Options

McDonalds food safety?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any mcdonalds workers on here? Or people who eat there regularly?

I ate in a McDonalds this afternoon for the first time in a lot of years, mainly because I was bullied into it but as a "recovering" emetophobe I'm a bit stressed about it. Can anyone put my mind at rest about the food processes - likelihood that the food was safe (fresh, properly cooked etc). I had a grilled chicken salad. Chicken looked cooked properly and was pretty hot but was very moist which always makes me paranoid. Is it cooked from frozen or cooked in a way that is foolproof enough to make sure it's always properly cooked?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's McDonalds, a worldwide company, I'm sure it's fine.
  • Options
    LittlemarkLittlemark Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Check out the scores on

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk

It seems pretty much every McDonalds get 5 stars which is the highest hygiene rating you can get, so try not to worry :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Littlemark wrote: »
    Check out the scores on

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk

It seems pretty much every McDonalds get 5 stars which is the highest hygiene rating you can get, so try not to worry :)

that was helpful, thank you :-)
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With chicken its a simple rule....if its white its all right and if its pink chuck it in the drink

But at maccy'ds you can guarantee that its designed that every dish can be cooked by an idiot safely as the last thing they want is a few scares affecting sales
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    The foods fine, never had any trouble with any food from McDonald's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all you've really put my mind at rest :-)
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    A while back I was in a Mcdonalds and went to the loo. I was washing my hands when a toilet cubicle door opened an a guy walked straight past me and out into the restaurant.
    How many people used that door after washing their hands and got his excrement on their hands after that?
    Two points-
    1 I have since noticed that all McDonald's doors open in towards the loos, you have to use the handles to get back into the restaurant. If they opened the other way at least you could open the door with your arm.
    2 McDonalds, like most other fast food outlets, don't provide cutlery. All the customers then go out and eat their food with their excrement covered hands.

Its not the food hygiene that people should worry about, its the other peoples excrement you pick up off the door handles/ hard surfaces.:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A while back I was in a Mcdonalds and went to the loo. I was washing my hands when a toilet cubicle door opened an a guy walked straight past me and out into the restaurant.
    How many people used that door after washing their hands and got his excrement on their hands after that?
    Two points-
    1 I have since noticed that all McDonald's doors open in towards the loos, you have to use the handles to get back into the restaurant. If they opened the other way at least you could open the door with your arm.
    2 McDonalds, like most other fast food outlets, don't provide cutlery. All the customers then go out and eat their food with their excrement covered hands.

Its not the food hygiene that people should worry about, its the other peoples excrement you pick up off the door handles/ hard surfaces.:eek:

Yes, but these people are not exclusive to McDonald's, so unless you propose we all sit at home, covered from head to toe in anti bacterial gel, it can't be avoided. Someone at my old workplace did exactly the same thing when they came out of the loos. Some people simply do not care about hygeine.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its disgusting that people dont wash their hands after using the toilet..

another one is peanuts on the bar..

nasty
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Any mcdonalds workers on here? Or people who eat there regularly?

I ate in a McDonalds this afternoon for the first time in a lot of years, mainly because I was bullied into it but as a "recovering" emetophobe I'm a bit stressed about it. Can anyone put my mind at rest about the food processes - likelihood that the food was safe (fresh, properly cooked etc). I had a grilled chicken salad. Chicken looked cooked properly and was pretty hot but was very moist which always makes me paranoid. Is it cooked from frozen or cooked in a way that is foolproof enough to make sure it's always properly cooked?

If you haven't had the shits and aren't talking to uncle Ralph then you are fine. Ethics, environmental impact and taste are something else entirely.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two points-

One reason I always take napkins with me, which I wrap my hands in after I've washed them so that I can open the door. But I always open the door at the very top of the handle anyway, as it's likely to be the cleanest.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In most fast food restaurants you can see the food preparation area to some extent. McDonalds' have a leaflet available which lists the ingredients and calories etc of each item on the menu and that information is also provided on their web site.

Any restaurant where the food is prepared out of sight of the customers worries me far more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    One reason I always take napkins with me, which I wrap my hands in after I've washed them so that I can open the door. But I always open the door at the very top of the handle anyway, as it's likely to be the cleanest.

Talk about overkill. You aren't going to get ill from what you pick up on door handles. Apart from washing hands after using the toilet, I never take precautions. I don't use special hand wash any other time, I use door handles in public places as designed, I sometimes eat food if I've dropped it on the floor (and so do my young children). Guess what, I rarely get a tummy bug, I don't get ill that often.

