Jerusalem As English National Anthem

DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I admit I was surprised to hear this earlier, and a few times since..

Sure its better than God Save The Queen, but virtually anything is

I am not really feeling it as the English anthem, and also what about the non Jesus believers ?

Comments

• Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    There was a vote in 2010 to decide England's anthem for the 2010 Games and Jerusalem was the outright winner over Land of Hope and Glory & GSTQ.
  • BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it, so much more inspiring than that awful dirge we are usually stuck with.
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 131,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bizza wrote: »
    Love it, so much more inspiring than that awful dirge we are usually stuck with.

Totally agree!

I would have preferred Land of Hope and Glory but Jerusalem is fine. I cannot listen to the usual dirge, especially after hearing some of the other more inspiring anthems at the World cup, for instance.

Let's hope the other sporting England teams follow suit, although I won't hold my breath.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I admit I was surprised to hear this earlier, and a few times since..

I am not really feeling it as the English anthem, and also what about the non Jesus believers ?
    All three mentioned in this thread mention God or Jesus.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member

Flower of Scotland is even more of a dirge. The Welsh are running out of competitors, but have a much better anthem.
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute drivel. Flower of Scotland is a great national anthem with the bagpipes. I don't know why national anthems have to be so classical based in this day and age. I'd love a GSTQ Rhythm Masters remix or something.
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I like Jerusalem as the England. I don't think God Save the Queen should ever be used when England compete as it is the National Anthem of the UK, not England.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Benjamin Britten’s version of GSTQ is anything but dirge imo.

Whisper is quietly but I loved the Fat Les version of Jerusalem. :D
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    Benjamin Britten’s version of GSTQ is anything but dirge imo.

Whisper is quietly but I loved the Fat Les version of Jerusalem. :D

Land Of Hope and Glory is the best of the Three for me, very rousing, maybe a tad too much.

Ideally I would have the end of the Stone Roses I am The Resurrection, or maybe the Pixies Debaser
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerusalem is a series of questions to which the answer is 'No'.
    In which respect it is just like 'Do you want to touch?' by Gary Glitter.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's definitely better.

Flower of Scotland is good for the rugby, but Scotland the Brave would be better for the medals ceremonies at the Commonwealth Games.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountains green:
    And was the holy Lamb of God,
    On England's pleasant pastures seen!"

Afraid not, England did not exist as a unified state until around 900 years after Jesus' death.
  • earlofbedlamearlofbedlam Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    There are many other tunes that could have been used. The Archers theme , "English Country Garden" or even "Combine Harvester" could have been as apt.
    Forum Member
    But maybe not I am a cider drinker.
  • alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »

Afraid not, England did not exist as a unified state until around 900 years after Jesus' death.

If Jesus even existed that is.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »

"On the area later to be known as the unified state of England's pleasant pastures seen" just didn't scan as well apparently - call it artistic licence!
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't have been pleasant pastures then either - covered in forests.
  • CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I'm Scottish - and Jerusalem makes ME cry! Once we get independence in Sept (fingers crossed) you should petition to make it your national anthem - you won't have any more rebellious Scots to crush :p It really is an emotional and stirring piece of music.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    GSTQ wasn't used for England in the CG.

It used to be Land of hope and glory. I think that works better as a national anthem tha Jerusalem.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    GSTQ wasn't used for England in the CG.

It used to be Land of hope and glory. I think that works better as a national anthem tha Jerusalem.

Was Land of Hope and Glory not written partly to celebrate the British Empire? Don't think one country should be laying claim to it. Britain/England seem to be interchangeable at times, it shouldn't be encouraged, it's a slap in the face to the rest of Britain's involvement.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main problem with 'Jerusalem' is that it appears to be very hard for crowds to sing spontaneously

Maybe someone who knows about music could explain why.......maybe something to do with the way it starts with a musical phrase and in the absence of that no one knows when to start.........or maybe it rises in pitch throughout and amateurs start too high and grind to a halt when they can't hit higher notes.....
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    They should have just had "Engerlund, Engerlund, Engerlund! Engerlund, Engerlund, Enger-luh-und!!" :D
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    The main problem with 'Jerusalem' is that it appears to be very hard for crowds to sing spontaneously

Maybe someone who knows about music could explain why.......maybe something to do with the way it starts with a musical phrase and in the absence of that no one knows when to start.........or maybe it rises in pitch throughout and amateurs start too high and grind to a halt when they can't hit higher notes.....

I was surprised when I found out Jerusalem was the national anthem, I don't think this vote was widely publicised, everyone I've spoken too thought we had Land of Hope and Glory.

I hadn't really seen much coverage until yesterday. Watched a couple of medal ceremonies yesterday and Jerusalem wasn't really doing it for me. I love it but, in at least a sporting context, I think Land of Hope and Glory would fit better.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been saying this for years. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own anthems at sports events so why can't England? Who knows maybe even the England football team could be stirred from their apathy with Jerusalem replacing the dreary God Save The Queen. Then again maybe not.