cosmetics_Make_up_Brushes_PP&hash=item3a6fe7ab76
  • BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dakota. wrote: »

I use the GOSH ones too. Individually purchased ones, not a gift set.

The hairs don't break and come out and no dye rubs off the brushes onto your face. Yes I have had the misfortune of buying brushes that crap!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    I have a set of Sigma brushes, which are like MAC brushes but a lot cheaper. I got a full set of 12 brushes for $89 (it's an American site) which works out at about £56 for a set of 12 makeup brushes, which I think is really good value. Link here http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Complete_Kit_p/ck001.htm

The selection includes a good range of eye brushes, a few different shaders (I use the angled shader for blending into my socket), a small tapered point for creases, a medium sized eyeliner brush (which won't let you do a really small defined line but is good for those thicker winged lines), an angled eyebrow brush (which is exactly like the MAC equivalent), a foundation, blush and face brush. Mine came with a gorgeous leather-style tube case to hold them in, but I'm not sure if they still sell the same range as I bought mine just under a year ago. The only thing I'd say lets this set down is it doesn't have a brow and eyelash comb as standard, and even you splash out on the full 15 piece professionals brush set (at $149/£94) you still don't get one, which is a let down.

I've also tried Body Shop in the past, and although I think they are ok I don't really use my set as much as I do my Sigma brushes which imo are better quality and you get more for your money (Body Shop brushes you get a set of 10 for £89 if you buy from a Body Shop Rep, and the angled brush is more like an eye brush/brow brush is twice the thickness of my Sigma and not as nice to use). However, if you want an easy to use no nonsense good quality set of brushes then Body Shop is the way to go. They are more user friendly for people who maybe don't mess about with their makeup too much like I do, and the quality of the bristles is really nice.

Another brand I am wanting to try is Real Techniques, which is the brush set from Pixiwoo's Samantha Chapman, and I think they have just started selling those in Boots. These ones actually come in 3 sets which I think are Essentials, Eyes and Face and Sam has marketed some of the brushes as multi-use, so I would like to try them out at some point because I am a long-time Pixiwoo subscriber and from those vids the brushes look quite good.

Hope that helps :) and sorry for the essay - my posts always end up wordy lol