Too many people worry about this sort of thing and quite frankly, it's a load of nonsence.

Rant over.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it; McDonald's is one of those companies where there are quite a lot of people who seem to have an irrational hatred of them and are lurking around every corner waiting to write headlines should they step out of line in any way.

Therefore, MacDonald's has a lot of pressure to stay squeaky clean - in all aspects, especially in the kitchen and their business ethics etc.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have these sort of disorders aren't you suppose to work on reassuring yourself rather than seek it from other people? These phobia's aren't rational so it's pointless debating them on here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no shame in suffering from `OCD`, do a Google search for suggestions,.. And I know of many people who wont eat at McDonalds for other reasons.
    Staff Nose picking & wiping sweat off their brow put me off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    el_bardos wrote: »
    Pretty much agree. But for those who are paranoid, would it not be easier instead of taking napkins and stuff with you to just open door with left hand, eat with right hand?
    Culturally of course a number of countries still consider the left hand ‘dirty’ anyway, due to its historic use as the ‘wiping’ hand pre toilet paper.
    Somehow the human race survived.

Or just use hand sanitizer before eating?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    el_bardos wrote: »
    That too.
    Sorry I got distracted by my own rambling mind :o

;):D it does seem major overkill....(the door hankies, not sanitizer)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    But at maccy'ds you can guarantee that its designed that every dish can be cooked by an idiot safely as the last thing they want is a few scares affecting sales

Fair enough but don't be a **** about it. At least the "idiots" have a job unlike many on here.

OP: I worked in McD's for 4 years from 2000 onward, you will not find a more food-safe environment. If McD's had a health scare it would be all over the news and they would lose millions, they simply cannot afford that and so regulations are tighter than many professional establishments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it matter, if your not feeling ill by now and you don't get a bad stomach soon your be fine.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Let's face it; McDonald's is one of those companies where there are quite a lot of people who seem to have an irrational hatred of them and are lurking around every corner waiting to write headlines should they step out of line in any way.

Therefore, MacDonald's has a lot of pressure to stay squeaky clean - in all aspects, especially in the kitchen and their business ethics etc.

I don't have a hatred of them but I don't like their burgers, mainly because the texture of every component part of the burger is exactly the same, from the bun through the gherkin to the burger itself. The breakfasts are fine though. As for cleanliness, probably the best in any fast food restaurant and better than many sit down places. They are the perfect place for a MacShit when you're somewhere like Beijing and want a clean toilet, but I wouldn't want to eat there.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    There's no shame in suffering from `OCD`, do a Google search for suggestions,.. And I know of many people who wont eat at McDonalds for other reasons.
    Staff Nose picking & wiping sweat off their brow put me off

I'm more concerned about eating in Mitchelin starred restaurants, judging by the many cookery programs on tv. Chefs regularly plate up using their bare hands to precisely place the food, and are often seen wiping the sweat off their brow etc..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McDonalds are widely recognised in the catering and hospitality industry as having some of the best food hygiene standards and reputation in the world.

When I was doing my qualification with the royal society of public health we used McDonalds as a case study of best practice. They have such rigorous procedures in place because of the scale of their operation and the consistency that their brand standards dictate.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thedrewser wrote: »
    Talk about overkill. You aren't going to get ill from what you pick up on door handles. Apart from washing hands after using the toilet, I never take precautions. I don't use special hand wash any other time, I use door handles in public places as designed, I sometimes eat food if I've dropped it on the floor (and so do my young children). Guess what, I rarely get a tummy bug, I don't get ill that often.

Too many people worry about this sort of thing and quite frankly, it's a load of nonsence.

Rant over.

In France it's very common to see people not washing their hands and they've a very long life expectancy there.

Back on topic I would have less worry about McDonald's than I would a lot more expensive places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, well I didn't expect this to become such a hive of activity. To the people who commented along the lines of why debate it with other people when I should be seeking self reassurance, and surely if I'm not ill then I'll know I'm ok.......what can I say?

I have actually (believe it or not) had a VERY successful treatment of my phobia/OCD issues and have just a few residual behaviours and worries left behind, namely those I've never had cause to face Eating in McDonalds was a HUGE deal for me, hence it kicked off my anxieties a little last night. Obviously I knew that the only way I'd know whether I had food poisoning was to wait and see if it happened, but seeking and receiving reassurance on here helped me not to spend the entire evening worrying myself about it.

I'm not sure you wanted me to justify myself but there, I have!